Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Glasses & Displays Announced!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by PressBot »

While Nvidia has done a great job of reintroducing their fit in stereoscopic 3D gaming since 2007, their glasses and core technology hasn’t been upgraded or changed in years.  Their software has kept up with the times, but the glasses…not so much.

Nvidia GeForce 3D Vision users can rejoice because the glasses are finally getting a refresh with bigger lenses, brighter image quality, and reduced crosstalk.  Well, they can sort-of rejoice, because this update needs a new monitor to get all the benefits.
Read full article...

cybereality

Re: Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Glasses & Displays Announced!

Post by cybereality »

This is cool, but too bad it can't work with existing displays.

Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by Synexious »

Engadget says it does.

Neil

Post by Neil »

It works with existing displays (backwards compatible), but it's the new display that is primarily responsible for the increased brightness (though the upgraded glasses timings help too).

Regards,
Neil

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well thats good, it would be annoying if Nvidia introduced totally incompatible hardware.

Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by Synexious »

What about 3D projectors?

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Aphradonis wrote:What about 3D projectors?
Good question, would be great if these worked with PJs. Hopefully some new beamers w/ HDMI 1.4a support.

tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia ... 13709.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

check out that clueless discrimination against sequential ,lmao
thats not true. 3d works by drawing two images simultaneously and the shutter glasses lets one eye see at a time back and forth rapidly tricking your eyes to see that image at a different location. Not what our eyes naturally do. I wouldn't recommend this for your eyes health. I could see some endused siezures coming out of this.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wow, are people really this dumb?
3D is lame and long term use will be bad for you especially young children. Your eyes aren't meant for it. The way your eyes, or mind rather, makes 3D happen in real life is by using shadows.

Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

cybereality wrote:Wow, are people really this dumb?
3D is lame and long term use will be bad for you especially young children. Your eyes aren't meant for it. The way your eyes, or mind rather, makes 3D happen in real life is by using shadows.

The_Nephilim
Certif-Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by The_Nephilim »

Well that is cool but not needeing new Monitors or projectors :(..

Looks like I am going to need a Upgrade come next year..

Where do those dumb people comefrom "3D IRL is made from shadows !!!!!""" Oh my .. I remember some other dummy said I guess they will make glasses for us to see in 3D all the time LOL!! umm I guess no one ever clued this clueless person that we do infact see in 3D all the time haha, it is just natural to have games and movies in 3D ..

I been 3D Gaming Since 2001 and I have yet to go into a seizure ;)

I probally have thousands of hours in 3D gaming too
Intel i7 9700K @ 4.8GHZ / MSI MPG Z390 Motherboard / G. SKILL 32GB 3200MHZ Ram / Asus 1080GTX / SoundBlaster Z / Samsung Odyssey + VR Headset / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I don't think the glasses are so different from the ones they're using today. Maybe they changed polarizer to a less dark one (cheaper are usually darker) but the technology is the same. It's well known that quite a number of other shutterglasses are brighter than the nvidia ones so they probably initially made a bad decision of materials.
The main thing is that displays now will have a brighter mode for 3d. Now i'm awaiting news that 120Hz won't be enough when brightness increase. :roll:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Likay: Well the screen itself it probably doing a special type of page-flipping into order to achieve the brighter image (in conjunction with the new glasses). Probably something like Samsung is doing, see here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monito ... html#sect0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

You could be right. However the point is actually that the lightboost technology magic is mostly performed by the display.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

its 30% , question if 30% comes from higher intensity burst and hold time is the same short (1-2ms), or 30% comes out of longer hold time (4-6ms). Wouldn't make stuff all that different though at this tech level. They still can't talk about temporal resolution really at this level, does not hold water.

Hope v3 won't take 3 years. They'd be dead in mobile with 3 year product cycless : P
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@tritosine5G: I think what they are doing is making the burst shorter and brighter (with black frame insertion, most likely, similar to Samsung). And then having the glasses open for a longer period. The current gen 3D Vision glasses actually stay totally black (both eyes shut) for most of the time, which is why they seem so dark. This is based on what I saw on Tom's Hardware:
Nvidia 3D LightBoost, a collection of display technologies that include an LED monitor backlight that pulses twice as brightly and increasing the amount of time that the shutter glasses remain open.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia ... 13709.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is another article that confirms what I thought:
Unfortunately NVIDIA is holding their cards close to their chest here when it comes to discussing how the technology operates. What we have managed to get confirmed is that 3D LightBoost is a monitor technology (not a glasses technology), and that NVIDIA is playing with the monitor backlight to achieve this. Specifically they’re shutting off the backlight entirely between frames, and then activating the backlight at over 100% brightness when they want to show a frame. In effect the backlight itself is acting as a shutter.

The significance of this change is that by modulating the backlight the shutters on the glasses themselves no longer need to be closed for as long a period of time. Currently NVIDIA needs to close the shutters relatively early to prevent stereo crosstalk – left and right images being seen in the wrong eyes – from being noticed and breaking the 3D illusion. The need to close the shutters so early is a particular quirk of LCD monitors, as the shutters need to be closed while the LCD crystals are moving to their new alignment and only opened once the crystals are near or at their new alignment, since crosstalk will occur long before the image settles. Or to put another way, by modulating the backlight LCD motion blur can be hidden, which is a second way to reduce stereo crosstalk.

The result of this is that the shutters on the glasses can be kept open longer, which improves the amount of environmental light that gets through the glasses. For the monitor itself, the increase in image brightness is achieved by overdriving the monitor’s backlight, producing an image brighter than the current crop of 3D monitors at full brightness. The amount of overdrive is going to depend on the attributes of the monitor being used, and more immediately NVIDIA still hasn’t fully explained the technical reason for why they can overdrive a backlight but only for short periods of time. In any case the combination of the two effects results in both the image on the monitor and the immediate environment being perceived as being brighter. Presumably this method could also be used to reduce overall stereo crosstalk (which still exists to some extent), but NVIDIA is not promoting it as such.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4966/nvid ... technology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dgrambo
One Eyed Hopeful
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other

Post by dgrambo »

Passive 3D is so much better than active.

Just ask any kid working at Best Buy.

Active display needs double the horsepower..

Active glasses need batteries or a USB leash. - Active glasses are expensive. - Active glasses are bulky. - Active glasses flash on and of in an alternating pattern as the screen does the opposite. - Active glasses add to the ghosting effect.

Passive glasses are none of the above. No headaches, lightweight, cheap and extremely effective. No ghosting, no sync issues, no need to recharge. Lightweight and easy to manufacture in cool custom form factors.

3D games and movies could be easily displayed in a field-interlaced format with no complicated packing requirements without the heavy processing overhead that is required by active display.

Why are we so stuck on active technology?

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That is not true for many reasons (unless you are being sarcastic, I'm not sure).

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: LCD shutter glasses

Post by Fredz »

You're basically saying nonsense, active and passive have their respective drawbacks and merits. Don't you think if passive was that good we would only find this technology by now and active would be dead ?
dgrambo wrote:Active display needs double the horsepower..
Wrong, the same horsepower is needed for both. You're not a 3D programmer are you ?
dgrambo wrote:Active glasses need batteries or a USB leash. - Active glasses are expensive. - Active glasses are bulky. - Active glasses flash on and of in an alternating pattern as the screen does the opposite.
True, although not right for the last one (flashes) for ZScreen/RDZ technology at home or for passive in cinemas, they actually use single projectors with ZScreen-like technology.
dgrambo wrote:Active glasses add to the ghosting effect.
Wrong. Independant tests have shown that active exhibits less ghosting than passive in cinemas (http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/ ... 011_day_4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Also you can compare DDD ghosting tests from many review sites and active is clearly superior to passive when using Plasma/DLP compared to FPR LCD displays or dual-projection.
dgrambo wrote:Passive glasses are none of the above. No headaches
Wrong, headaches are mostly related to the vergence-accommodation conflict or stereoscopic errors (divergence), which happens with any current stereoscopic technology.
dgrambo wrote:3D games and movies could be easily displayed in a field-interlaced format with no complicated packing requirements without the heavy processing overhead that is required by active display.
That's plainly wrong, you still need to render two views of the same scene, be it for active or passive. And you forget to say that the field-interlaced format basically halves the resolution, making 1080p equivalent to 540p with all the jaggies, moiré and unreadble small texts problems.
dgrambo wrote:Why are we so stuck on active technology?
Because for now it's the only way to have full HD S3D and low (with Plasma TV) to quasi non-existant ghosting (with DLP TV/projectors). For LCD displays, active and passive are quite equivalent for now, except for the much narrower angles of vision and reduced resolution with passive.

tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Recently Mitsubishi 7800 is said to be the best commercial 3D ,active 120hz per eye ( good luck doing that with rebadged LCD screens they can't,while DLP can do 240hz/eye too with even better glasses, and increasingly better light source) and that's not passive, but I agree nvidia is behind the curve, compared to 7800 for example.

Ps3 was also behind the curve when it came out ( RSX onboard graphics vs. 8800gt), now it does 3D , just not very well, same with passive 3d and hdmi 1.4 ^^

billqs
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by billqs »

dgrambo wrote:Passive 3D is so much better than active.

Just ask any kid working at Best Buy.

Active display needs double the horsepower..

Active glasses need batteries or a USB leash. - Active glasses are expensive. - Active glasses are bulky. - Active glasses flash on and of in an alternating pattern as the screen does the opposite. - Active glasses add to the ghosting effect.

Passive glasses are none of the above. No headaches, lightweight, cheap and extremely effective. No ghosting, no sync issues, no need to recharge. Lightweight and easy to manufacture in cool custom form factors.

3D games and movies could be easily displayed in a field-interlaced format with no complicated packing requirements without the heavy processing overhead that is required by active display.

Why are we so stuck on active technology?
You're kidding, right? I just got home from the theater watching Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas in the passive Technicolor over/under system with extremely dim image and huge ghosting. I came home and played The Green Hornet on my ACER 5360 and even with having to resync the left and right (my biggest gripe against DLP Link) I got a bright picture with absolutely no ghosting or crosstalk.

I'm not opposed to a passive technology done right, but at least for projection there isn't an easy "out of the box" way to make it happen for a home theater. Also, the cost of an expensive silver screen for proper playing of passive polarized offsets the cost of glasses especially as some glasses are starting to fall in price. Also you would need 2 screens due to hotspotting or noticing the silver screen's "grain".

As for televisions, I've seen the new passive technology and it does look really good for 3d, but it does so by compromising 2d. The every other line polarizing creates an "interlaced" look on the display that to my mind would be a non-starter since most content is 2D and unlike a projector where I have one for 2d and one for 3d you're hardly likely to take the TV off the wall and place up another flatscreen when watching your 2D shows.

Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

While Nvidia has done a great job of reintroducing their fit in stereoscopic 3D gaming since 2007, their glasses and core technology hasn’t been upgraded or changed in years.  Their software has kept up with the times, but the glasses…not so much.

Nvidia GeForce 3D Vision 2

Nvidia GeForce 3D Vision users can rejoice because the glasses are finally getting a refresh with bigger lenses, brighter image quality, and reduced crosstalk.  Well, they can sort-of rejoice, because this update needs a new monitor to get all the benefits.

Return to “MTBS News”