new unseen VR1440 from vuzix.

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
OllyLuck
Two Eyed Hopeful

new unseen VR1440 from vuzix.

Post by OllyLuck »

i was just looking around the us site for the wrap 920av glasses and noticed that there was a product sheet so i opened it up and started to read, quote from the product sheet.

Vuzix continues to set the standard for innovative and high-quality video eyewear products.
The iWear® VR920 is the world’s best-selling virtual display system while the iWear AV310
Widescreen is the world’s first wearable 16:9 widescreen display.Now, the Wrap 920AV raises
the bar once again with a true ‘sunglass look’ that transforms video eyewear from geek to chic.
Regardless of your video source – iPod®, iPhone, media player,DVD player or cell phone –
Vuzix has a video eyewear model that delivers the ultimate big screen experience on the go.
And, for PC users, the new VR1440 gives you the resolution you’ve been asking for and the VR
experience you’ve only dreamed about.The Vuzix iWear and Wrap wearable displays deliver
the future of video eyewear – today.

you can find the product sheet here. http://www.vuzix.com/site/_photo/sheet/ ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was just wondering if anyone new any info or pichers of this new VR1440 product they mention ?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: new unseen VR1440 from vuzix.

Post by cybereality »

Now this has got me interested. What is this VR1440 they speak of?
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

unseen? we saw this at engadget days ago
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

yuriythebest wrote:unseen? we saw this at engadget days ago
link please?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

judging by the image in the pdf it's the same as the one mentioned here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okta

Post by Okta »

I think im missing something Yuri, that link is the Wrap 920AV whick is for dvd players stc. This VR1440 sounds like it will be a higher res version of the vr920 for pc's.

If so im very interested.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Okta wrote:I think im missing something Yuri, that link is the Wrap 920AV whick is for dvd players stc. This VR1440 sounds like it will be a higher res version of the vr920 for pc's.

If so im very interested.
yup you are right- seems they will have several similar-looking HMD's of this 'new style'. So much at CES :)

I'm very intrigued by the
The USB powered stereo camera pair
that attaches to the Wrap 920AV
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

yuriythebest wrote:
Okta wrote:I'm very intrigued by the
The USB powered stereo camera pair
that attaches to the Wrap 920AV
There's a render of these camera here. Look at the picture to the right at the accessories tab.

This HMD is going to drain the batteries fast, especially with the cameras added. The Vuzix website says 6 hours on 2 AA batteries.

It might not be made for that but it would be nice if it had a video output, to record what the two cameras see with an external camcorder or something.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

The Vuzix model number is the number of kilosubpixels per eye. Therefore, 920 = 640x480, and 1440 = 800x600.

So it is the same resolution as an eMagin Z800 or an SD TDVisor. I think 800x600 is a good enough resolution for a HMD.

I don't know if people have noticed, but the 920 Wrap has a slightly LOWER FOV than the VR920. I think that is quite disappointing.

But I love the 6DOF tracking, especially if it includes both GPS and tracking over a small area.

And the stereoscopic cameras are cool.

I'm not too sure about the whole see-through Augmented Reality thing though. I hope there is some sort of immersion filter.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
Okta

Post by Okta »

I really hope the VR1440 has a higher FOV than the 920. It would be insane not to have as this is the biggest demand for HMD's. As for the 920 wrap, I could not care less as its not designed for pc use and is only a re-hashed AV920.
Sulix
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sulix »

I wonder if there is a possibility to mount those two stereo cameras towards the eyes. This would be fantastic, but I doubt they support such a configuration :/
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Sulix wrote:I wonder if there is a possibility to mount those two stereo cameras towards the eyes. This would be fantastic, but I doubt they support such a configuration :/
I don't understand what you mean. Could you explain? Do you mean cameras that rotate as you rate your eyes?

CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

I assume they mean they want the camera to look at their eyes, so it can detect where they are looking and when they are blinking or winking.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

Vuzix VR1440

* Native resolution 800x600 per eye
* Downscales resolutions up to 1600x1200 (hopefully upscales 640x480, but I haven't heard)
* Aspect ratio 4:3
* Stereoscopic 3D
* According to Hak.5, who I don't entirely trust, it has a 6 foot virtual screen (at unknown distance), compared to VR920's 5.17 foot virtual screen 9 feet away.
* Style same as VR920, but with earbuds on wires that clip onto the outside of the earpieces when not in use.
* 6DOF Headtracking

Image: http://www.mblast.com/files/companies/1 ... maller.gif
Okta

Post by Okta »

CarlKenner wrote:Vuzix VR1440

* Native resolution 800x600 per eye
* Downscales resolutions up to 1600x1200 (hopefully upscales 640x480, but I haven't heard)
* Aspect ratio 4:3
* Stereoscopic 3D
* According to Hak.5, who I don't entirely trust, it has a 6 foot virtual screen (at unknown distance), compared to VR920's 5.17 foot virtual screen 9 feet away.
* Style same as VR920, but with earbuds on wires that clip onto the outside of the earpieces when not in use.
* 6DOF Headtracking

Image: http://www.mblast.com/files/companies/1 ... maller.gif
DROOL!!!

Please PLease Please have a good fov and decent price and i will buy for sure.

Iz3d will most likely support these more and more as it would be mutually benficial.
DelTorres
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DelTorres »

Uh that sounds nice. Tho 800x600 is surely not what we have "only dreamed about"
But with a good price it still might be interesting :-) What do you think where the price will be set? 600$ ?

Since the TDVision 720p won't come anytime soon, I wonder if HMDs are in a dead end right now?
Sulix
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sulix »

Yeah, I meant one camera per each eye. Both cameras are static, but they record the eyes pupil. I would need that as I'm performing gaze tracking for my app. Currently I'm working with a one camera approach positioned beneath the screen.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

The picture of the cameras for the the wrap 920AV on Vuzix website shows that the cameras are positionned on top of the HMD, on top of each eye. It's probably similar for the VR1440. They are most probably pointed straight ahead and not towards the user eyes.

Sulix
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sulix »

Yeah and thats the problem. I wonder if it is even possible to mount cameras for gaze tracking on a HMD. Probably there isn't leaking much light into the space between eye and the dual HMD screens, so you'd have to rely on a high brightness of the displayed content. Anyway, the images of the eyes would be very desaturated I guess, and combined with the cameras noise ( I guess those aren't high quality cams ) image tracking could be quite difficult. On the other side, on such a short distance the method error could be quite acceptable.

Well, but I guess they are not offering such a solution.
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

yuriythebest wrote:unseen? we saw this at engadget days ago
Oh yeah? got a link to the 1440's?
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

So basically it is a lesser version of the Z800. (Z800 = 40 degree FOV)
But with custom 3D drivers. Tempting but as HMDs are all about immersion, I think that a pre 2007 game at 40 degrees may be a better deal than a new game at 35 degrees or whatever.

Im grateful for the choice but frankly disappointed that they cant even match a competitors product released in 2005!
Okta

Post by Okta »

genetic wrote:So basically it is a lesser version of the Z800. (Z800 = 40 degree FOV)
But with custom 3D drivers. Tempting but as HMDs are all about immersion, I think that a pre 2007 game at 40 degrees may be a better deal than a new game at 35 degrees or whatever.

Im grateful for the choice but frankly disappointed that they cant even match a competitors product released in 2005!
I was not aware of the released FOV for the vr1440?
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

Okta wrote:
I was not aware of the released FOV for the vr1440?
Sorry, I was just guessing based on the fov 6 ft from however far away bit.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

genetic wrote:So basically it is a lesser version of the Z800. (Z800 = 40 degree FOV)

The VR1440 will have 6DOF tracking, downscaling from 1024x768 and even 1600x1200, multiple stereoscopic drivers, lots of software support, no burn-in, and can be put on like glasses, which the Z800 doesn't have.

While there are a few things the Z800 has that the VR1440 doesn't, The Z800 is and was considerably more expensive than the VR920. And I expect the VR1440 will still be cheaper than a Z800.

I want a CyberfaceX as much as the next person, but I know now that FOV isn't everything.
DelTorres
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DelTorres »

@CarlKenner: how comes that FOV ins't everything?? An yeah, I want a CyberfaceX too.
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

Because good head-tracking, stereoscopic 3D, blocking out the real world, and being able to play standing up, all add a huge amount of immersion, even with a fairly low FOV.

It's not as bad as if you hold up your hands in front of your face to make you only see 32 degrees in front of you, because you can set the FOV of the game to about 70 degrees without it feeling strange.

An FOV that is immersive just by itself would be great. But there are other ways to get immersion.

And an immersive FOV is very expensive.

I would rank things that give you immersion in this order:

1 head tracking
2 immersive FOV
3 realistic or good controls
4 stereoscopic 3D
5 shutting out the real world
barthburger
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by barthburger »

What about Text?

Do you 3d Guru's think that these 1440's will be able to finnally have legible text such as when playing an MMO?

That's a big thing for me with using the Head Tracking.
tentaclesex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tentaclesex »

I hope it has better color depth than the VR920. That was the thing that really killed it for me; not the resolution.
barthburger
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by barthburger »

Sorry to repost but was just curious if anyone has any insite on my question about if Text would be readable in their oppinnion :)
Okta

Post by Okta »

I think it will be dicey at best. Low res combines with optics that have a hard task. But it may be better than the vr920.

Also at this point i wonder if this thing will actually exist? It was reffered to in that single pdf and i have found no other mention on the interwebs, including Vuzix forum where i thought some questions would be asked.
It would be nice if someone has any further information regarding its status?

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”