Direct output to iZ3D without special driver?

laranzu
One Eyed Hopeful

Direct output to iZ3D without special driver?

Post by laranzu »

How do I do direct stereo output to an iZ3D display without needing a special driver installed?

There are two monitor inputs on the iZ3D, is it as simple as left eye image to left input, right eye to right?

I ask because I work in a university computing department where we build stereoscopic VR systems. Using Linux and Macintosh computers. I'd love to buy one or more iZ3Ds, but only if we can write the software ourselves.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

It is two LCD panels on top of each other, with only a front and rear polarization layer.

Edit:
BlackQ has the real info, thanks :)
Last edited by nubie on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, laranzu!

Our monitor needs front and back, instead of left and right. It is simple conversion algorithm I can provide you under NDA. You can contact me through info@iz3d.com with subject "iZ3D conversion algorithm" - it is easy to implement - we have it in DX, OpenGL, C++ and pure math form.
laranzu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by laranzu »

Thanks BlackQ, but the NDA rules iZ3D out for us.

It's not because we're a bunch of Free Software Freaks. We're a university, so we teach students how things work in (excessive) detail, and we open source our code and encourage others to use it.
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, laranzu!

I'm sorry about this - we can help to build software and explain how iZ3D works, but specific formula / algorithm details can not be disclosure at the moment.
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

front/back - left/right...

Post by lnrrgb »

Is there some simple explanation for how these are different? Seems like the nvidia driver, or whatever driver, would work as long as two images, from two perspectives, made it to the front/back displays, in some particular order - consistently. I am having too much fun playing some current games, to start going back to older games I never got to play (thx nvidia). Doesn't the new wallpaper utility take data from left/right perspectives, and get them to the proper front/back LCD? I don't see how the utility would be recalculating perspectives from a static image comprised of left/right data. I ask because iZ3D's driver claims stability with ONLY DX8 & up, and I !!MUST!! go back to some older games, before I move on to the next in the series (I am still waiting to play Blue Shift in 3D damnit!)!:) If the older nvidia drivers (which do handle DX7 games) can output to planar setups, it would seem it could send output to this monitor as well, and I'd get to play older games that nvidia does handle. I just have a bunch of games that I got midway through in stereo, and all were put on pause when I upgraded some equipment, and then nvidia had a drought on stereo driver support for some reason..... so I never returned to the games.

sorry for the subtle ranting

lnr
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

Here's how it works...

It works on a subpixel basis. So the red, green, and blue pixels are calculated individually.

The back layer contains a mixture of the left eye and the right eye for every subpixel.
The front layer says what proportion of that subpixel's brightness goes to the left eye, and the remaining portion goes to the right eye.

So you can (in fact, you must) calculate the two screens based on left and right images, but there is a big calculation step in between.

That calculation is probably best done on the GPU using a pixel shader. I don't remember if Direct3D 7 supports pixel shaders.

The problem is that we don't know exactly what the format of the front layer is. It must encode a polarity in the brightness for each subpixel, but I'm not sure exactly how.

We need someone who actually has an iZ3D monitor, and who understands basic mathematics, to experiment. Then we can produce an open source code for supporting the monitor.

The other problem is that I've never actually written a pixel shader.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

I would love to take something like this on. Unfortunately my honey is due to give birth in less than a month and my time has been stretched thin with it only getting thinner. :( for that and :D for the new addition!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”