NEC shows off 12.1-inch no-glasses-required 3D display

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

NEC shows off 12.1-inch no-glasses-required 3D display

Post by yuriythebest »

One day, not too far off in the distant future, we have a dream that all 3D displays will be able to engross us in the third-dimension sans goggles. That these no-glasses-required 3D displays will be the rule, and not the exception. Till that fateful day arrives, however, we're still going to be impressed with ones similar to NEC's latest, a 12.1-incher with an SVGA (800 x 600) resolution. Reportedly, the outfit has developed the prototype screen to show off 3D material without requiring the viewer to ugly up their face with a set of those wonky glasses. There's no sign of a commercial release just yet, but we'll be keeping our naked eyes peeled just in case that changes.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/17/nec- ... d-display/

anyone know why larger glasses-free 3d displays are harder to make?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

Because you are viewing one side of the screen at one angle, and the other side of the screen at a completely different angle. The autostereoscopic screens work based on the angle you are looking at them from.

From the picture, it looks like they have done something unusual, and rearranged the subpixels on the screen, so the pixels are vertical and the interlacing is per-pixel instead of per-subpixel. That makes it easier to program.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Post by funkee »

CarlKenner wrote:Because you are viewing one side of the screen at one angle, and the other side of the screen at a completely different angle. The autostereoscopic screens work based on the angle you are looking at them from.

From the picture, it looks like they have done something unusual, and rearranged the subpixels on the screen, so the pixels are vertical and the interlacing is per-pixel instead of per-subpixel. That makes it easier to program.
Actually, this is not the major thing they did. By the looks of it they changed the aspect ratio of the pixel. This is the kicker, I think, since it results in a finer pitched barrier rib leading to less obvious black stripes in the image when in 3D. If they compensated for this by increasing the resolution it might actually look very good. Of course it's still a barrier rib display with 2 views: this results in a very narrow sweet spot in which you see 3D.
As for the size of the panel: it's not really more difficult to do this with a larger panel. It's just that the smaller panels come from cheaper factories. Cheaper = less risk. Barrier rib displays have been shown on any size, to very large ones indeed. Even multiview (5,8,10 views) have been shown. No fundamental problems there either.
As for the viewing angle: this is not completely true. Most of the times and applications the user sits closer to the smaller panel, leading to a similar viewing angle. Only for really small dipslays (phones and such) there is really a smaller angle.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Cool, I like this very much if it brings in 3D for everyone :).

@ Carl, is this sub-pixel splitting what makes the auto-stereo color problems I have heard of?

According to the graphic in the first post the RGB are all horizontal, meaning you have to block off a whole pixel, or the lattice may allow a bit of a neighboring sub-pixel through, causing color issues.
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

With the Sharp 3D laptop screen, it has the red dot for the left eye, the green dot for the right eye, the blue dot for the left eye, the next red dot for the right eye, the next green dot for the left eye, and the next blue dot for the right eye, and repeat.

Try choosing the Sharp 3D mode in Assault Cube to see what I mean.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

By the way, i remember hearing about some notebooks with autostereo 3D monitors (parallax barrier) announced at CES08

What happened to them ?
StereoGaming4Me
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by StereoGaming4Me »

I almost bought the Sharp 15" model that was around $1495.00 then dropped to $499 or $599 before they sold out everywhere. Would be nice to see one of these in action.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”