Final Part of Crytek Interview is UP!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

"In my opinion, most of the game developers need more guts." - Jens Schöbel, Crytek

We finally released part three of our interview with Jens Schöbel, Technical Designer (and stereoscopic 3D wiz) for Crytek!  Today, Jens talks about industry cohesion, product branding, and 3D game certification.  Very interesting, indeed!  Check the interview out, and share your remarks.
Read full article...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Final Part of Crytek Interview is UP!

Post by Fredz »

Unfortunately, there's again no information about the technique they use for S-3D, seems they don't want to loose their competitive edge in this field. Which is weird since they already shared quite a lot of info and published some papers about the techniques they use for 2D rendering.

Not much new information overall in this interview, despite the really well crafted questions. Only a useful reminder about the problems that are inherent to 3D movies at home due to the varying size of 3D displays.

That and the fact that they don't consider Avatar: The Game to be a perfect S-3D experience. It could be a good idea to modify M3GA to allow more than 100% since Avatar is already at this level (despite alleged depth violations for the HUD)... :twisted:

We'll have to wait longer...
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

They could at least update crysis (1) to make it compatible with S-3D. It's so frustrating not being able to run it in S-3D while I read how excited the crytek developers are about S-3D :(
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I've read again the notes they published at HPG 2010, and in fact I'm not sure they really did find a better technique than the ones which already do exist to calculate a 3d scene from only one view and the depth buffer.

In their paper, they list their different stereo rendering modes :
  • - Brute-force stereo rendering
    - Central eye frame with reprojection
    - Experimental stochastic rendering from one of eyes
The fact that they list the brute-force mode - in first position even - and that they've got experimental modes makes me think the other modes might not be as good looking as the first one. Still waiting for some info, but with a lot less faith now...

You're right crim3, it would be nice if they updated their previous titles, but I guess they're hard working on CryEngine 3 and Crysis 2 for now and don't have much time for other, less important things for them.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Crysis 2

“In my opinion, most of the game developers need more guts.” – Jens Schöbel, Crytek

We finally released part three of our interview with Jens Schöbel, Technical Designer (and stereoscopic 3D wiz) for Crytek!  Today, Jens talks about industry cohesion, product branding, and 3D game certification.  Very interesting, indeed!  Check the interview out, and share your remarks.

Return to “MTBS News”