3d on Samsung DLP 3D Plasma

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arlum »

I'm purchasing a DLP this weekend, so i'm going to go ahead and order the http://www.i-glassesstore.com/dlp3d-wireless-1set.html

Seems very simple product to setup, hopefully i'll get a good result. IZ3D doesn't fit my tastes...not enough room and constant adjusting the convergene.

I'll let you know how it looks Flexy..although I have never tried shutterglasses or a projector so I won't be able to compare well. I've seen 3d movies and iz3d though, oh and Magic Carpet! 8)

ill keep ya posted

edit: btw....all i need is just the glass/transmitter combo and the $5 game driver to get a game to run correctly right? looks like the software is just for movies and conversion and other things.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

flexy wrote:i found this test-picture

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/i-glasse ... -IMAGE.bmp
and it displays fine.

maybe it is really only a matter of the right brightness/contrast settings.

I dont think that either resolution OR flicker is an issue....in fact...there IS no flicker.
Why not just try a game or some stereo video and see if it works?
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

well i only have one 3D DVD for now (more coming)....and i tested WoW. But as said, i noticed the ghosting and was wondering how it is for others. Main reason is to determine whether my ED glasses are sufficient and whether the IOD glasses would give better results.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

flexy wrote:Hello,

i have a quick question for all who already own any "3d ready" DLP or Plasma using the Tridef drivers.

In the Tridef "Display Setup" Utility, there is this test-picture where you see circles on one eye and sqraes on the other eye.

Testing with my ED glasses (NOT the IOD glasses) i see definitly ok, one eye circles, the other eye squares.

But the circles/squares are not *all black* per eye...on each eye i also see the darker overlapping part, eg. if a circle overlaps a square i see this overlapping part as real black...and the rest of the object is more gray. So...left eye is supposed to see only squares....but i can also see parts of circles *IF they overlap into a square*. (or vice versa)

In the pic above it looks a bit extreme, i shot this thru the LCD shutter actually - you can see what i mean! You can see the slight ghosting too. But then i took this with a cheap cam right thru the glasses...

My question now is if this is normal and whether other people with those sets see the same, or whether they only see plain black squares one ONE eye and black circles on the other, and whether they see the overlapping parts as darker also.

This might help me to determine whether my glasses actually work ok.

G.[/url]
i think it may have a lot to do with the quality of the glasses as I don't recall seeing this during the setup of my dlp. i will check next week when i am back in town...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

LukePC1 wrote:
If you run a DLP on 1080p with 3D, it HAS a better resolution than 1024x768. It is matematically
1920/2 = 960x1080 - which is slightly more than 1024x768. It can do 120hz in that mode as well and it should not ghost unlike the Plasmas. They are just like a DLP projector built into a box I think. That makes them so big (and heavy)...

the new glasses might be helpfull... especially, if you want multiple people to experience the 3D effect ;-)
If it does the checkerboard pattern, then you lose both horizontal and vertical pixels so it would be 960/540.

The frame rates would be horrible too.
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

flexy wrote:Luke,

I have another question to you, chris:

If i turn on 3D, depending on the brightness setting of the set...i see that "colorful" snow which consists of a random grain of red/blue/green noise across the screen. I noticed it disappears if i go with brightness below 50. It is *almost* not visible with the shutters on, i still dont know whether its supposed to be like that...or if its brightness settings...or what to think about it. Do you get this also? Otherwise i dont have an explanation why the 3d setting would introduce that colored "snow".

G.
I get that also. I think it has to do with how plasma's generate variations in colors as well as some color effects you get with the alternate pixels flashing on and off for the left and right eyes. It doesn't show up with the glasses on playing games.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

chrisdfw wrote:
LukePC1 wrote:
If you run a DLP on 1080p with 3D, it HAS a better resolution than 1024x768. It is matematically
1920/2 = 960x1080 - which is slightly more than 1024x768. It can do 120hz in that mode as well and it should not ghost unlike the Plasmas. They are just like a DLP projector built into a box I think. That makes them so big (and heavy)...

the new glasses might be helpfull... especially, if you want multiple people to experience the 3D effect ;-)
If it does the checkerboard pattern, then you lose both horizontal and vertical pixels so it would be 960/540.

The frame rates would be horrible too.
actually you need 'only' 2 pictures, so you need 'only' 2 pixels in Checkerboard to 'project' 1 pixel for each eye - so the resolution is only halfed. Because of the special arrangement of the pixels that is better for the eyes than interlaced. The 'lost' information are spread more widely all over the picture and not every second line.

@ system and 1080p: I think the best rig to output this would be a Core2Duo with7900GTX OC with Nvidia driver 'hacked'.
I'm not shure, wheter the gf7 can do such a resolution, but it might work fast for some games from last year... You could try Flatout2. It's nice with all the stuff flying around you in 3D.

I heard the DDD drivers are a little slow, so you might be faster with a GF7 actually :?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

yes, you "lose" half width/height per eye...but its getting combined again. It's really not that big a deal.
What counts is that i still can game at 1360x760 which is a very reasonable resolution - and from looking at the image, even on a 50" i cant see any disadvantage in the fact that each checkboard is only half of this resolution!
Without ever having seen one, i can tell you for sure that the resulting picture/quality is WAY better than eg. having one of those HMDs which only makes 800x600 like the Z800. I think a DLP or Plasma, even "only" at 1360x768 would be a way better deal than a such a HMD with 800x600 and very little FOV which costs almost the same.

Another factor which i didnt even mention yet....is how the drivers/game implement their 3D...i also note eg. playing WoW that its not perfect all the time, this is also a driver issue.

Btw..if someone hs links/pointers to software, 2D->3D conversation kits, 3D players etc...appreciate it. Just bought the "stereo player" which is pretty "ok"...but maybe there is better stuff out?

G.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Here's a free 2D->3D converter : http://dragon.bestavia.com/indexold.html?progs.htm
I think it's from Dragon.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

flexy wrote:for sure that the resulting picture/quality is WAY better than eg. having one of those HMDs
But still you can't look around 360º to explorer your surroundings. That's what faced my attention into them since my childhood, even more than the stereo-3D thing and made me bought one despite de cons.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a huge screen like yours to play games. In fact, since I got the shutterglasses, I'm using them instead of the HMD to play FPS for the comfort and the higher resolution.
So, I don't like the weight, low resolution and little FOV, it's just that it's the best I can have that allows me to look around. The idea of being IN a synthetic world has fascinated me all my life.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

yes crim,

but unless you get a $64.000 "military grade" HMD you will be stuck with consumer-grade HMDs having a very, very small FOV.
That was actually the main reason i chose the 50" TV. If i set this on my desk...my view is filled, i doubt that a HMD in that range can do that.

If those HMDs would be like the ones people know from the movies...well..another story :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

flexy wrote:If those HMDs would be like the ones people know from the movies...well..another story :)
Yeah, I totally agree. If they could bring out like a ultra-hd full 360 degree FOV HMD, it would beat everything else. I'm still waiting.

Anyway, I checked the prices on the Samsung, they are really affordable now. I had no idea. In fact, that 50" is less than I paid for my 32" LCD only a few years back. FOR A 50" 3D-READY SET!!!!! Unbelievable, I can't even imagine how much bigger the sizes can go? Like it can barely fit through a door as it is! I was looking at the 61" version. Insane prices, even for just a 2D screen. Please do some more tests and let us know how it is. Who needs a iz3d/Zalman when you can have 50 plus inches! I don't think I realized how big of a deal this was (I was thinking the sets were like $3,000-4,000). Great times.

Flexy, what kind of stereo formats can you run with that setup? I'll see if I can find anything on my computer you can use to test.

Also, could you tell me how the set works for 2d content (like reading text). Is it suitable as a monitor or just strictly for games/movies?
Last edited by cybereality on Thu May 22, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arlum »

yeh dude even the 61" is great... around $1600, but then when you skip up to 67" it skips up to like $2500 heh.

Yeh i was surprised and thrilled to find out it has 3D support, i have my glasses 2day air coming in tommorow and getting a set tommorow too i think. I'll let you know how it works out, only experience w/ 3d drivers and such has been w/ gettin the IZ3d to work, so hopefully the DLP won't be hard to setup and tweak.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

>>>
Yeah, I totally agree. If they could bring out like a ultra-hd full 360 degree FOV HMD, it would beat everything else. I'm still waiting.

Anyway, I checked the prices on the Samsung, they are really affordable now. I had no idea. In fact, that 50" is less than I paid for my 32" LCD only a few years back. FOR A 50" 3D-READY SET!!!!! Unbelievable, I can't even imagine how much bigger the sizes can go? Like it can barely fit through a door as it is! I was looking at the 61" version. Insane prices, even for just a 2D screen. Please do some more tests and let us know how it is. Who needs a is3d/Zalman when you can have 50 plus inches! I don't think I realized how big of a deal this was (I was thinking the sets were like $3,000-4,000). Great times.

Flexy, what kind of stereo formats can you run with that setup? I'll see if I can find anything on my computer you can use to test.

Also, could you tell me how the set works for 2d content (like reading text). Is it suitable as a monitor or just strictly for games/movies?
>>>

Cyber,

you have another advantage: Those sets in the states are "only" $1200 compared to EU1299 which i paid...but i think that the 1299 were still incredible "cheap" for what you get in return.

The TV has settings which allow switching between checkerboard (3D DLP standard) and vertical and horizontal interleave. But i was not able to test the interleave settings yet..i also cant say whether those would be better than the checkerboard.

Stereo seems to work only if you feed the set the native PC resultion, in my cas 1360x768 OR 1024x768 (never tried 1024)...if you chose another resolution or feed content from a source with diff resolution you cant turn on stereo.

TV as a "monitor" is OUTSTANDING...i agree with several reviews there. I was expecting much less, but this thing in front of you as a monitor at 1360x768...everthing is CLEAR and readable...its incredible! Not to mention gaming. (This is DVI --> HDMI)
Same for XBOX 360 of course.

The only problem with those plasmas is their sensitivity to "burn-in"...or "image retention"...so i would be careful with usinng this with static images for hours and hours....or at least only after 100-200hrs "break in period". But the TV has many options to avoid image retention or burn in, like automatic pixel shifting and similar. But this is something we plasma owners have to live with. So..using at a monitor i would make sure you use screen-savers and whatever methods and not have your static desktop on this thing 18hrs a day.

The other option would be going with the Samsung DLP sets where i also only hear good things, they wouldnt have the image-retention problem. Thats the DLP based sets which came out a few months before the plasmas.

I totally agree, $1200 for this gives you an oustanding HDTV with incredible picture quality, a giant monitor for 2D gaming as well as built-in 3D...and seeing that eg. a little HMD like the Z800 already is in the same price range it was a no-brainer to get this instead.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

Arlum wrote:yeh dude even the 61" is great... around $1600, but then when you skip up to 67" it skips up to like $2500 heh.

Yeh i was surprised and thrilled to find out it has 3D support, i have my glasses 2day air coming in tommorow and getting a set tommorow too i think. I'll let you know how it works out, only experience w/ 3d drivers and such has been w/ gettin the IZ3d to work, so hopefully the DLP won't be hard to setup and tweak.
Nope, not at all. All you do is plug in the emitter in the back....connect your PC, have the (tridef) drivers installed and fire off the games from your PC connected via DVI ---> HDMI (Dont know if VGA would work also).

Checkerboard "wobulation" like those sets use seems to be simple to implement, thats why "stereo player" and similar utilities already support this format. So...in other words you can get one of those (very, very few) existing 3D DVDs, use stereo player, set to "samsung DLP"....and watch this in 3D on the big screen like in IMAX :)
Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arlum »

great, im excited

i had to do some digging... it this what you are talking about flexy?
http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx

this is great haha, gonna digg up some 3d movies/samples to try out
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

yep, that's the player. The tridef driver-set you need also has a player, so..both cost money since the "stereo player" otherwise is limited, i think it only plays 5mins unless you register. The tridef player in trial shows this split-screen....the tridef player also converts 2D DVDs (!) in real time into pseudo 3D. But Peter's stereo player seems to be more flexible...havent tried a lot with the tridef player yet, i still run the trial too.

which reminds me...i am just downloading a set of 1000s of stereo pictures...i can try those one the TV once i am done downloading :)
(My IMAX movies from ebay are still in the mail...)
Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arlum »

which reminds me...i asked earlier..

i dont need the tridef software do i...

i just ordered the glasses/transmitter only, and plan to go download the $5 WoW game driver. I assumed thats all i'd need and that the tridef software was just extra crap such as the 2d>3d converter, 3d dvd player, and photo crap.

hopefully i only need the standalone game driver....or my holiday weekend will be void of 3d gaming!

edit:
just saw this

http://www.tridef.com/download/TriDef-3 ... e-3.2.html

it looks like i could download the trial then activate it...not sure if they sell the activation code online though...
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

Arlum,

you need the tridef stuff (bunch of utilities, control panel etc.) installed for the licenses being checked if you want any of their games drivers. Its not a big deal, nothing is running in the background.

But yes, for the other (non tridef) stereo player you wouldnt need the tridef stuff.

Arlum, yes. Since i bought the WoW license online per paypal. You get a code and then enter the code and its activated.
Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arlum »

sorry im still getting mixed up

so i have to purchase http://www.ddd.com/cart/product.php?pro ... t=2&page=1 right? and they email you the activation code which you plug into http://www.tridef.com/download/TriDef-3 ... e-3.2.html , correct? There's no shipping section when you go to checkout w/ that product so i assume its emailed.

and then the separate wow driver of course.

sorry to hassle you tryin to get this all straight, im great with computers but damn... they dont explain it well at the site

:(
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

what i did:

I downloaded the free package there from the tridef/ddd site and installed it.

Then i bought the driver-license for WoW online and entered the code. I didnt buy anythine else since i have glasses already from edimensional, and for the media player i dont care. So..the whole thing so far cost me $4.99 for the WoW drivers.

Btw. i am just back from watching hundreds of 3d pictures on the TV which i downloaded from some site. I used "StereoPhoto Maker" 3.23 which also supports the DLP method now.

I could try the "checkerboard" setting on the TV, as well as horizontal interleaved and vertical interleaved.

Checkerboard (the standard setting) has definitly the best overall picture quality.

From the 100s and 100s of photos...i noticed slight ghosting only on a very few...the majority displayed very well.

Made it also very clear that some photos just didnt get "it" right and just merely are good for introducing headaches, while a select few were oustanding.

I am always fascinated by those "out of the screen" effects, but from the 100s of photos only a couple or so had this going on.

Now..we just need movies and games in the same quality as some of those photos.....this is definitly proof that the methods works, but made it so clear how it can depend on the source and probably also the skill/knowledge of the photographer/movie director.
Last edited by flexy on Thu May 22, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Wow, I am going to read up on your experience right now!

My TV quit working and I want a bigger PC monitor, when I can afford one I will for sure look at this!

Good news for this type of solution:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=9511#9511
BlackQ wrote:for Quake III Arena: go to console and type r_stereo 1 or r stereo 1 - I'm not sure 100% - may be Dragon will help - but sorry we found one more small bug in OpenGL - correcting now

activation: activation center is done - will open next week. sorry we did not inform you about progress here

shutter glasses and chessboard support is partially ready - after final 1.08 release we'll concentrate on them to integrate them in

so, sorry again for OpenGL - we have some corporate pressure and need correct it finally for corporate apps.
Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arlum »

thanks flex that's what i was asking :D sounds great! if it works great ill snag bioshock for fun haha. Tommorow will be a good day
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

flexy wrote:the nephilim....hmm..i havent tried 2d->3d conversion yet...i got the "stereo player" by peter wimmer which should play everything, i might give thsi a try even if i dont expect it to be too great since its only "pseudo stereo"
yeah today i tried the "2D-->3D" conversion watching a few parts off matrix revolutions in "pseudo 3d". Its nonsense like this which is the reason that 3D is a niche thing and has problems going to mainstream. (As expected the pseudo 3D using the tridef media player is total nonsense...maybe it gets a halfway "ok" effect in this or that scene...but in general its just a random "illusion" of somethign being 3D with more downsides than positives...you get as well watch a movie thru a fish-bowl and get the same illusion it's "in 3d" :)

In addition, the tridef player (unlike stereoplayer) doesnt play REAL 3D movies at all....it just doesnt display the 3D right, and yes i switched it to read the material as 3Di (interlaced)..it just doesnt work, also after a lot of tweakign ans trying. WASTE of money for "tridef media player" so far.
Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arlum »

wow thats horrible, but its what i assumed anyway

but wow i figure it woudl at least play the 3d dvd's correctly...............pitiful...

they didnt ship my my glasses friday...even though i paid for 2day air. They just shipped the xmitter only. But iodisplay was nice and didnt question it and shipped out my glasses via 2day. Ill be getting it tommorow and i'll let you know the appropriate glasses do in WoW.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

you got a plasma?

Well..as in regards to 3D DVDs...just use "stereoplayer"....also, tridef told me they dont actively suppprt Vista 64, so this might be another problem.

The problem is that the tridef media player needs an existing DVD decoder (either a free, opensource one) or WinDVD or PowerDVD installed...but i have the latest versions of those, it just doesnt decode right. Might be that it works under XP, and might be it works with older versions of WinDVD. But as said the pseudo 2D thingy was less than impressive...
Arlum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arlum »

nah a big 56" DLP
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

flexy, it's the same with stereoscopic player. You need a DVD decoder.

Look here : http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/DVDPlayback_en.aspx
It shows what settings you need to use for the decoders you use. On some decoders, you need to force deinterlacing off or the DVD decoder will combine the two pictures while decoding, resulting in two pictures that are the same and no S3D.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

yes,

you are right. But SP works fine with the one under Vista, and also with the one recommened OpenSource one. tridef player doesnt.

And Tril, interestingly SP claims that WinDVD decoder doesnt work since you cannot turn off de-interlacing..while tridef says they support WinDVD player ;) But here on my machine i see it doesnt work.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Maybe WinDVD does not work in interlaced mode and only in Side-by-side or over-under formats?
Try some of the testvideos in that format (e.g. blackshark's trackmania video)
Maybe it works, but it's only a guess :wink:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Aztec
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aztec »

Anybody got drivers other than TriDef drivers?

I produce 3D animations and sometimes 3D interactive content using vrml. Some of them are required to be seen in stereo. I purchased a samsung plasma to test my animations and vrmls while working on them but I was disappointed to see TriDef has no support for Cortona vrml viewer or any other 3d viewing application anymore (In the past they used to and you had to pay 100s of dollars to have it). How could they do this to us when we are the only ones really interested in purchasing a 3D ready TV? They will learn the lesson when they get all their 3D ready TVs returned because kids couldnt see any 3D effect with their PlayStation or Xbox consoles.
I downloaded a patch for old nvdia stereo drivers from here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=828 and it worked very well with my samsung plasma set from checkerboard to vertical. Problem is it only works with nvidias series 7 and older. So I had to use another computer with such card. Vrmls look beautiful by the way and many old pc games will surely work as well with this patch.
If anybody hears of a 3D activator for DLPs or PDPs please tell us and put it in download area.
The universal iglasses or edimensional activators worked with my plasma set in LCD mode (or CRT, I dont remember) using their VGA adapter but it flickers too much. I think all they have to do is to add the DLP/PDP mode to the LCD and CRT modes they already have. If somebody gets upgraded software with this feature for eDimensional glasses or something similar please tell us as well.
And if there is a programmer out there let him know Im willing to pay as much as 300 us dollars for a 3D activator for PDPs to work with a samsung 3D plasma and an nvidia 8800 card, yeah :D .
For the ones with issues with TriDef media player I think its an excellent viewer for non interactive 3D content and in plays it almost all. However, you have to specify the method to use in each case. For instance, I have to name my movies something like moviename-lr.avi to tell the program its a left right 3D movie. In the case of DVDs you have to tell the application if its a normal 2D dvd, an interlaced 3D dvd or any other DVD by pressing a key that shifts from those different modes, all those specifications are written in their online hidden manuals. At www.3dtv.at you can find a another 3d player that supports DLP/PDP 3D ready displays and doesnt needs TriDef drivers, you can also download some landscapes 3D videos that look beautiful in samsung 3D TVs.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

You're saying you connected via VGA to the plasma and you got pageflip working usign the ED drivers?? Or you used the LCD mode on the Plasma?? I never even considered trying this!!

I tested the ED software once here on my LCD (monitor)..and the result was very "meh"....but very interesting what you say...i wonder whether if this gets rid of the ghosting? I will try this in a few minutes myself.

I am in through HDMI....i never tried VGA. The ED glasses worked "out of the box".

And yes, it sucks that thre is no OpenGL support - the funny thing is that the new Nvidia Vista drivers certainly have an option "hidden" for DLPs/Checkerboard....its just disabled. Its bizarre and disappointing they only support anaglyph with the new Vista drivers, and its known we need old cards and old drivers under XP, and then it works with a little hack on DLPs/Plasma also

Well..its amazing you'd offer $300 for DLP support...i might join in. I think its a shame that (for marketing reasons???) Nvidia disabled the universal support for shutters/DLPs. One reason is that NV might come out with eyeglasses of their own soon...and then hopefully *re-add* the support again in their drivers. As of right now we're dependand on either XP, 7-series cards and "hacks" and tridef drivers.

I also spent some time already "analyzing" the latest NV vista drivers....so i know the support is in there...but activating is another story, it would require understand the whole code, especially registry keys..not that easy.

You might also want to keep an eye on IZ3D...they're also working on more universal drivers and a programmer said that DLP mode is planned for the next release of the drivers - its actually working already but still in alpha/beta stage.
Last edited by flexy on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

aztec,

i am back from testing connecting the VGA on my plasma using the ED drivers.

Certaintly, the BEST and fastest way to introduce a full blown migraine within 30 mins.

The problem is not the fact that it might "flicker"...it might be able to live with that.

The problem is rather that literally NONE of my D3D/OpenGl applications work with those rotten, piece of junk ED drivers.

OpenGL (i have a very nice flightsim in OpenGLcalled x-plane) crashes immediately.
World of Warcraft.....the screen is extremely distorted.
All other games dont work at all or crash.

Even if using ED drivers and VGA dongle would basically circumvent the whole "built-in" 3D support i thought it might be a nice idea to try out, according to what you said. But unless you have an outdated OS and use outdated games using an outdated DX api on outdated graphics hardware......forget it. Drivers are just too bad.
StereoGaming4Me
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by StereoGaming4Me »

hi all.

I'm new to signing up but I've looked at threads here before. I've had the old elsa shutterglasses w/crt combo and now stick with the z800 for pc gaming and just bought one of those samsung 3d dlp hdtv's. I've followed several guides and have fussed with many of the settings for resolution but for some reason, stereoscopic player refuses to play anything in 3D unless it is anaglyph. The shutterglasses worked fine on the bottom half of the tri-def thing, using an old elsa IR emitter as well as elsa glasses. The tv I have is the Samsung HL5087S and when you use the 3D button on the remote, engaging the 3D feature creates a dark red background/hue for anything not being output in 3D. I've tried matching the resolutions for the driver(Nvidia forceware 93.71 + stereo 93.71), and tried every single 3D display that might apply to my setup such as verticle interleave(seereal), DDC VGA (ioglasses), and direct 3 pin din(tried through an old elsa card dongle and it triggered glasses but no great 3D yet on the tv.) Should my glasses be set to L/R or R then L, top over bottom, bottom over top.. I have been looking around and haven't seen anything specific yet that has worked.

If anyone else has a Samsung 3D tv, and has managed to get 3D successfully set up please let me know. Also if anyone out there has tried the Vuzix AV920 for stereo console gaming via rca input please let me know. I'm not sure I want to drop $849 on a pair of Video Pro 3D i-glasses, even though I already have the virtual fx converter if the AV920 requires it(don't think it does.)

Thanks all who can offer advice!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

StereoGaming4Me wrote:If anyone else has a Samsung 3D tv, and has managed to get 3D successfully set up please let me know. Also if anyone out there has tried the Vuzix AV920 for stereo console gaming via rca input please let me know. I'm not sure I want to drop $849 on a pair of Video Pro 3D i-glasses, even though I already have the virtual fx converter if the AV920 requires it(don't think it does.)

Thanks all who can offer advice!
The AV920 does *not* support stereo on the consoles. I don't know where you heard that. The VR920 model supports stereo 3d gaming on the PC only. All other Vuzix products are for video only. The i-glasses aren't really worth the money at this point, I believe the Z800 you have already is a better device, and the VR920 has a better FOV and more supported games for less than half the price. Although you already have one of the best S-3D solutions available, the Samsung 3d-ready set, I don't see why you'd want a headset. Have you tried the TriDef (DDD) drivers for games yet? I think those are the ones designed for your screen.
Last edited by cybereality on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

sg4me,

hm...i never have those issues. Its really very straightforward to set up.

Make sure you connect the PC through HDMI, and it must be set to the right resolution and refresh. I think its either 1024x768/60, 1360x768/60 or 1920x1080/hz...look in the manual.

if its not connected on HDMI and not at the right reso you cant turn on 3D.

The glasses/the emitter you just plug in the back of the TV in the 3 pin 3d port.

Stereoplayer should defintly output in a variety of formats, it does here too. Just select the Samsung/DLP mode.

Maybe its your setup on the PC...just set up monitor/TV sharing the same display...later you can set to dual-mode.

let me know how it goes.

Add: it might also be a driver issue. You have the tridef drivers installed?? What happens if you use the utilities to test/setup the display?
Anyway...stereoplayer shouldnt need those drivers...at elast not for real 3d content, it should output in 3d no matter what.

Add2: Sure you set everything right in SP??? Eg. preferred viewing method???

Everything shown with this pinkish hue tells me it shows in "true anaglyph"...just go into the menu and set the preferred stereo viewing method.
Last edited by flexy on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aztec
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aztec »

Gone are the days when one could see anything in 3D stereo using the old ELSA 3D revelator glasses. From all games to Direct 3D or OpenGL applications even in windowed mode. Problem is game developers use different techniques or their own software to create 3D games nowdays. Which makes an universal 3D stereo driver useless, games will either crash, look too bad or without any 3D effect at all.
Thats why a specific 3D stereo driver is required for each game. However, universal drivers still work well for some simple 3D applications I'm interested in.

I just tested the VGA adapter with the edimensional glasses to watch a vrml scene while the TriDef glasses were delivered. I could see the stereo effect but yeah it flickered awfully I even didn't bothered trying some games which used to crash with the LCD anyway. That was with an 8800 card.

Using the old nvidia 91.31 driver and its corresponding 3D stereo driver patched with 3D_DLP patch worked very well for me, at least for vrmls. But in this case I didn't use the old VGA edimensional adapter but the new TriDef set samsung suggests to use. I bet all games and applications that worked with those drivers will work with this patch as well and could be seen on samsungs Plasmas using the TriDef glasses. That was with a 7300 card, TriDef glasses but no TriDef software installed but patched nvidia drivers instead.
Some modern 3D viewing applications might work too with the upgraded DirectX drivers. Modern games will require an specific driver anyway.

I tested some tweaked nvidias drivers and their corresponding 3D stereo drivers downloaded from http://www.guru3d.com/ on my nvidia 8800 gtx but they crashed. There are still some others left to try.

And for ghosting, well, that's something hard to get rid off, it happens when an image leaks to the eye that shouldn't see it. Ghosting is always there but is more noticeable with bright objects moving on dark backgrounds. I think its related to glasses synchronization and glasses/screen polarization. Glasses must be the best quality and must have a very good synchronization to avoid ghosting. But ghosting is even seen on IMAX 3D movies and digital 3D movies so we better get used to it.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

>>>
Which makes an universal 3D stereo driver useless, games will either crash, look too bad or without any 3D effect at all.
>>>

i tend to not agree :)

From a certain point of view it should be "relatively" easy to implement, since in OpenGL and D3D apps/games there is already ANY stereo information contained. It would just be a matter of implementing the output in the drivers.

NV could "easily" re-add general stereo support in THEIR drivers again...i mean it works for ANAGLYPH and here basically for ALL D3D games. OpenGL is another story, it would require a Quadro card...but also OpenGL natively supports stereo output already, so does the NVidia implemetation of their drivers!

Tweaking the 3D then would be a matter of a "per game" basis...some would look better, some worse. But the whole isee is certainly not new, see your old ELSA glasses....so i wonder why the development here lacks so much.

I want DLP/shutters support with the same compatibilty usign Vista Nvidia drivers which already do anaglypgh nicely...and i think the NV drivers are the right place..and not some JUNK drivers like ED drivers which are only good for headaches and crashes.

Or tridef drivers which only work on a per game basis and only support a hand-full of games, make you depend on their bugs and how slow their drivers are.
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Unfortunately I am not going to be home for a week to try something on my Samsung Plasma so I was wondering if someone else could.

What happens if you hook up to it using the VGA connection using a 7900 series card and older working Nvidia drivers and have the refresh rate set to 120hz?

I am hoping that if the Plasma really is 120hz that it will let you synch to it at 120hz over vga and do the 3d-stereo test screen as well as games. I personally don't like the checkerboard pattern and would love to get it doing full screen page flipping at 120hz.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can test this.
StereoGaming4Me
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by StereoGaming4Me »

flexy wrote:sg4me,

hm...i never have those issues. Its really very straightforward to set up.

Make sure you connect the PC through HDMI, and it must be set to the right resolution and refresh. I think its either 1024x768/60, 1360x768/60 or 1920x1080/hz...look in the manual.

if its not connected on HDMI and not at the right reso you cant turn on 3D.

The glasses/the emitter you just plug in the back of the TV in the 3 pin 3d port.

Stereoplayer should defintly output in a variety of formats, it does here too. Just select the Samsung/DLP mode.

Maybe its your setup on the PC...just set up monitor/TV sharing the same display...later you can set to dual-mode.

let me know how it goes.

Add: it might also be a driver issue. You have the tridef drivers installed?? What happens if you use the utilities to test/setup the display?
Anyway...stereoplayer shouldnt need those drivers...at elast not for real 3d content, it should output in 3d no matter what.

Add2: Sure you set everything right in SP??? Eg. preferred viewing method???

Everything shown with this pinkish hue tells me it shows in "true anaglyph"...just go into the menu and set the preferred stereo viewing method.

Hi, thank you for the reply. I don't think this Samsung has or supports anaglyph 3D, the deep red hue only shows up when 3D is engaged through the remote and the Stereoplayer has a bunch of options for what type of 3D decoding/output. I'm not sure if I need L/R, R/L, verticle interleave, etc. I did try the resolutions you mentioned and the nvidia 7950 gt 512 I'm using works fine on 93.71 with the z800.

For the other guy who responded:

Ok so if the AV920 does not support console 3D gaming, why does it claim to have an adjustable 3D switch for displaying 3D? Is it just for movies.. has anyone actually tried the AV920 with say a ps2 and rca cables?

Thanks!

Return to “3D HDTVs”