Fallout 3 S-3D Game Review

Post your comments about official MTBS game reviews here.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

PressBot

Post by PressBot »

Neil

Post by Neil »

The Fallout 3 review is up!

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/game_revi ... news_id=62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attached is the DDD profile used in the review. If you have additional settings ideas for iZ3D and NVIDIA solutions, please share.

Regards,
Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Fallout 3 S-3D Game Review

Post by martinlandau »

Neil, I had this vision as I was leaving this earth and floating above my body, it was you doing a stereo3d video review of fallout 3. I have went all over the net looking for this, every s3d manufacturer and game developer and I know you are going to be the visionary to break the mold. My friend at intel said a consumer will never need 8 cores, 1 core is more than enough for anyone, I said you just wait, Neil hasn't done his 1080P stereo3d crysis video review. Might need 16 cores then, and he called up his intel boss and said stop the presses, we have new content to make new chips for!
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Neil I meant to go to sleep, but your site is so addictive, it is killing me ;) I too loved Oblivion on the iz3d monitor with the iz3d drivers. But now that I no longer have an iz3d monitor because I gave it away to the dragoncon directors I will have to think hard on things. That zalman is heavily promoted by Cyberreality. Great review, I loved the first 2 fallouts but wanted to hear some great things on fallout 3 before I purchased and played it. Your review gives me the inspiration I need, whew, want to know how to have a million dollars with stereo3d as a hobby? Start with 2 million - this stuff is breaking me - LOL! ;) Heck I can always work and make more I guess. I have to wait for you to call EPIC WIN on these games now and other s3d solutions, I just can't afford to try them all without your help- looks like so many will be flooding our way - otherwise the debts I will have to run up with the russian mafia to test stuff without your help will get me taking a dirt nap pushing up daisies FAST! FALLOUT 3 EPIC WIN!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by martinlandau on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neil

Post by Neil »

I can't get enough of that picture. You should get it framed! :mrgreen:

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

This is very good news. Its nice to see another driver become a serious contender. Especially for us Zalman owners as there are now 3 choices of drivers with modern support. Very nice. I think I will pick this game up after all.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Cyber if you are using zalman, and neil is using zalman, I can't be uncool and not follow my heroes, where can I pick up zalman for cheap?
Neil

Post by Neil »

All solutions are cool! I used the Zalman because I needed a means to test two driver solutions on one computer. iZ3D and DDD both support interlaced output.

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

splenid! I like the 3d orc and the way the gun is not larger than everything else!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hello everyone,

I have been receiving some questions and feedback about how the review was done.

In particular:

1. The version number of the DDD drivers in the picture captions is different than what is publicly available on their website.
2. Some are suggesting that these problems are unique to my systems.

It was an error on my part to create this version number confusion. I do indeed possess later versions of the DDD drivers, but this has nothing to do with my Fallout 3 review experience. The version numbers are different because driver optimizations were required for our SIGGRAPH Need For Speed SHIFT demonstration. The Fallout 3 results were determined far sooner, and you should be able to duplicate them with my profile and/or instructions with the publicly available DDD drivers.

In fact, DDD's original Fallout 3 profile was problematic. What is attached at the beginning of this thread is a profile I created myself using DDD's interface. The instructions on how this was done are already included in the game review.

As for the anomaly problems described, I can't create screenshots on the iZ3D solution. However, in all of MTBS' game reviews, we seek a combined depth and pop-out experience where in first person, we can walk towards an object, and it will transition from a depth to pop-out experience. This does not necessarily reflect what all gamers want, but it does demonstrate optimal game setting flexibility. This is what we are after in all our reviews.

To duplicate my findings with iZ3D, go with a separation level of 196.53% and a convergence level of -0.0182 in 1680X1050 resolution on a 22" display. These findings should not be a surprise to anyone as they were described here as well as when this game was in its prime:

http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=1442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I apologize for the confusion. If my results are uniquely flawed with these settings, by all means post your findings as I do not want to misrepresent anything.

Thanks in advance,
Neil
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Great to see a video Neil. Do you have any plans to get a Hardware Card to capture? As we all agree that TriDef = Puke right? Personally Fallout 3 didn't even look 3D in that video (And the aspect ratio was seriously messed up, although thats more likely YouTube messing up on the Red/Cyan option)
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

Neil

Post by Neil »

Unfortunately, the YouTube video was reversed. Check it out again.

The side by side was captured from interlaced, converted to side by side, and then converted to anaglyph. Yuck!

Fortunately, new DDD drivers will feature an updated side by side option to avoid these problems.

Regards,
Neil
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

So do you see hope for the TriDef DDD drivers then? As in my own experience they only worked with a couple games that I own and were unsatisfactory performance/quality-wise.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

Neil

Post by Neil »

Time will tell. So far, they show great promise and are competitive.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

UndeadD3vi1 wrote:Great to see a video Neil. Do you have any plans to get a Hardware Card to capture? As we all agree that TriDef = Puke right? Personally Fallout 3 didn't even look 3D in that video (And the aspect ratio was seriously messed up, although thats more likely YouTube messing up on the Red/Cyan option)
I agree undead, I would like to see Neil do a ton of s3d video reviews.

I do not agree with you on DDD.

I bought an iz3d monitor just for oblivion, and loved it. I was going to purchase an nvidia 3d vision because they advertised star wars KOTOR and I would love s3d with that game even with s3d flaws. I cannot speak to any other game but test drive:shift, but the DDD drivers at siggraph with that game were AMAZING. No flaws that I could detect, very immersive cockpit with eyepleasing seperation and convergence. I don't remember a lot of popout, but again we are talking a 20 foot projection screen that was used at siggraph, I think flaws would have been easy to detect for everyone on that large setp - size matters.

Smooth and fluid and EXHILIRATING experience for me. And now I have purchased some game consoles just for han tao. Neil has the right idea and I feel is really looking out for us. I want my s3d experience to be supreme. Why play fallout 3 without his recommendation and testing and reviews? You know how much time and money I would have to spend to replicate what Neil has given away here for free and test all this stuff. Thank you Neil.
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Hows performance on DDD compared to iz3D? Its good to hear they are improving the drivers, although I still don't trust a company that claims its perfected realtime 2D > 3D video conversions.

Neil

Post by Neil »

They offer a free trial. I would need to do a 2D to 3D performance comparison, but so far, it is competitive.

Regards,
Neil
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Could you compare a movie available in FS to the 2D version being converted by the TriDef player? Maybe a review of your experience with it?

Neil

Post by Neil »

I need to ponder your question. It's not true 3D - it's pseudo 3D.

Check this out!

http://www.facebook.com/fallout3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The official Fallout 3 Facebook page took notice of our review! :shutter

Regards,
Neil
warface
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by warface »

Hi All,

We took a look at the review of the iZ3D drivers with Fallout 3 and we came up with some fixes.

1. Pip-Boy Screen separating at high levels
- We used "Preset Buttons" to fix this issue. I'll tell you how: By default, your second preset is "NumPad 8". So, hit that button and bring up the Pip Boy screen. Set the separation and convergence at the proper levels for it to look good. Then...go into the Fallout 3 keyboard settings and change the Pip Boy screen hotkey to "Numpad 8". That way, when you hit that key to bring up the Pip Boy, it will also automatically change the 3D settings to what you set it to earlier.
2. VATS system causes inconsistent separation
- The solution to this one is exactly like the Pip Boy, with two exceptions. You'll want to use your third preset, which is "NumPad 9", and the second is we recommend using a lower separation. Because you're always a different distance away from your VATS target, the settings will always be different...but with a lower separation for just the VATS, you should have no problems when zooming in.
3. Lights and light sources get disconnected from each other when you try to achieve out of screen effects.
- This issue took us a bit longer to nail down, but we did find what was causing the problem. Because it only happens on some systems and not others, we're going to include the fix in our next 1.10RC2 driver release, which will be coming very soon.

We're working with Neil on the screenshot issue. We cannot duplicate it so we'll continue to work with Neil and see if there is any pattern there.

Regards,

Warface
Earmack
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Earmack »

One of my fauvarite game, glad to find review=)
Neil

Post by Neil »

By Neil Schneider Introduction General Game Review iZ3D Stereoscopic 3D Findings NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Findings DDD Tridef Ignition Findings Conclusion

Return to “MTBS Game Review User Remarks”