Mitsubishi Releases Laservue HDTV's with S3D Capabilities

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Mitsubishi Releases Laservue HDTV's with S3D Capabilities

Post by pixel67 »

Here is the latest pricing on Amazon In a word...OUCH!

Still uses the checkerboard pattern to display 3D so at least we are seeing some consistency in accepted formats in the HDTV industry. Shouldn't have any washed out colors with this set! Sure will be interesting to see an actual review of this that even mentions S3D... washed out colors shouldn't be an issue!

:)
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Mitsubishi Releases Laservue HDTV's with S3D Capabilitie

Post by martinlandau »

pixel67 wrote:Still uses the checkerboard pattern to display 3D so at least we are seeing some consistency in accepted formats in the HDTV industry.
How much resolution is lost with checkerboard pattern technology? 1/2?
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

1/2, but it is diagonal resolution, so it doesn't matter so much.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
CraziFuzzy
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Mitsubishi Releases Laservue HDTV's with S3D Capabilities

Post by CraziFuzzy »

I , personally, don't see what the laser light source is supposed to add over the LED's that samsung is using, except perhaps an extra buzzword, and more cost. It still uses the exact same 1920x540/2 checkerboard 120Hz wobulated TI DLP chip to generate the image from the light source...
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Im a bit fuzzy( No pun intended CraziFuzzy ;) ) on my knowledge of these,
But isn't the purpose of the laser technology to replace the color wheel?
CraziFuzzy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CraziFuzzy »

Yes, that's the idea, but Samsung's LED drivers already did that about 2 years ago, and without the crazy cost of a laser system. The Samsung DLP's have 3 different arrays of LED's, Red, Green, and Blue, that toggle on and off. This is far more accurate then the color wheel, and can switch much faster/cleaner. The color accuracy is also greatly improved. Even more importantly, the life of the LED's far exceeds that of the old bulbs, and probably that of the 'lasers'. Basically, the Mitsu's lasers are just about buzz.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

CraziFuzzy wrote:I , personally, don't see what the laser light source is supposed to add over the LED's that samsung is using, except perhaps an extra buzzword, and more cost. It still uses the exact same 1920x540/2 checkerboard 120Hz wobulated TI DLP chip to generate the image from the light source...
I used to spend a lot of time at avsforum where all the really rich guys hang out. I remember them getting all excited when sony and others started talking about lasers and sxrd and lots of other buzzy words. I started seeing prices like 100K to 200K US dollars - more than my lotus and some affaciando's talking about million dollar home theater/gaming systems with lasers. They assured me the lasers were brighter and contrast levels superior but I thought if I can get 95% of their experience for 5% of the cost I couldn't be considered "elite" or "purist" but have money left over for a private plane or second vacation home, it's all about priorities. One time this guy had me over in his house with his solid gold special made audio cables that were many thousands of dollars and I read about some website testing similar cables to a metal coat hanger that cost a dollar reproducing the audio fidelity and he assured me he could hear the difference. He enlightened me we could spend the next many hours or days for him to educate me and convince me of his wise investment, but life is short and I just didn' have the time to learn ;( We walked out into his garage and he had a mosler kevlar fiber supercar that he assured me was also far superior at 400K to the new vette zr1 at 100K and I didn't have time to learn about that wise investment either. Perhaps you just need more time in your life for these people to educate you to your ignorance?
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CraziFuzzy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CraziFuzzy »

Those 100-200k laser setups that were talked about back on AVSForum are front projection systems, and they DO have a lot of advantages (they provide the high contrast and color definition of samsung's led's, but with the power needed for front projection). They also use much more powerful/expensive lasers than the mitsu sets. However, the 'buzz' from that is WHY mitsu is able to sell off that lasers would be better than LED in a closed rear projection set.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”