DIY 3D Holographic Autostereoscopic Screen

johnnyz
One Eyed Hopeful

DIY 3D Holographic Autostereoscopic Screen

Post by johnnyz »

Lately I’ve had a lot of time on my hand (thanks to the covid lockdown) and was hoping to build my own 3D holographic autostereoscopic screen for either my computer monitor or TV. I’m a total noob but I was inspired to build this after seeing the Looking Glass displays which allows for the shared VR experience without the need for a HMD (Looking Glass Factory · The World's Leading Holographic Display).

I checked out some DIY explanations on building it, by attaching lenticular lenses on top of the monitor: Lenticular Display Tutorial by Keyon Vafa, but the problem is that they all appear very pixelated and the image transitions moving left to right doesn't look natural.

Is anyone else interested in building your own Autostereoscopic display? Is there a way to build higher Res 3D autostereoscopic screens similar to the Looking Glass? I’ve also heard that the dpi of the screen need to align with the lenticular lens lpi? I'm new to this... any thoughts or advice on whether if this can be done? How did Looking Glass do it?

floph
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: DIY 3D Holographic Autostereoscopic Screen

Post by floph »

Interesting.
Do you know if these autostereoscopic displays work in games with 3D Vision support ?

Guig2000
Cross Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other

Re: DIY 3D Holographic Autostereoscopic Screen

Post by Guig2000 »

@floph I don't think any 3d vision display was based on interleaved column, so you will not be able to make an edid hack to force 3D vision to output this mode.
But if you're motivated enough, you can try to use iZ3D driver on windows 7 instead. But it may require an AMD card.

@johnnyz pixelation and aliasing is a normal behavior on a lenticular display as for a single stereoscopic point of view, half of the pixel columns are for one eye and half for the other. If you lenticular display have more views, the number of pixel per eye is even more divided, ie 8 view -> pixel number divided by 8*2=16 per eye.
What do you mean with "and the image transitions moving left to right doesn't look natural"? If you speak about your head placement, lenticular displays works only when your head is placed at some precises angle and at some right distance. If not, the left and right pictures are not separated and melt.
On a home made lenticular display, It may be harder to make it works on a big screen (if the screen is too big, it may be impossible to see simultaneously the stereoscopy on the the totality of the screen), but it may works better on curved screens if the user place itself on the center of the curve. This last statement is theoretical, it have to be tested.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”