Post your comments about official MTBS game reviews here.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

PressBot

Post by PressBot »

Neil

Avatar: The Game (Official Review!)

Post by Neil »

The Avatar game review is up!

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/game_revi ... news_id=67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Share your thoughts and findings here!

Regards,
Neil
Nobsi
Cross Eyed!

Re: Avatar: The Game (Official Review!)

Post by Nobsi »

Well done review Neil!

Playing some hours over the weekend I heard myself saying loud WOW here and there, and I'm by no means a 3D-newbie. (I already played in 3D on my 3Dfx Voodoo2 cards with the Wicked 3d driver once upon a time.)

But I have one thing to complain:
I'm totally unlucky with the stereoscopic separation setting of the game and the fact that it is not adjustable. Most often the scenery looks really miniaturized, especially after entering one of the various vehicles.
I much more like to play with 3D-settings who gives the game-world real size, which increases the immersion for me drastically. (No more "Oh look at that little beast, how sweet"). Currently I'm forced to play with settings I don't like.

So my only wish to Ubisoft (beside fixing the black triangles flashing problem, which I also had here and there):

PLEASE ADD A SLIDER FOR STEREO CONVERGENCE ADJUSTMENT IN THE GAME OPTIONS!
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

I rented Avatar for PS3 and have it hooked to my DLP tv. I have to say visually this game is stellar. 3D setup is much like Invincible Tiger was on the Xbox. You just go into in-game menus and turn it on. Then put your TV in 3D mode. The screen size and distance adjustments are nice. There is also a 3D effects scailer which would be nice for folks that cant take as much depth. I left mine on default. I did notice some slight ghosting when things were meant to pop out of the screen, but it was very easy to ignore.

I played for about 2 hours on the first level just running around looking at the visuals. However, to me this game is unplayable because of the controls. I really want to give it another shot so I can see more of the game, I just can't get used to the combat. Maybe when you get into your Avatar body the game might be more fun. I may get a buddy of mine who is good at games to come play it so I can just watch him.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I've had no control issues what-so-ever on the pc with a mouse and a keyboard. Everything works perfectly. Are the console controls that bad ?
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
edgoll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by edgoll »

The keyboard vehicle controls did seem a bit flaky for the pc but using the xbox controller with the pc for driving and flying solved that for me. All in all the game is superb. I hope they do a sequel or dlc addon's.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I got my dvd a few days ago but recently started to play. I choosed the na'vis side and i'm simply enchanted. The game is pretty linear so far though. The graphic makes up for it. I just love simply running around and watch the environment. The day and night cycles is another awesome thing that brings a good immersion to the game.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Another note to those using DLP TV's. I had to swap left/right eyes in the setup to get proper 3D. The subtitle text at the bottom of the screen was un-readable until I did so.

Back to controls... I can't seem to target mobs properly with the PS3 controller. The jungle cats just run slap by me before i can target them. I figured out that R2 slows down combat (matrix style) but it still hard to target. Is there something that I'm missing? Perhaps a target lock on button or something.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Just so you guys know, this game and the deluxe version are half price on Steam right now.

Just bought the deluxe version, will post impressions when I play through it some.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Thanks for the tip, PalmerTech. I just bought the special edition as a xmas present to myself.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Yeah, gonna try to get through the whole game fast so I can lend a tip to any friends who want to buy it, the sale ends January 3rd.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

So I have been playing through the game as the Na'vi. I find the game to be very fun, graphics are good, its entertaining. The 3D effects are top-notch, perfect stereo. Any fan to S3D should pick this game up. Firstly because its a very good game with high quality stereo visuals, but also because its the first major PC game to have native stereo 3D implemented and we should support this move.

I got the best experience on my Zalman 22" by setting:

3D Intensity: 2.0
Use Imperial Units: On
Screen Size: 8 inches
Distance to Screen: 6 feet
b39ppr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by b39ppr »

Thank you for the review.
I'm having a Vuzix VR920 but I can't see a 3D stereo option for it.
I also have an anaglyph glasses but that is not supported as well.
Any suggestion?
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

So I have been playing through the game as the Na'vi. I find the game to be very fun, graphics are good, its entertaining. The 3D effects are top-notch, perfect stereo. Any fan to S3D should pick this game up. Firstly because its a very good game with high quality stereo visuals, but also because its the first major PC game to have native stereo 3D implemented and we should support this move.
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. :?

I'm not a big gamer but after seeing the graphics and 3D effect I decided it was a must have. I agree with you too Cybereality. The fact that the game has native stereo support is a big attraction and I do feel a duty to support it because of that.

Gae43
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

b39ppr wrote:Thank you for the review.
Any suggestion?
I'm sorry but neither the VR920 or anaglyph is supported on Avatar. Just another reason we need standards.
b39ppr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by b39ppr »

cybereality wrote:
b39ppr wrote:Thank you for the review.
Any suggestion?
I'm sorry but neither the VR920 or anaglyph is supported on Avatar. Just another reason we need standards.
Thank you for your reply.
Just wanna add that since Avatar do not use IZ3D driver, I can't use VR920 mode from IZ3D driver as well.

How about the eDimentional glasses? Does the old nVidia stereo driver work with this game?
I still have a 7900GT somewhere in my room.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Heh guys I need some help with the game. I have it up and running fine, 3D looks great but I'm having serious problems with the mouse movement "looking" controls. I'm using the Xpadder profiler with a Playstation console for the PC. I've set the mouse movement to low in both the Win XP control Panel and the Game itself and I've also experimented with all the various types of settings in the Xpadder advanced settings. Whatever I try though, the mouse "look" function always springs up quickly into the aerial camera view. I'll be running along fine and the mouse is working OK when I make small movements but then suddenly if I move the mouse a bit too much when aiming the screen just jumps up quickly to the aerial view and of course totally ruins any chance for accurate gameplay. Any ideas? I've read somewhere about turning off v-sync or switching on triple buffering in the NVidia Control Panel, so I might try these next time I play. It's so frustrating. I have this great game waiting to be played but can't because of these mouse control problems.
One more question. I'm playing it in 3D using "line interlaced" for my shutters and the Infocus X1. I've looked at the other 3D layouts but can't work out whether or not I can do the game in page flip mode. I guess I have the option of using the iX3D driver if I want.

Thanks for any help...
Gae43
anibanani
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by anibanani »

I can't get the demo to work. The first time went fine, i chose Nvidia 3d Vision in the options menu, and there was no problems. But the next time i tried to launch the game, it just freezes in a black screen immediately after i load it. Have windows 7 x64 and the newest Nvidia drivers. I think it has something to do with me enabling stereoscopic 3d and Nvidia 3dvision in the options menu.
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

Got mine working now but still having ocassional problems with the gamepad controller. Even if I use the default mouse, the game will be running fine and then in the middle of an attack, the "look" spring just keeps shifting up and down with no control. Annoying, because the game looks and plays great. I'm particularly enjoying climbing the rocks and firing down on the enemy from 100 feet above.... :lol:

Gae43
Amagai

Re: Avatar: The Game

Post by Amagai »

Enough of your ad spam jerk
Neil

Post by Neil »

By Neil Schneider Introduction General Game Review Stereoscopic 3D Findings Conclusion

Return to “MTBS Game Review User Remarks”