Shutter glass hack

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Shutter glass hack

Post by Okta »

http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/853 ... tereo-port

Not sure what this is achieving over a standard dongle but i didnt know Quake 2 had native stereo.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Quake II full source code was released many years ago (http://www.idsoftware.com/business/techdownloads/). Maybe someone took the code and added stereo 3D support.

EDIT : I posted before reading the article. Looks like stereo support was already built-in and it could be switched on with a console command.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

ALL games of that (DOS) era had native stereo. They also had head-tracking. They were full VR games if you were lucky enough to have a Forte (aka Vuzix/Icuiti) VFX1. Those were the days when they thought everyone would have a VR headset by now.

In those days they weren't trying to make an FPS as we think of it, they were trying to make a Virtual Reality experience, and they were just limited by hardware availability. These days hardware is available, but game developers are too lazy to care. If you travelled back in time and brought game developers from then to now, they would all support our favourite 3D solutions natively, along with Wiimotes, Novint Falcons, and all the other goodies that game developers of today ignore.

Part of the reason for that is that in those days there was no such thing as a driver. All hardware was supported at the lowest level in the game itself. So people had to learn how to talk to hardware in order to do anything. Now developers aren't taught to talk to hardware. The other part of the reason is that game companies were run by hackers rather than business people.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Every time I tried to talk about VR hardware at the lock-on/blackshark forums some users made fun of me. It's not only developers. It's just that there is virtually no market.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Its true, most gamers i talk to are more interested in spending huge dollars on "high quality" lcd monitors than any sort of immersion.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”