Asus VG274H / HDMI Frame Packed stereo from PCs

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
mmmmmmmm
One Eyed Hopeful

Asus VG274H / HDMI Frame Packed stereo from PCs

Post by mmmmmmmm »

Has anybody tried and succeeded to get frame packed 3d modes working on the Asus VG274H from PC sources? Xorg.conf modelines (Linux) and Display Overrides (OS X) that work just fine for stereo 1080p24 on the Acer HN278N yield a badly garbled screen on the Asus. Not garbled in a "incorrect 3d mode" way, but garbled in a flashing green and hot pink, busted kind of way.

I'm wondering if I'm asking something of it that it cannot do, or whether I have a defective display. I've tested at this point a selection of Nvidia graphics cards with both DVI and HDMI outputs. While it's true that I'm not technically sending any HDMI 1.4a stereo setup packets from either of these OSs, I've largely met with success just sending the correct frame packed resolution to various devices in the past --- does the Asus / 3d Vision 2 mark the beginning of the end of this trick?
Last edited by mmmmmmmm on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Asus VG274H / HDMI Frame Packed stereo from PCs

Post by Fredz »

It may be a timing problem with the mode you created, have a look at this post for more informations :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 377#p79377
mmmmmmmm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mmmmmmmm »

Possibly. The modeline that I'm using is: 148.35 1920 2558 2602 2750 2205 2209 2214 2250 +hsync +vsync

But I have tried a bunch of variations. Essentially I'm following the instructions here: http://www.tweaksoftware.com/static/doc ... ection-6.5

Everything is dandy on the Acer, but pink+green flashes with just the top of my display peeking out at the top on the Asus.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Does it work correctly when connected to 3DTV Play, a Blu-Ray 3D player or a PS3 ? Maybe the monitor has a problem ?
mmmmmmmm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mmmmmmmm »

I guess it's time to put together a Windows partition and find out (it's frustrating that I cannot take my success on the Acer and just move it over to the Asus).
mmmmmmmm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mmmmmmmm »

So here's what I can confirm about the Asus VG278H, on Windows.

1. It works perfectly well with Nvidia's 3DTV Play out of an Nvidia graphics card + HDMI. That is, the IR emitter turns on and the 3d demos run well.

2. Manually adding a custom resolution in Windows (say, by following the instructions here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 377#p79377 or using PowerStrip) does not work at all --- at best I get the same thing as my OS X and Linux tests --- pink and green corruption of most of the screen and no emitter activation.

3. PowerStrip reports a refresh rate more like 25.3Hz for 3DTV Play's frame packed mode; but copying the specifics of that mode (either on Windows or Linux) doesn't work either.

So it seems that the old trick of just sending the right resolution (but not sending HDMI 1.4a stereo info packets) is a complete bust on the Asus. I have no idea how this screen is supposed to work with frame-packed games from the HDMI 1.3 Xbox, and it also means that it doesn't work on OS X or Linux (at least on non-quadro graphics cards; the most recent Nvidia drivers for Linux mention a HDMI 3D stereo mode for Quadro cards). I'll stick with the Acer for now then, unless anybody can confirm a Nvidia 3d Vision 2 / Lightboost capable monitor that "does the right thing".

I feel like there should be a database someplace where we can document each monitors real-world behavior, and their openness to turning 3d mode on.
crash27
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by crash27 »

I got mine to work but only at 720 x 1280 @120hz over hdmi. If you don't want to use this for NVidia don't get it. you don't need NVidia 3dtv software to run with :shutter . just use the duel link dvi cable that came with it.

Return to “3D Monitors”