New logo

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
DickDastardly
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DickDastardly »

Neil wrote:You are going to laugh, but I called my mother up after the site was released to see how it struck her....when she saw the website....her first reaction was that the logo looked 3D. Everything looked 3D, and she immediately got it...She instantly remarked about the eye that she got a 3D message from it. It made sense to her and she conveyed the message to me without being prodded.
I'm not sure this really proves very much. Mothers tend to be supportive of their children, she knows you're running a site which has something to do with 3D, she knows the design and logo have just been changed and that you're presumably happy with it because you've already implemented the changes. In those circumstances 99.9% of mothers would probably say something along the lines of "Very nice, dear", just as yours did. You might have got a more objective opinion if you'd shown her a selection of possible logos before you'd decided on one, and asked which she preferred, or which of them most made her think of 3D.

In any case, I would respectfully submit that someone who doesn't even know what a URL bar is may not be best placed to judge a website logo when she's presumably had very little exposure to websites generally. Many website logos use extruded text and many also feature some kind of object shaded in such a way that it looks a bit 3D. IMHO the MTBS logo needs something which more explicitly links with stereo 3D vision, and two eyes are the obvious choice.

That's not too say that the crude version I knocked up in a minute in Photoshop should be considered representative - I'm sure Sir C could make a much better two-eyed version which is nearer in quality to his original. (And even if his two-eyed version doesn't look quite as good as his first, I'd still strongly advise against sticking with one eye).
Cheers,
DD
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Maybe the logo shouldn't represent any number of eyes...
Well, anyway, it's what most applies to the word 'seen' in mtbs
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

Two eyes is the whole point of stereoscopic viewing. Extrusion looks sort-of 3D, but all games have that. We want games to use both eyes, because that 3D effect is much cooler.

I really think we need two eyes, since that is our whole reason for existing as an organisation. Does your mum know about stereoscopic 3D? Has she tried it? Does she know it works by sending a different image to each eye?

Doubling the logo still looks good. So I think that is what you should do. You can still use the single eye for all the corners of the boxes, but the main logo needs two eyes.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I meant that it isn't imperative to represent eyes in the logo. Other things could be used related to stereo vision, or even an abstract geometry.

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I just wanted to say that I like the logo. It looks professional and is aesthetic.

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”