questions

sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

questions

Post by sharky »

hi vadim!

here some new quesitons

1) what are your thoughts about 3D cinema?
2) since sensio has much better video quality than normal interlaced dvds, are you going to implement it in your player? if yes when?
3) your player had a slower evolution than the drivers.. is it sort of an "add on" or will it be developed in future?
4) you said that nearly everybody cn implement your code in theyr program. is the same true for peter wimmer's player?
5) does iz3d driver support the new 9-series nvidia cards?

bye

igor
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

I've been considering the $199 price point for a universal stereo driver. I personally use shutterglasses with a CRT monitor and I don't see myself paying for a 3d LCD monitor (at least not right now), much less to buy a driver which costs that much for personal use. I was planning on buying a Geforece 9600GT for that same price, so I don't see myself paying double the amount for 3d gaming. Questions...

6) Why does it have to be that expensive? Why not $50, the price of a game? I bet if you multiply $50 by the amount of S3D users, you'll make a very good profit.

7) Will the page flipping work for NVIDIA or ATi products equally? I mean, are your drivers a proxy dll modifying rendering calls? Or are they tied to a specific hardware?

8 ) (Tied to the question above) I have this idea on enabling stereo 3d on any application using proxy dlls. Is that how your driver works? I just don't have the experience to program a proxy dll and I wanted to know if that is technically possible.

9) You said that if someone buys your monitor, then the drivers come free? You mean if by any chance I buy the 22" monitor for a good price in the future, will I get this $199 driver for free, forever?

I hope that Vadim still reads this boards.
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, guys!

Here some ideas about your questions:

1) what are your thoughts about 3D cinema?

I think this is great and "must be" type of entertainment, but I can see an issue now - it is "3D", but not 100% "cinema" - I mean that 3D can not compensate lack in screen play making - we need both - good story and nice 3D - otherwise it will go to the end very soon.

2) since sensio has much better video quality than normal interlaced dvds, are you going to implement it in your player? if yes when?

:-) no question for me, but for Sensio - ask them - we are ready to cooperate and we can give them our algorithm.

3) your player had a slower evolution than the drivers.. is it sort of an "add on" or will it be developed in future?

Do you have something specific we need to add there? we are trying to follow customers requests - you are first during last three month :-) We also know some other guys doing 3D video and we are cooperating with them

4) you said that nearly everybody cn implement your code in theyr program. is the same true for peter wimmer's player?

We like to work with Peter. Yes, implementation can be done for Stereoscopic Player as well

5) does iz3d driver support the new 9-series nvidia cards?

Yes, we tested already - works fine - and faster :-)

6) Why does it have to be that expensive? Why not $50, the price of a game? I bet if you multiply $50 by the amount of S3D users, you'll make a very good profit.

HMD / Projector version would be 49$. Flipping additionally may be more expensive, but we did not realize it yet. Price is very complex question - this is not only development, but support. We are try to be as cheap as we can to help industry to grow.

7) Will the page flipping work for NVIDIA or ATi products equally? I mean, are your drivers a proxy dll modifying rendering calls? Or are they tied to a specific hardware?

Flipping is just a type of output - it does not impact to rendering process. Thus if driver works with both GPU types then flipping will too as soon as we implement it

8 ) (Tied to the question above) I have this idea on enabling stereo 3d on any application using proxy dlls. Is that how your driver works? I just don't have the experience to program a proxy dll and I wanted to know if that is technically possible.

Depends on your definition of "proxy dll" - our driver inject any DX call and double part of them for stereo rendering.

9) You said that if someone buys your monitor, then the drivers come free? You mean if by any chance I buy the 22" monitor for a good price in the future, will I get this $199 driver for free, forever?

You can get our driver even without our monitor for free from our web site - iZ3D and anaglyph. Next version will have HMD support for 49$. Once you'll buy it - it will be yours forever - no additional charge, no subscription or per game payments.

I hope that Vadim still reads this boards.

BlackQ: Yes, I here, but a bit busy in 1.08 alpha testing :-) Good luck to all of us!
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Thanks for all the answers. Let's hope development gets easier as your business matures. I have just a few comments to follow your answers.

By proxy dll I meant. The game/app is running in either d3d or ogl. And you make the game read your dll as the original for d3d or ogl. In that way, you intercept the rendering process and add a similar copy with a slight(adjustable) displacement to get the stereo image. The only downside to that is if the application refuses to read your proxy dll, then you are in trouble. I don't know how complex it is. As if you have to test each application and discover which are their rendering calls and double them or if your driver defaults the original dll to render twice, no matter the method used by the application. I would think it is the first option, and that is why not all games are compatible on the driver as it is now. Of course, the ideal method would be to find a way to have a universal driver which no matter the process of rendering, it just renders twice, no questions asked.

About the Geforce 9. Let's assume two options here. 1. I have a geforce 9 series card and an iz3d monitor, will the driver be compatible to earlier versions of directx/OGL. 2. I have not bought the iz3d monitor yet and I have shutterglasses and a CRT; are you planning on supporting all directx/OGL versions in the new driver you're developing for other solutions, or are you going to stick just with directx9/10 and OGL2.0/2.1? I have some old games dating back to GLQuake/2, Undying, realMyst, etc. Games that I would like not to lose compatibility when going on a new driver.

The reason why I was inquiring about the price point for your drivers is because, I'm trying to upgrade my old gaming computer to a new HTPC with a new gfx card and I will not have the opportunity to buy a driver for a high price. I know there are many people who have money to spare in that area, but that is not my case, that is why I was asking for a lower price for future drivers. I've been a fan of stereo3d since I can remember with the anaglyph glasses and 3d cinema, onto the beginning of shutter glasses. If I could I would buy the best stereo solutions like HMDs, dual projectors, or single projectors with high refresh rate. But the most I've been able to get is shutter glasses and an old professional CRT. I don't want to be left out of the ever evolving S3D wave.

Thanks for your time and dedication.
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, yomer!

Yes, we are doing something like that, but it is impossible to make it universal - you need DX8, DX9, DX10 and OpenGL - because all of them have different set of commands.

And here the answers to your question:

1. I have a geforce 9 series card and an iz3d monitor, will the driver be compatible to earlier versions of directx/OGL - yes, you can play DX8/DX9 apps on this card. OpenGL QB - not sure yet - did not test

2. I have not bought the iz3d monitor yet and I have shutterglasses and a CRT; are you planning on supporting all directx/OGL versions in the new driver you're developing for other solutions, or are you going to stick just with directx9/10 and OGL2.0/2.1? I have some old games dating back to GLQuake/2, Undying, realMyst, etc. Games that I would like not to lose compatibility when going on a new driver.

DX7 is not working in 3D - it has poor command structure. We have not OpenGL full support yet, but I think we'll use 2.0/2.1 because previous versions have some limitation for our algorithm. Of course, if iZ3D is supported, other released forms of outputs will be supported as well.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi vadim!

thank you for your answers! the only thing i miss in your player is the possibility to play sensio dvds.. nothing more.. :)
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

:-( just tell me what to do and I'll do :-)
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the time you take to answer our questions. Now if you could add a free energy generator to your monitors so they can power themselves and maybe the whole house, that would rock! :D :shock:
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

it is better to invent normal fusion based reactor - oil and gas price will drop 100% then :-)
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Nothing needs to be invented. I strongly believe processes such as fusion have been mastered in some secret lab. It just doesn't get released in fear of economies which depend on fossil fuels. Entire industries and economies based of carbon, petroleum and natural gas could plummet. My own country, Mexico, depends on petroleum as the strongest source of economic stability and growth. Congressmen fight over the privatization of Pemex, the only federal company with permission to extract the petroleum.

Anyway, maybe a nano fusion based machine could fit into the back of each monitor. :D
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

interesting... I heard many times that Mexico strongly stimulate science and technology development to reduce oil dependence. I have few friends in Mexican universities and they said that professors' salaries are high enough (in physics for example). And our CEO visits Mexico regularly for lectures for optical engineers - because of high demand for education in display area
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Universities might fund alternative energy sources, but that doesn't mean the government can implement all those studies immediately. For example, ethanol processing plants are being built, but they are preparing for a worst case scenario in which oil prices take a dive. There is a motion in congress to allow certain amount of privatization of Pemex, to dig deeper for petroleum. You see, alternate energy might be the future, but the plan is to finish those resources first and take the most advantage out of the income of high barrel prices. Our country is divided into forward ecological thinking scientists who make strong discoveries, and those who even when they see an opportunity to slow global warming, they ignore it and act dumb. What my country needs is more educated people in congress; which we have, but there is this popular political party the PRD, in which many uneducated people dwell. There is this guy Andres Manuel, who thinks he's running a Legitimate Alternate Government after he lost the elections two years ago... talk about stubborn stupid people. The problem is not him, is the congressmen and individuals who follow him. Funny story.
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

yea... wide spread education and smart people are most important assets of any country ... we had similar problem here in Russia... :-(
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

He did win the election.

The current dictatorship in Mexico came to power through a US-backed military coup.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
da_giz
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by da_giz »

Now we went a little off topic, but since it came up I have something to add :)
yomer wrote:Nothing needs to be invented. I strongly believe processes such as fusion have been mastered in some secret lab. It just doesn't get released in fear of economies which depend on fossil fuels.
Nice thinking but not that accurate, the problem with fusion reactors is that we know how it should work in theory but not how it will behave in big scale reactors.
To test this a fusion reactor is being build right now in France. If they are able to get this thing running stable then I guess we will be seeing those reactors growing out of the ground like mushrooms. What the heck you only need a glass of water to power up half of the USA?! :lol:
This reactor in france runs under the nice name ITER and is funded by the EU, USA, Japan, Russia, China, India and Korea.
Mexico doesn't seem to have it's 2 cent in it so you might be right about your country *just kidding*

some links for the interested:
http://www.iter.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8385911/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4629239.stm

There is a reason why astronomers are looking for live on other planets only on planets that are in a certain distance from their sun.
If you are too close to the sun you will get burned!
So only mankind can come up with the idea to build their own sun ON the planet :shock: :roll:

But hey, I think it's cool technology, I would be the first to buy myself my own black whole, imagin what crazy stuff you can do with one.... :wink:
Since it's not invented yet I gotta stick to that iZ3D monitor :P

IZ3D 22", Geforce 280 GTX / Intel e8400 / 4GB RAM
Logitech: G7, K15, Extreme 3D Pro
Win Vista 64bit

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”