Thinking of pulling the trigger!!

VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Thinking of pulling the trigger!!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Hey Vr fellas!

I've tried many stereo3d hmd's and used my CRT with the red/blue shades, even my shutters from EDemsions.
3D is the way I like to play, the helmets are good with no ghosting and the 3d is good BUT I do think I see more depth when playing on the monitors and the picture is bigger. Im using a 19inch right now and I need to know with the problems that I've read about the IZ3d monitor, is it still worth the $$$ right now? Im used to the ghosting I see with the shutters and the red/blue so will the ghosting be worse or the same? I've read about new glasses coming out! Are the ones that come with the monitor no good? Should I buy another pair, if so which ones would you refer. I don't wear glasses so im not sure the clip on are something to buy as I read those worked good for some. If you could, just say yeah it's worth the investment or just hold on. I like to just plug and play, I do though have to tinker around get things to work but I really don't want to go and read many post about this and that and how to work around things. If most find this to be more work then play then I'll wait.

So I hope I get alot of feedback because im sure there are many differant feeling on the monitor...
tnx everyone

Ku
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

hi! well first off check out this graph I made where I compare it to shutterglasses+19' CRT

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2012

I have not used an HMD but have both the iz3d and shutterglasses and boy is it better than shutterglasses- no flicker, no eyestrain at all- you can play for like forever! You will get more ghosting ,which will be less noticeable if you use high separation and tilt the monitor backwards and also after your brain gets used to it it will help tune it out (I know sounds confusing but bottom line I hardly notice the ghosting anymore these days). The fact that it's widecreen totally adds to the immersion. Also you can see the text without any problems unlike shutterglasses. Should you wait for the new glasses? Could take a while since they are only about to begin initial testing so could be months if not more before the final product is released, and since they will probably cost as much as the old ones (10$) you can 'update' anytime rather than waiting months in agony and uncertainty. Hope that was of some help, cheers!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
ddorpm
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Thinking of pulling the trigger!!

Post by ddorpm »

VRgamesterz wrote:Hey Vr fellas!

I've tried many stereo3d hmd's and used my CRT with the red/blue shades, even my shutters from EDemsions.
3D is the way I like to play, the helmets are good with no ghosting and the 3d is good BUT I do think I see more depth when playing on the monitors and the picture is bigger. Im using a 19inch right now and I need to know with the problems that I've read about the IZ3d monitor, is it still worth the $$$ right now? Im used to the ghosting I see with the shutters and the red/blue so will the ghosting be worse or the same? I've read about new glasses coming out! Are the ones that come with the monitor no good? Should I buy another pair, if so which ones would you refer. I don't wear glasses so im not sure the clip on are something to buy as I read those worked good for some. If you could, just say yeah it's worth the investment or just hold on. I like to just plug and play, I do though have to tinker around get things to work but I really don't want to go and read many post about this and that and how to work around things. If most find this to be more work then play then I'll wait.

So I hope I get alot of feedback because im sure there are many differant feeling on the monitor...
tnx everyone

Ku
Hi VR,

First let me say WELCOME ABOARD!!!!

I own the 22' iZ3D monitor and will keep my thoughts simple.

The set-up was easy and I was playing games in S-3D in about 10 minutes. I did read up on all the reviews about the monitor to include it's set-up procedures, use of their drivers, that would simplify the process.

In some games the S-3D is awesome, while other games not as immersive. But, that applies to all applications/monitors/set-ups. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Is there ghosting? Yes. However, I utilized shutter glasses with other applications (e-dim, Terminator, VR-Joy types with crt monitors) long before and was able to limit the ghosting. In many of the games I have played using the iz3D monitor I have noticed that after a while the ghosting tends to not even be noticed because I get so involved in the overall S-3D aspects within the game.

I have never had any headaches or eye-strain during my game playing.

Bottom line, at least for me, I truly enjoy the S-3D the iZ3D monitor provides to my gaming experience. The games are much more immersive and even older games are brought back to new life and get a charge out of playing them again in a totally new perspective.

Also, I might add that the iz3D dev. team are constantly working on new drivers and they are always available for any questions and/or problems that you might have in your purchase or set-up, as well as the great community here at MTBS and their support.

I have no regrets in my purchase.

However, the decision, is yours to make. Whatever you decide -- enjoy S-3D!!!! It does add a whole new world.

BTW, you ask about the glasses with the iz3D monitor. They work great. But iZ3d are also working on new models to even provide better enhancements.

All the Best,
ddorpm
da_giz
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Thinking of pulling the trigger!!

Post by da_giz »

VRgamesterz wrote:I've read about new glasses coming out! Are the ones that come with the monitor no good? Should I buy another pair, if so which ones would you refer. I don't wear glasses so im not sure the clip on are something to buy as I read those worked good for some.
The monitor comes with 3 pairs of glasses, 2 normal ones (look like sunglasses) and 1 pair of clip ons, you don't need to decide which to buy, they are included.
Ones the updated glasses come out you can order them if you think it's necessarry.
VRgamesterz wrote:If you could, just say yeah it's worth the investment or just hold on. I like to just plug and play, I do though have to tinker around get things to work but I really don't want to go and read many post about this and that and how to work around things. If most find this to be more work then play then I'll wait.
Yeah, it's worth the investment! :)
I really love this monitor and I hardly play in 2D since I own it (over 1 year now), once set up it's pretty much plug & play, no hassles for me so far. Could be that you encounter problems with specific games but normally they are taken care of pretty fast by the iZ3D-team.
I don't have eye-strain as you encounter it with shutterglasses and the 3D effect is pretty awesome.
You can change the settings easily to your likings while playing the game, that's a plus.
The ghosting for me is the biggest issue so far, although the longer you play in 3D the lesser you notice it. Playing company of Heroes for example I don't notice any ghosting at all anymore. Counterstrike:Source is pretty much the same, I hardly see any ghosting.

I didn't regret to buy the monitor and I paid the initial prize plus tax in germany, alltogether over 1200$.
So for 599$ that's a real deal! ;)

I hope you will have a lot of fun with it!

IZ3D 22", Geforce 280 GTX / Intel e8400 / 4GB RAM
Logitech: G7, K15, Extreme 3D Pro
Win Vista 64bit
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

Actually it's $570 for MTBS3D members, there's a 5% discount.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

I'm kinda in the same boat VR. I've been toying with the idea of buying an IZ3D monitor for about a month. I really want one, but am kinda scared to pull the trigger because of the ghosting stories. $600 is still alot of money for a 22" LCD nowadays. I'm afraid I'll be wasting money on something I won't use, if the ghosting is a problem. I very rarely use 3D for games on my 61" Samsung because its hard to read text from my couch and because of eyestrain. The no eyestrain claims sound very promising, especially since I can sit at my computer for hours at a time. I really wish I could see one in action before I make a decision, but I'm nowhere near a demo center.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

This has been investigated and resolved, and I'm not going to name names, but we have had members with personal vendettas against iZ3D and MTBS who purposely put things down to cause harm. This is life and to be expected in a public forum. :(

I recommend basing your judgments on people who actually own the different S-3D solutions rather than walk-by experiences.

Regards,
Neil
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Im glad to get some input!! See I also bought a triplehead last year with 3 projectors and really didnt have the room to fully use them. To bad they were lcd too cause 3d didn't work when tried, so as of now I've sold some projectors and im in between getting 3 monitors for surround for the same price as the iz3d, but I do love the 3d experience. It is another form of playing and I think it will never get old. Like I said before, I don't mind the ghosting to much as long as the 3d looks good well better then my red/blue and ed shutters. Neil that stuff about poeple putting stuff down doesnt bother me, im used to it from stereo3d. I read people who I trust and that I've seen post before anyways to make my decisions. Either way something is being bought for $600 lol, it would of been the tdvisor but who knows when that will be.

tnx everyone who replyed..

Ku
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

yuriythebest1 wrote:hi! well first off check out this graph I made where I compare it to shutterglasses+19' CRT

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2012

I have not used an HMD but have both the iz3d and shutterglasses and boy is it better than shutterglasses- no flicker, no eyestrain at all- you can play for like forever! You will get more ghosting ,which will be less noticeable if you use high separation and tilt the monitor backwards and also after your brain gets used to it it will help tune it out (I know sounds confusing but bottom line I hardly notice the ghosting anymore these days). The fact that it's widecreen totally adds to the immersion. Also you can see the text without any problems unlike shutterglasses. Should you wait for the new glasses? Could take a while since they are only about to begin initial testing so could be months if not more before the final product is released, and since they will probably cost as much as the old ones (10$) you can 'update' anytime rather than waiting months in agony and uncertainty. Hope that was of some help, cheers!
'Better than shutterglasses'... ahem! Flicker, with shutters, at 120hz? Eyestrain, at 120hz? Practical ghostless image compared to passive glasses... come on Yuiry. I've used both, shutters are superior! Text problems, with shutterglasses? None, unless you are running with incorrect settings or in interlaced mode.
For someone who has a youtube show on stereo3d this is surprising advice - I know you enthusiastic about the iz3d but shutter technology is simply far superior, which is why it is used by the likes of NASA and government agencies / VR companies around the world. The eDimensionals for example with a decent projector or CRT yield far superior results to the iz3d. Even at 85hz on a projector you can play for the whole night without any discomfort.

VRgamesterz, I have to disagree with Yuriy's chart. Simultaneous people viewing for example - you can have as many as you like with shutters and additional sets of eDim wireless are only $50. Eyestrain is zero. Shutters are now supported by iz3d in the next release though you will need a little additional hardware.

The iz3d solution is great (and when the shutter mode is finished I def recommend a license purchase of their driver), but there are better hardware solutions out there.
Last edited by chrisjarram on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

VRgamesterz wrote:Im glad to get some input!! See I also bought a triplehead last year with 3 projectors and really didnt have the room to fully use them. To bad they were lcd too cause 3d didn't work when tried, so as of now I've sold some projectors and im in between getting 3 monitors for surround for the same price as the iz3d, but I do love the 3d experience. It is another form of playing and I think it will never get old. Like I said before, I don't mind the ghosting to much as long as the 3d looks good well better then my red/blue and ed shutters. Neil that stuff about poeple putting stuff down doesnt bother me, im used to it from stereo3d. I read people who I trust and that I've seen post before anyways to make my decisions. Either way something is being bought for $600 lol, it would of been the tdvisor but who knows when that will be.

tnx everyone who replyed..

Ku
I have 3 projectors with TH2G digital and CrystalEyes 3. I built a folding 3m wrap-around screen to reduce the space and throw requirements and it is awesome :) I intend to have the finishing touches done shortly and will be posting the results here.
In my opinion if you dont have the room or the budget to do this, the absolute BEST solution you can get at the moment is 3 x 22" or similar flat CRTS with TH2G analog, eDimensional shutters, iz3d marked stereo drivers and Stereographics enabler, GTX 260 or 280. 3 x iz3d's is a good solution also (and you wont need quite as powerful a graphics card / processor to keep up with the monitor refresh) but then you are stuck with inferior passive glasses and horrible ghosting in your peripheral vision.

Anyone intending on using projectors a word of advice, use TH2G digital (not analog) as projectors don't work well with the analog version (incorrect scaling etc).
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.

Return to “iZ3D Legacy Drivers”