Neil's Messy Basement 42: It's All About the Streaming!

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Neil's Messy Basement 42: It's All About the Streaming!

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dcuttVwp_k

Happy American Thanksgiving! The year-end holidays are nearly upon us, and if you're like us, you're going to want to kick back and enjoy your entertainment the way it's meant to be seen and heard. While this series has focused on making the PC the ultimate home entertainment and gaming solution – PC can't do it all. For streaming media like Disney Plus, Apple TV, Amazon Prime and others – a streaming stick is often necessary to get the highest resolutions and enable the most advanced surround sound technologies available.

Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Neil's Messy Basement 42: It's All About the Streaming!

Post by Dom »

Good Stuff Neil, I am glad you got a chance to buy and see how streaming works at home since you and the consortium have been working on the tech for it. :)

I have just a normal 1080p 720p google Chromecast and Fire Stick for my two tv's. One tv is a 4k and the other is a 1080p. Now on my 4k tv I can get 4kHDR content through the tv's OS LG web os and I don't have HDR on my 1080p tv of course. One thing I would like to say that since I don't have a 3DTV, playing my SBS converted from blu-ray disc I watch Anaylglph red/cyan. And the only way to do that onto my 1080p HDTV is to stream the SBS movie from my laptop through my Google Chromecast (first gen) on a play store 3d movie app. Now while I can stream the movie and still have sync in audio and not really skipping video lag but the video resolution is degraded and pixelated. And at the same time on my laptop screen it looks normal at full resolution.

And another thing I have tried is to stream over remotedesktop from my home server that has stereoscopic player installed and it gives a better picture quality but still iffy since I need to stream my desktop from google chrome browser and can take up CPU resources. Over all its a good starting point and a lot of this is over wifi so it does work not to bad in my mind. :)

I have a plex server on my Xeon Windows Server 2019 computer and comes in handy but I will mostly use my LAN folders to play the movies directly DLNA does have its drawbacks but its really organized with plex and easy to access. One thing I wanted to mention is about the codecs used to play movies and stream games. Alot of the new stuff uses h265 4k and 1080p, the older streaming sticks don''t support those codecs. Also older laptops don't support the game streaming services that well. I went out and bought a new laptop so I could play Google Stadia smoothly. I am looking at getting a Stadia controller and google tv chromecast sometime too.

Dom
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Neil's Messy Basement 42: It's All About the Streaming!

Post by Neil »

That's the thing about Google Stadia. I didn't have peripherals that could connect to it because all my stuff is either wired, or if it was wireless - it was based on a USB wireless transmitter that isn't Bluetooth.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “Neil's Messy Basement”