Damir Slogar Talks 3D Gaming at Discovery 2011

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

The Discovery 2011 recap continues!

Damir Slogar is the CEO of Big Blue Bubble, one of Ontario's leading game developers.  They boast a portfolio of over sixty games, and have been published by the likes of Namco Bandai, Electronic Arts, THQ Wireless, and more!
Read full article...

cybereality

Re: Damir Slogar Talks 3D Gaming at Discovery 2011

Post by cybereality »

Interesting talk. I thought he brought up some good points about issues with using 2D tricks in stereo 3D. But then he falls for the same pitfalls in his demo. But I guess its understandable. Its not like these mobile platforms can render volumetric fire and smoke in real-time. However, if developers were doing their own native render, they could even do some tricks unique to 3D. For example, having a billboard use a different texture in each eye, allowing for it to show a pre-rendered stereo 3D image. This could be even more convincing than a 2D billboard in most cases. And the answer for the crosshair: just don't show it. There's no crosshair in real-life, it will make it more realistic. I find in the games where I can turn the crosshair off (like Unreal Tournament) I can easily shoot without it, even getting headshots with a sniper rifle from across the map. The crosshair actually is a distraction and makes it *harder* to aim!

Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

The Discovery 2011 recap continues!

Big Blue Bubble logo

Damir Slogar is the CEO of Big Blue Bubble, one of Ontario's leading game developers.  They boast a portfolio of over sixty games, and have been published by the likes of Namco Bandai, Electronic Arts, THQ Wireless, and more!

Return to “MTBS News”