When it will be available?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
TigerClaw
One Eyed Hopeful

When it will be available?

Post by TigerClaw »

I would like to now what are the current release dates for the SD version and the HD version. Last time I checked was infact March / 08.
I'm very happy that a new company has taken the HMD market with a new and serious product which have all specification we, VR enthusiast, have waited since forever but I have to say, the current price is way too high even for me that I'm an early adopter in this field.
So, TDVision when do you think you will start mass production of these sweet HMDs?
Last edited by TigerClaw on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

I asked this question when I was there earlier this month (you can read this in my review) and the official time frame now is q4 of this year.
eschur
One Eyed Hopeful

Availability

Post by eschur »

To be clear, pre-production units of the TDVisor-SD are available now through our preorder form www.tdvision.com/preorder. You will receive your unit 4-6 weeks after payment is received.

The Q4 2008 date is accurate for the TDVisor-HD
TigerClaw
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Availability

Post by TigerClaw »

eschur wrote:To be clear, pre-production units of the TDVisor-SD are available now through our preorder form www.tdvision.com/preorder. You will receive your unit 4-6 weeks after payment is received.

The Q4 2008 date is accurate for the TDVisor-HD
Hi eschur,

so the TDVisor HD will be available in quantity in the Q4? What about the SD version? Do you have any official date?

Keep up the good work, first reviews of the unit are impressive.
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

SD is available NOW.

You go to their site and fill out pre-order form.
They contact you with quote.
You pay.
They build it and 4-6 weeks later they send it to you.
TigerClaw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TigerClaw »

stee1hed wrote:SD is available NOW.

You go to their site and fill out pre-order form.
They contact you with quote.
You pay.
They build it and 4-6 weeks later they send it to you.
Is available "now" only as a build to order http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build_to_Order which is very different from Mass production http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_production
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

My understanding is they are currently built to order. Ethan can expound on this. The good thing for me on this is I was able to request some customizations.
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Re: When it will be available?

Post by genetic »

TigerClaw wrote:I would like to now what are the current release dates for the SD version and the HD version. Last time I checked was infact March / 08.
I'm very happy that I new company have taken the HMD market with a new and serious product which have all specification we, VR enthusiast, have waited since forever but I have to say, the current price is way too high even for me that I'm an early adopter in this field.
So, TDVision when do you think you will start mass production of these sweet HMDs?

I find it hard to believe that anyone with experience with HMDs would find even the high end unit expensive. For a professional or HMD geek, it is very reasonable.

But I do agree that it may be way too expensive for the general public.

My question is when will a HD unit be available (pre-order is fine) that has headtracking?

I know that its being worked on but to me it is a deal breaker. Well, as long as my trusty Z800 lives. I know im a fanboy on this but man I love my Z800. TDvisor, you have BIG shoes to fill.

That being said, Im expecting greatness from you:)
eschur
One Eyed Hopeful

Head tracking

Post by eschur »

We are looking to include an advanced device for headtracking that is more accurate than what is currently out there in comparable HMD.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Head tracking

Post by crim3 »

eschur wrote:We are looking to include an advanced device for headtracking that is more accurate than what is currently out there in comparable HMD.
Great! :D
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by wuhlei »

cool

how much is the cam and when will it be out?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
TigerClaw
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: When it will be available?

Post by TigerClaw »

genetic wrote:
I find it hard to believe that anyone with experience with HMDs would find even the high end unit expensive. For a professional or HMD geek, it is very reasonable.

But I do agree that it may be way too expensive for the general public.
Yes, I was talking about consumers and not VR professional. Z800's last "normal" price was 600$ If I remember correctly. I tend to consider 500 USD as the sweet spot for an SD HMD.
genetic wrote: My question is when will a HD unit be available (pre-order is fine) that has headtracking?

I know that its being worked on but to me it is a deal breaker. Well, as long as my trusty Z800 lives. I know im a fanboy on this but man I love my Z800. TDvisor, you have BIG shoes to fill.

That being said, Im expecting greatness from you:)
I had the Z800 as soon as it was delivered to the public and I founded many problems with it, but it was the best available in 2006.

I'm seeing the TDVisor as (finally) the good HMD we were waiting since '90. Reading from specs I can see they are first VR enthusiasts and after that a company which sells HMDs.
Last edited by TigerClaw on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TigerClaw
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Head tracking

Post by TigerClaw »

eschur wrote:We are looking to include an advanced device for headtracking that is more accurate than what is currently out there in comparable HMD.
Perfect.
Z800 headtracking implementation has virtually no drift but you have to recenter it constantly, great that you are working on something more accurate!
wuhlei

Post by wuhlei »

what if Im always moving because of my job could you hold on to it untill I can come up with a solid adress and overnight it?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
CTMiles
One Eyed Hopeful

When??

Post by CTMiles »

ok ok ok. so what i gather from this topic is the SD(800x600) rez is pre-order-able at 1000$ estimated, possibility of customization, then 4-6 weeks it gets shipped. sooo, if i shell out 1.5k now, will i have a TDVisior HD (1280x720) in 6-8 weeks?

oh Q4=HD release
bummer....
Last edited by CTMiles on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

Z800 headtracking should have ZERO drift. It is an absolute tracker, not a relative tracker. You should never need to recenter it. Only gyros have drift. The problem with absolute trackers is not drift but noise.

But that advanced device for headtracking sounds good.

What I would like to see is something like this (GameTrak Fusion):

http://www.in2games.uk.com/corporate/ne ... ?newsid=14

Something that would give 6DOF tracking rather than the conventional 3DOF.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

The problem with the z800 magnetic sensor is that it use to change its opinion about where the magnetic north is for a while, and quite often. And the accuracy can vary from day to day. I still don't know the source of this. I have stated that wireless devices are not strong enough to cause it in normal situtations. So, maybe, is just a limitation of the sensor technology.

I'm glad to see that new tracking solutions are almost here.
JPugh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JPugh »

On the preorder form there is the SD and HD versions.
Does that mean the HD ones are available now?

also is it really important to have headtracking built in? why not just use a separate device like trackIR.
CTMiles
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CTMiles »

as far as i know,(which ain't that far) the HD won't be available till Q4 s

Track IR and their ilk are good when you have a consistent focal area like a monitor or projection screen. that way the camera unit can be set to read the reflective dots. because of the portable nature of most HMDs magnetic or gyro tracking seems to be better cuz of being able to orientate to the earth (magnetic) or to measure force differentials against itself (gyro)
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

The problem with TrackIR is that it does not offer 360 degrees tracking of yaw. It can only do about 90 degrees because it works with a camera.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

JPugh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JPugh »

Thanks for the info :)

Ive not got a 3d solution yet and the TDVisor HD is the first to really get my attention.

ive got a dlp projector so i'm reluctant to go back to a smaller screen like the IZ3d

oh well better wait for Q4... should be awesome
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

when will the camera thingy be available?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

why not get the shutterglasses to make your DLP into a 3D DLP projector? It shouldn't be too expencive.
I tested one once. It could do 85hz - which is ok for S-3D - and had no ghosting. However the glasses have to be reversed compared to a CRT monitor. Many glasses have an option to do it. I had to turn mine upside down :P
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
JPugh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JPugh »

I actually bought a pair of ed-wired glasses and tried that but I couldn't get it to work.
mind you i didn't try turning them upside down or anything like that ;)

I've got a 8800GT and I read somewhere on MTBS that it's incompatible

also Nvidia stereo is no longer compatible with shutterglasses

At the risk of going completely off topic here, does anyone know if you can get an older version of the stereo drivers that IS compatible?
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Try this:
http://mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t ... ght=manual

if you have some patience it might work - at least sometimes.

I thought you might have an older gf card around somewhere to test at first ;-)

edit: you'r chance is very slim, since you use 8800gt and not GTX or GTS... I should read more carefully :-(
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”