U-DECIDE Initiative FAQ

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

U-DECIDE Initiative FAQ

Post by Neil »

Hello everyone!

In conjunction with AMD, iZ3D, The Game Creators, BlitzGamesStudios and Guild Software, we have we have launched U-DECIDE, an initiative to move the industry with gamers' voices.

It's a quick survey that we are using to build a report so the industry knows it is moving in the right direction and according to gamers' wants and needs. Once the data collection is complete, there will be a draw for AMD graphics cards, iZ3D monitors, and a wide selection of video games for PC and console.

Here are some FAQ we have received so far:

1. Are prizes shipped worldwide?

Our plan was to do this on condition that shipping is manageable. Don't ask me what that means yet - just know we want this to work for everyone.

2. Why doesn't Quebec, Canada qualify?

I'm originally from Montreal, Quebec, so I have nothing against the province! However, they have very stringent contest laws that would make our efforts difficult. This is not unusual.

3. What about 2D gamers?

A concern was raised that the survey would only be filled by S-3D gamers and be skewed. This is one of the reasons why we are working with AMD, iZ3D, BlitzGamesStudios, The Game Creators, and Guild Software. They are putting measures in to help promote the survey.

Please share this URL with your friends, with fellow gamers, with EVERYONE! The bigger the sample, the stronger our result. We are already starting to see big differences in how 3D and 2D gamers think differently, and if we can trend this, it will be very helpful for everyone.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Hey Neil, I took the survey, they had some good questions. That is interesting about quebec, I never knew they had such stringent laws, I always assumed they were laid back and easy going. Is that why you moved?
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: U-DECIDE Initiative FAQ

Post by koshien »

Neil wrote: 1. Are prizes shipped worldwide?

Our plan was to do this on condition that shipping is manageable.
ok, good.
I guess that means people outside of U.S. are going to pay part of the shipping bill... fair enough.
Too bad there are also douane costs. But, hey, whatchagonna do? :)
Last edited by koshien on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

where is the prize list?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm going to PM all the people who entered the survey so far.

We reset the survey because their was a lot of confusion with the 1 to 5 rating scale. Now 1 is lowest, 5 is highest.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Regards,
Neil
koshien

Post by koshien »

yuriythebest wrote:where is the prize list?
Here it is: http://mtbs3d.com/prizes.shtml
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Aaargh, I am re-taking the survey, please be aware that question 16 is still backwards.

Normally if you are ranking something higher it should go from left (lowest rank) to right (highest rank).

I don't know why this is bugging me so much, I don't think I have ever had a problem with these before, and I have taken a few surveys.
Neil

Post by Neil »

The reason that question is set that way is it's more like a ranking than a measure of how strongly you feel about something.

Like in a race, what comes first, second, and third. Going 3, 2, 1 didn't make sense.

Regards,
Neil
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I don't know what to say, it just feels counter-intuitive, you may separate the instructions from the question and bold them, placing them over the selection area.

Also the "bold" on this site is nearly indistinguishable from non-bold, so make sure it really looks bold if you do that.
koshien

Post by koshien »

Ehm, Neil, may I ask you...is the monday thing still to be announced? :)
It's getting late over here... :shock:
Neil

Post by Neil »

We have to play it by ear. There may be a more formal announcement, so we want to play it safe.

Regards,
Neil
koshien

Post by koshien »

Neil wrote:We have to play it by ear. There may be a more formal announcement, so we want to play it safe.

Regards,
Neil
Thanks for the fast answer... I understand the situation...but, one more thing. If this formal announcement is going to take place, do you know if it will be today?
Sorry for bothering, I'm just a little excited :D
Neil

Post by Neil »

Tough call!

Regards,
Neil
koshien

Post by koshien »

:D
Ok, I won't hold my breath :lol:
I'll go study then :shock:
Neil

Digg, Digg, Digg!

Post by Neil »

Please Digg, Digg, Digg!

http://digg.com/gaming_news/AMD_ATI_3D_ ... e_Launched

The more gamers we get to participate, the better.

Thanks in advance,
Neil
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

The questions about computer value and how much spent on computer this year will give misleading results for the experienced 3D gamer version of the survey.

My 3 year old computer is no longer worth much but I am unable to upgrade my computer due to Nvidias great stubbornness on drivers.

If I had a choice I would probably spend about $1500-$2000 on a new computer but as an HMD user I don’t have that choice.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Doesn't matter. Just fill the survey as you know how.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Neil wrote:Doesn't matter. Just fill the survey as you know how.

Regards,
Neil
Ok Neil, I am going to retake the survey, what about quebec - you never did say why you moved? Was it the weak beer? Or Celine Dion?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Opportunity!

Regards,
Neil

and Celine Dion - definitely.
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

OK, I'm going to retake the survey.

There are some other strange things about the survey, like comparing stereoscopic HMDs to LCD screens. People don't really think like that. I had to look up the price of an LCD screen on the internet before I could answer that question. And there was one question where there were 5 things we were supposed to rank 1 to 5, and it was unclear whether it wanted us to number them in order of preference, or rate each one individually.

You really should have included a question "Are you dependent on Nvidia (or support at the graphics card driver level) for one of your stereoscopic systems?", "Yes, No, or No but I only get half the resolution (or similar limitation) without graphics card driver level support."
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
Neil

Post by Neil »

The only question that needed ranking was question 16 which priorities the criteria for a good S-3D solution. 1 is first, 2 is second, three is third - like a race.

The rest is 1 to 5, with everything rated individually.

Regards,
Neil
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

And the question about spending money on performance upgrades only includes things performace related, right? It doesn't include more immersive input devices and things like that, right?
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Yeah. Stick to performance. We want to see how S-3D gamers upgrade their equipment relative to 2D gamers.

Regards,
Neil
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I signed in for the low budget S-3D gamer. I didn't do any upgrades in the last year, because I wait for the tipping point - and my Shutters aren't that bad afterall - except driver support. So the upgrade will be next year and migt include a display and a PC to run it...

However I think there are a lot of expencive rigs in the forum. I'm curious what the '2D Gamers' that participate have...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
xeromist
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xeromist »

Is there a deadline to complete the survey? Maybe I'm missing something but I can't find any detailed information on how the drawing will be conducted, when, etc. I want to pass the link along but I have no idea how long it's good for.
Neil

Post by Neil »

We are planning to put a formal press release out along with this information, but we wanted to get some details settled first.

Unofficially, preliminary results will be announced at the 3D Entertainment Summit in early December, but the survey will likely run until January 1st, 2009.

Regards,
Neil
xeromist
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xeromist »

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Feel free to get the word out any way you know how! It all helps - and thanks.

Regards,
Neil
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

LukePC1 wrote:I signed in for the low budget S-3D gamer.
Here too. I have a lot of money waiting to be spent on powerful gaming hardware from more than a year ago, but i can't buy a new computer due to nvidia's policy of not releasing drivers that support their own hardware fully. In that sense that survey's question is a bit biased.

In the same direction, the money I'll spent in hardware in the future is also somewhat biased as it's subjugated to this software requiriment. And I'm not sure if I will like to pay about 200 euros every year in drivers, as it looks like things are directed to. 'Real life' already has lots of periodical expenses. Really, I don't like periodical payments applied to software.

Also, the question about the technical features that are important on stereo-3D lacks 'Field of View'. As HMD users I think it's the number one priority. In general, I think that HMD's and the way they are used make us a differentiated group within this community. For example, I can't say 'no' to the questions about wearing 'glasses' for 3D gaming as HMD are the glasses and the display at the same time and any other 3D solution does not fulfill my needs... well, except projectors, maybe.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”