More GDC 2011, ASUS 3D Notebook (No Glasses)

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

Two cool stories today.  First, Kris Roberts continues his coverage of GDC 2011.  Today, featured companies include Sony, Blitz Games Studios, DDD, iGO3D, and more.  There is also some discussion of Starcraft II and its 3D implementation through Nvidia's GeForce 3D Vision drivers.

Read full article...

cybereality

Re: More GDC 2011, ASUS 3D Notebook (No Glasses)

Post by cybereality »

I don't understand how they can have a variable lenticular screen. The press release clearly says it supports 2D and 3D at the same time and that text is readable. As far as I know, this is only possible with LCD parallax barriers. Did ASUS invent something new or is their PR department just clueless?

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: More GDC 2011, ASUS 3D Notebook (No Glasses)

Post by Fredz »

I suppose it's an electrically switchable lenticular lens (probably based on LC-filled polarized lenticular), those have existed for some years now (done by Philips in 2007). I don't think the lenticular lens can move else they would have invented something really new, which I seriously doubt since we are talking about Asus here, which is not known to have a strong R&D in 3D like Philips or Sharp.

I guess it's switchable to 2D or 3D, but since the camera tracks the eyes the content can be adapted to the position of the observer. It'll probably work only at a defined distance from the screen though, but you should be able to move parallel to it and keep the 3D effect.

Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

[caption id="attachment_15950" align="alignnone" width="360"]Sony PS3 GDC 2011 ExhibitSony PS3 GDC 2011 Exhibit[/caption]

Two cool stories today.  First, Kris Roberts continues his coverage of GDC 2011.  Today, featured companies include Sony, Blitz Games Studios, DDD, iGO3D, and more.  There is also some discussion of Starcraft II and its 3D implementation through Nvidia's GeForce 3D Vision drivers.

[caption id="attachment_15951" align="alignnone" width="360"]ASUS ROG G53ASUS ROG G53[/caption]

The second story is ASUS has started to demonstrate a glasses-free 3D notebook computer.  While MTBS has never been against glasses for at-home PC gaming, 3D notebooks could really benefit from auto-stereo technology because it's definitely more convenient and less cumbersome on the go.

Return to “MTBS News”