3D with contact lenses? Is it possible?

koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

3D with contact lenses? Is it possible?

Post by koshien »

Hi!
I was talking with some guys from an Italian forum about stereo-3D... this one guy came up with "I'm not going to wear glasses! Maybe with contact lenses :lol: "... I think he was joking, but it's actually a good idea...
Would it be possible?
I don't care about wearing 3D glasses, but since some folks seem to care...
Would it be possible to match up together polarized 3D and short-sight contact lenses?
Sorry if this turns out to be a stupid question :D , but it might not being so hopefully...
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

I would have thought contact lenses rotate, but I don't know. Maybe eyes are not spherical, and the contact lenses automatically rotate to a certain orientation.

But it could be a problem for polarisation.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

To correct astigmatism, you need lenses that keep a specific angle to the eye. To correct that with contact lenses, they uses weighted contact lenses.

I've never heard of polarized contact lenses.

I just read that tinted contact lenses exist so polarized contact lenses might not be that crazy.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Heh, "Rather then wear glasses I want something touching my eye", this is silly.

Weighted would probably work, but since theaters already use circular polarized DLP I don't think we even need to worry about the lens rotating, just use circular polarized contact lenses.

I wonder about the effect on the polarization from being coated in your tears and adhered to your eyeball.

More interesting technically would be shutter contact lenses, possibly powered and triggered via IR light?

Either way this person would rather touch their eyeball than wear glasses? Is it an issue of appearance?
If it is a physical problem with glasses on their head, maybe they need a viewer on a stick that they can hold up, or mount to a movable arm.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I happen to wear contacts and I have no idea what that guy was thinking. Contacts are way more hassle than glasses. Putting them in is major trouble unless you are used to it. Although I guess its possible maybe to do circular polarized contacts, I've never heard of it done. I don't really see the point anyway. If people don't want to wear glasses then contacts are certainly no help there.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

hmm noyt sure how well it would work for Linear Polarization.. the angle has to be precise.

I've never understood contacts... Sure, people say I need to get them all the time(I have glasses) but why should I care about what others think XD
koshien

Post by koshien »

Well, I guess that guy was joking.
But 3D contact lenses could be a cool thing for hard core gamers already wearing contact lenses for their eye defects.
If 3D comes to a standard, and 3D contact lenses can be useful both for short sighted people (better if hardcore gamers :lol: ) and to watch S-3D content at the same time... why not? :)
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Except 3D polarization is not always best to be worn outside and such ;)

So that would be an issue :)
koshien

Post by koshien »

I understand :)
Well, it turned out to be not that good idea :?
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

koshien wrote:Well, I guess that guy was joking.
But 3D contact lenses could be a cool thing for hard core gamers already wearing contact lenses for their eye defects.
If 3D comes to a standard, and 3D contact lenses can be useful both for short sighted people (better if hardcore gamers :lol: ) and to watch S-3D content at the same time... why not? :)
If you wear linear polarized glasses out you will see why, it is very weird because sometimes your eyes will see completely different things, I wouldn't recommend it.

Changing them just for 3D is too much as well. I don't know about Circular, I don't think I have ever seen a circular polarized filter.

I haven't had a chance to play with auto-stereoscopy, I heard it can have a fatiguing color spread, but I don't know.

Why does everybody have to belittle the glasses? Do they complain that they have to wear headphones to hear stereo sound? (if you want real stereo separation that is).

At least people are talking about 3D, I guess that is good. If you took that guy and put a pair of minimal polarized glasses on him and showed him his favorite game in 3D he would probably change his tune.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

http://www.invention.net/dudai.htm

no manufactured yet... good idea.
It is possible to use contact lenses with HMD for expanding of field of view. (Was used many years ago).
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Hornet wrote:http://www.invention.net/dudai.htm

no manufactured yet... good idea.
It is possible to use contact lenses with HMD for expanding of field of view. (Was used many years ago).
There is nothing said about usage with S-3D displays. Would it damage/hurt the patent if you create/invent them (new) for 3D?

I think it COULD work, but as I don't wear glasses usually I wouldn't try them. However if it was not much more expencive than normal contact lenses it could find a market - provided they work also for everyday life.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Re: 3D with contact lenses? Is it possible?

Post by Hornet »

But it is going too without contact lenses an it is active setup - of course.

http://www.mojevideo.sk/video/c447/zazm ... ia_3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TomKeller
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TomKeller »

Oh c'mon - not that clip again :roll: ! It was already discussed in this thread:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... and exposed as a hoax ;) . And you dig out this old thread for THAT?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Wow! Massive grave-dig, bro. And yes, its been discussed.
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

If the contact lenses allowed for very near viewing, then they may be viable for HMD use. The benefit would be that you could use a simple LCD display to create a HMD with a fairly large field of vision. Even even better, one of the upcoming bendable OLED displays to make a very wide field of vision. that could cover at least the full width of vision. If they were polarized, then they may work with a technology that allowed for passive 3D. To have that in a HMD which featured using a curved display, you would probably have to project. But, with the advent of the pico-projectors, that may be quite viable.

Joe Dunfee

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”