Headtracking with VR920

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Headtracking with VR920

Post by LukePC1 »

I got to try out the headtracking with a VR920 and it was not jittering a lot when using CarlCenners program.
My question is, wheter we made something wrong.

If it's common maybe add a bar for some small delay depending on the game and the performance of the machine. If you would wait 0,1sec and make the middle value it should cancel out some of the jittering.

Does anyone know more about that?
Maybe you, Carl?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

Made something wrong with what? I don't understand.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, LukePC1!

May be this is off-topic - but just in case want to inform you that we had bug in VR920 output in iZ3D 1.09 b2 and it is corrected now - bug led to some flickering with VR9200
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

No I think it was with Vizuix original driver some time ago...

And it was going left and right all the time, even when my head was still.
Maybe I used the wrong word:
- tremor
- shiver
- jitter
- quiver
- waggle

Well it moves more than the head and if some latency was added - maybe with a scroll bar from 1 to 1000ms - it could reduce the movement. And everyone can choose a latency depending on game and personal opinion.
ayqz1u0s

Segya
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Segya »

I heard GlovePIE can be used for the translation of head movement to mouse movement of the VR920 and that software supports filtering out small movements (like the constant left<->right shaking, which happens because that axis is taken with a compass).
Still waiting for mine to arive, so I couldn't try it out yet.

And I have no clue what CarlKenner's programm is, but if it is software to translate head movement to other movement, then it should support an input treshold because compasses will always shake a bit to the left and right.

I hope I understood the problem and was of some help...
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Segya wrote:I heard GlovePIE can be used for the translation of head movement to mouse movement of the VR920 and that software supports filtering out small movements (like the constant left<->right shaking, which happens because that axis is taken with a compass).
Still waiting for mine to arive, so I couldn't try it out yet.

And I have no clue what CarlKenner's programm is, but if it is software to translate head movement to other movement, then it should support an input treshold because compasses will always shake a bit to the left and right.

I hope I understood the problem and was of some help...
CarlKenner's program IS GlovePIE ;)
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

You can do almost anything imaginable with glovepie. I highly recommend you to read the documentation (the 'preliminary documentation').
I don't understand very well your explanation, but it looks like you may want to smooth out the values. You should use:

Code: Select all

Smooth(x, [ExtraFrames, [DeadbandDistance]])
'x' is the value you want to smooth out. As you can see, you can tell how many frames (glovepie iterations, not game frames) you want to use for the average calculation (but more frames increases lag, of course) and you can also set a dead band. Handy for noisy inputs.
A basic use would be:

mouse.x=Smooth(vr920.Yaw)
If you want to change glovepie's frame rate you can use the PIE object like this:

PIE.FrameRate=50Hz
You may want to create a separated script for each game to account for each game's peculiarities. It's common procedure for me.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

GlovePIE is one of my programs. I also added head-tracking to Assault-Cube (and support for every stereoscopic format EXCEPT iZ3D, because iZ3D won't release their algorithm, and the reverse engineers have been slacking off). In Assault-Cube I used much fancier filtering, with different amounts of filtering based on how fast you are turning, so for fast turning there is no lag. I haven't made an easy way of doing that in GlovePIE yet. The problem is that in addition to high frequency noise, there is also a slow sway from side to side, even when the VR920 is sitting on a table, but I managed to filter that out with tons of filtering (like 200 frames) when you are not turning. I also added some very poor quality head-tracking to some other open source games.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, CarlKenner!

Do you mean L/R conversion to Back/Front? We opened it months ago. We just did not publish it on web site yet, because we have not developers section there. I can send it to you - just give me you contact information via PM
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

Oh cool. I haven't worked on it for months, so I didn't notice.

Please send it to me at: carl.kenner@gmail.com
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

done! - check your e-mail ;-)
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Thanks for all the explanations. I think it's what I was looking for. Unfortunatly I can't try it out myself, because I don't have a VR920 (or other headtracker) to try it out.
The problem is that in addition to high frequency noise, there is also a slow sway from side to side, even when the VR920 is sitting on a table, but I managed to filter that out with tons of filtering (like 200 frames) when you are not turning.
Exactly that is/was the problem I noticed. I'm not shure, whether it was high or low frequency 'swaying'. Well at least it was very anoying and deliverd nearly instant headache or at least discomfort - for not trained user.

So you have to change some .ini or .config file and it's not in the menue, right?

Maybe it's a good Idea to share profiles for special games - if they are difficult to make. Or maybe include them as standard into the file to make it more easy for noobs to enjoy the prog :)

Thanks for all the Help :!:
ayqz1u0s

BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, Carl!

Can not reach you by e-mail:

" message text rejected by gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com:
552 5.7.0 to review our attachment guidelines. 7si2766347ywo.7"

:-( any alternative?
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

Try putting it inside a RAR file. Gmail is allergic to ZIP and EXE files.

Or send it to carl_kenner@hotmail.com
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

re-send with rar to both e-mails

Return to “General Discussion”