eMagin z800

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
Somian
One Eyed Hopeful

eMagin z800

Post by Somian »

hi, i have an emagin z800 since some months but i didnt get it to work with my GeForce 8800. there are no Drivers for it, and no (stereo-)drivers for the 8800, and no 3rd party drivers, so there are no drivers at all, but there must be a way to run it :(

does anybody know if there is a solution to make it work? i tried it at work on a GeForce 6600 and it was awesome, but i ahve a 8800 and won't buy an older videocard because it will be too slow, i think. It also doesn#t work on my laptop- GeForceGo6200.
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

Do you have the new firmware?
The old firmware uses a signal on a VGA pin, so it only works if the graphics card manufacturer provides a way of doing that, making it Nvidia only.

The new firmware has another method, but it is almost useless. You need to keep the frame rate permanently above 60Hz, and you need to use a program to put it in 3D mode. But then you can try using the iZ3D driver in shutter glasses mode. You will need a key to swap eyes.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
Somian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Somian »

how can I set the iz3d drivers to shutter glasses mode? :shock: i had only red/cyan, interlaced and polarization oO
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

It does only 'work' with the beta drivers.
In fact it does barely work, so it's not in the official driver release.
Pageflipping is 'a little' difficult, when you don't have full access to the hardware. That is why Iz3D has teamed up with ATI. Hopefully they will be able to fix it.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Somian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Somian »

where can i get the beta driver?

and does that mean that i'll need an ATIvideocard to get stereo, because i bought nVidia just go get stereo xD

and what's so complicated? to me, the interlaced-mode is looking more complicated, since the two frames are sort of merged. however. I'll try the beta driver. if only one out of 100 games work anfter 1 hour of ini fiddling, that's better than nothing :)
StereoGaming4Me
Two Eyed Hopeful

Odd...

Post by StereoGaming4Me »

When I got my z800 over a year ago, the driver disc that came with it made it work perfectly. To avoid the visor timing out and turning off, use the optional ac adapter without any usb cable from the box to your pc... or the SDK kit should be able to adjust the shutoff timer.

At 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz, no problems at all for most games.. make sure your desktop is set to 800 x 600, and in the stereo settings, adjust the screen res. to 60 hz locked at that resolution, then either launch the game after setting it to run at 800 x 600, or within the game prior to displaying the output on the z800 since you won't see any res higher on it then 800 x 600.

Ghostless and flicker free at 60hz.. the head tracking can and will give people a headache though if playing AVP 2. The headtracking works great, perhaps too great but you can disable it in the z800 driver, or just bypass it by not connecting the box to your pc with the short usb cable and using the ac adapter instead.

One other important thing... nvidia series 8 cards will not work easy with the z800, if at all without a lot of fussing. If you find a series 7 card, like a 7950 gt/gts with 512mb + memory this should hook up and work perfectly with the original driver disk(it puts a little face icon with glasses in your system tray.)
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Somian wrote:where can i get the beta driver?

and does that mean that i'll need an ATIvideocard to get stereo, because i bought nVidia just go get stereo xD

and what's so complicated? to me, the interlaced-mode is looking more complicated, since the two frames are sort of merged. however. I'll try the beta driver. if only one out of 100 games work anfter 1 hour of ini fiddling, that's better than nothing :)
Go to Iz3D, there download, driver and get some beta... 1.08.something
1.09 does not have shutters, because it does not realy work...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Somian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Somian »

there was no beta, there's the 1.09 and i if do full installation, there are beta options like the shutter thing
but it doesnt work for me now, as soon as i installed the iz3d driver, i can't start any game.
StereoGaming4Me
Two Eyed Hopeful

he Somian

At this point I wouldn't suggest trying the iz3d 1.09 driver with this.. that driver won't work for my DIY planar, only real Planar displays according to the folks at iz3d.

It seems like the 1.09 driver is almost proprietary to ATI cards instead of nvidia cards, and while I haven't tried many different combinations I'm finding the normal stereo shutter option for l/r shutterglasses do not work with the 1.09 driver and nvidia cards... perhaps someone else is having better luck but my z800 works perfectly on XP sp2, amd 5200+ dual core(w/dual core optimizer - lots of BSOD's without it), and 7950gt 512, 2gb ram using only nvidia stereo drivers (93.71 pair.)

If you need help hooking your z800 up please pm me and I can walk you through it. It's almost the best S3D solution out there without flicker and ghosting/crosstalk. You should see Wizardry 8 on the z800.. you can see ninja stars, arrows, and spells zoom deep into the scene and the dungeon corridors are fantastic. My z800 may not have the newest firmware on it.. bought it maybe almost 2 years ago when they were $549. Then they bumped the price back up and their forums seemed to be shut down.

I'm hoping this DIY planar can rival the z800 with S3D, but I'm skeptical at this point.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Re: he Somian

Post by Welder »

StereoGaming4Me wrote:At this point I wouldn't suggest trying the iz3d 1.09 driver with this.. that driver won't work for my DIY planar, only real Planar displays according to the folks at iz3d.

It seems like the 1.09 driver is almost proprietary to ATI cards instead of nvidia cards, and while I haven't tried many different combinations I'm finding the normal stereo shutter option for l/r shutterglasses do not work with the 1.09 driver and nvidia cards... perhaps someone else is having better luck but my z800 works perfectly on XP sp2, amd 5200+ dual core(w/dual core optimizer - lots of BSOD's without it), and 7950gt 512, 2gb ram using only nvidia stereo drivers (93.71 pair.)

If you need help hooking your z800 up please pm me and I can walk you through it. It's almost the best S3D solution out there without flicker and ghosting/crosstalk. You should see Wizardry 8 on the z800.. you can see ninja stars, arrows, and spells zoom deep into the scene and the dungeon corridors are fantastic. My z800 may not have the newest firmware on it.. bought it maybe almost 2 years ago when they were $549. Then they bumped the price back up and their forums seemed to be shut down.

I'm hoping this DIY planar can rival the z800 with S3D, but I'm skeptical at this point.
Actually, he was mistaken sadly. Our planar version does not need an ID, so it should work fine. If it is not, then there is possibly another issue. Sorry about the mistaken information. Shuttering in the iZ3D Driver relies on the games FPS, if it goes below the refresh rate, it will desync at the moment. nVidia, or ATI.
Somian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Somian »

my wish for the next version: no unsynch! as soon as the fps drop, the old image should be "cloned", so you'll see low fps but still proper 3-D :)

@StereoGaming4Me: You got a 7950, but i have a 8800, and there are no official-nvidia stereo drivers for it =/

and the iz3d ones didn't really work for me on windows XP, they work fine on my windows vista laptop, too low fps there though :(
StereoGaming4Me
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: he Somian

Welder wrote:
StereoGaming4Me wrote:At this point I wouldn't suggest trying the iz3d 1.09 driver with this.. that driver won't work for my DIY planar, only real Planar displays according to the folks at iz3d.

Actually, he was mistaken sadly. Our planar version does not need an ID, so it should work fine. If it is not, then there is possibly another issue. Sorry about the mistaken information. Shuttering in the iZ3D Driver relies on the games FPS, if it goes below the refresh rate, it will desync at the moment. nVidia, or ATI.

Welder, I got an email from Vadim Asadov over at iZ3D .ru and he said the 1.09 driver will not work for a DIY planar. I know the iz3d folks are looking for z800 testers with the 1.09 driver, but it didn't work for my DIY planar when the 93.71 pair did. No BSOD with the 1.09 driver, but no working stereo either with an nvidia 7 card. I plan to buy an iz3d in the next few weeks if someone can confirm it has the same glitter-like appearance as the 17" model did, and also if the console 3D box will ever sell separately rather then just be built into a newer iz3d then the 22" that David told me about. The final decision is whether or not when I buy an iz3d monitor if it will come with a driver with free upgrades, or because I have an nvidia card I have to pay $50 extra for a nvidia based 3D driver on top of the iz3d 22" itself.. I used to like ATI cards long ago until I found 3D gaming with an nvidia based chipset on an Elsa Erazor III video card which would run off of regular nvidia stereo drivers.

Somian.. I used to have an 8800 gts 640 mb to use with the z800... it would not work no matter what I tried so the iz3d 1.09 driver may be your best option to get it running. Perhaps trying 93.71 or 94.24 nvidia forceware and the iz3d 1.09 stereo will solve your problem with some fiddling. I know for the z800 you need the first stereo option for DDC VGA glasses(IO display), rather then any other option to have it work perfectly fine with nvidia drivers only.. the iz3d driver should offer the same options but may need fine tuning. I uninstalled my 1.09 driver so I think I lost the 90 free trial for nvidia cards, so I won't be able to help you test this and I just got the DIY planar driver running perfect... hope to mount the stereomirror properly tonight then work on mods/lighting so the pupils don't dilate as much but I really don't want to touch the driver setup after 1 month of attempting to get it right and it finally working just a few days ago.
Defender
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: eMagin z800

Post by Defender »

You don't need to buy the powersupply to turn "Standby" off. Just make the settings in the driver.

Also the Mous-Mode / Headtracker can be turned off. If you turn it off you need to disable standby.

You don't have to buy an ati card. It won't be better with it.
- My stereo rig -
- iZ3D 22'' - GTX 260 - i7 920 - 12GB Ram - Windows 7 64bit
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Hello StereoGamingForMe
I got an email from Vadim, to find the person who he told that to. He was mistaken, and the Mirror mode should work with DIY. If not, then there is another issue. I suggest opening a support ticket.

The ATI deal only has to do with the DLP output. The normal iZ3D Driver for the iZ3D Monitor will always be free.

Thanks,
mlarcelet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mlarcelet »

Hi everyone,

I would like to wake up this old post, because i'm in the same situation as somian : got a Z800 and a 8800gtx card. And after having read many threads on many forums, I still dit no find a clear answer to the question "Do i have a chance to make it work ?"

I have several GPUs i have to test with :
a 8800 gtx
a quadro FX4600
a 8800m gtx (xps 1730 laptop)
a 7950m gtx (xps 1710 laptop).

So, is there a way, either by using a pair of nvidia drivers, or izdriver, or whatever, to make stereoscopy working for the Z800 with at least one of these configs ? What do you think about it ?
soberauer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by soberauer »

I've tried nearly everything and eventually gave up, sold my 8800GTS OC and bought a 7900GTX ... I believe I made the right decision. Ideally, I guess, you should have 2 pc's ... one old one with a 7 series card and 3DVisor and a new one for new games. The IZ3D drivers look quite intelligent... who knows... maybe one day IZ3D will write drivers that can run a 3DVisor.
Okta

Post by Okta »

mlarcelet wrote:Hi everyone,

I would like to wake up this old post, because i'm in the same situation as somian : got a Z800 and a 8800gtx card. And after having read many threads on many forums, I still dit no find a clear answer to the question "Do i have a chance to make it work ?"

I have several GPUs i have to test with :
a 8800 gtx
a quadro FX4600
a 8800m gtx (xps 1730 laptop)
a 7950m gtx (xps 1710 laptop).

So, is there a way, either by using a pair of nvidia drivers, or izdriver, or whatever, to make stereoscopy working for the Z800 with at least one of these configs ? What do you think about it ?
Old post but no one has answered. Your z800 will work fine with the 7950 163 and 12.5 stereo driver on XP. You can find modded version of these to install on your laptop.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”