Doom 3 BFG

Post your comments about official MTBS game reviews here.
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

doom3

Post by wuhlei »

any one else tried doom3 with hmd and surround sound? its pretty neato
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I'm too coward. It's already scary enough in 2D :)
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

Yes! Well, virtual surround sound from my “gamer soundcard” or whatever with earphones as that is more accurate surround sound than stationary speakers when your head isn’t in a fixed location.
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

I played Doom 3 on a 100 inch projector setup with 7.1 surround. I think I unintentionally lowered my life expectancy.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I've played DOOM3 with the VR920. It can get pretty crazy. To be honest, I'm too scared to play it. Especially since I usually play in the dark anyway with the headset.

Now that I finally have a computer good enough to run DOOM3 I realized the graphics weren't all that great. All the people look like zombies, not sure if thats on purpose or they just got cheap with the textures. Also, having to listen to those audio recordings is annoying. I would usually just write the numbers down, but how do I do that with a headset on? Its just too much.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I creep out a little just playing Ravenholm in HL2 so i'm not gonna mention Doom3.. :oops:

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
wuhlei

Post by wuhlei »

yeah how hold is doom3 like 4 or 5 years old?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
Neil

Doom 3 BFG

Post by Neil »

Introduction

[stimg='Doom 3 BFG' url=http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... -00-10.jpg]http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... -00-10.jpg[/stimg]
The Doom franchise started as a follow-up to Castle Wolfenstein 3D, and arguably marked itself as a true proof of concept for the first person shooter, and popularized the genre into the gaming standard we have today.

Thinking back to 1993, I think everyone has a Doom story to share. Mine is that I showed it off to my soon to be girlfriend. I don't think she was as impressed with the game as I was, and I honestly don't know why she pursued me after I used Doom as my courtship showpiece, but maybe...just maybe...I owe John Carmack more than he realizes!
Read full article...
cybereality

Re: Doom 3 BFG

Post by cybereality »

Great! Can't wait to play this on the Rift.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Sounds very nice indeed! What has always bugged me with Doom 3 was what you described at one point, the "jump into your face" tactic of scaring me, I don't find that very enjoyable as it is a fairly cheap method and does not really set a mood. Just getting creeped out by sounds is good enough for me.

I do like that they have brightened it up a bit though, I want to see what I'm supposed to shoot, and I think I heard in an interview that you can use the flashlight at any time now without switching out your weapon. That sure will make it a smoother experience.

And as cybereality I'm very much looking forward to playing this on the Rift... just worried I will be too scared to play for long ._.
Neil

Post by Neil »

It's a tense game for sure.

Regards,
Neil
purifier
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by purifier »

I've just installed it and tried to play in side by side, it's the only game that gives me an insane amout of crosstalk, making it 100% unplayable, am I doing something wrong?
I'm using the in game 3d option by the way, if I try to run it through tridef3d it doesn't find the game in the list of supported ones :(
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The DOOM3 environment is probably the worst-case-scenario for ghosting on 3D TVs. Adjusting the settings on the TV may mitigate the issue but its probably not fixable.
Neil

Doom 3 BFG

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

IntroductionGeneral ReviewStereoscopic 3DConclusion Introduction The Doom franchise started as a follow-up to Castle Wolfenstein 3D, and arguably marked itself as a true proof of concept for the first person shooter, and popularized the genre into the gaming standard we have today.   Thinking back to 1993, I think everyone has a Doom story to share. Mine is that I showed it off to my soon to be girlfriend. I don't think she was as impressed with the game as I was, and I honestly don't know why she pursued me after I used Doom as my courtship showpiece, but maybe…just maybe…I owe ...

Return to “MTBS Game Review User Remarks”