Nintendo 3DS Firmware Out!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by PressBot »

Ahah!  The talk has finally been converted to action, and the Nintendo 3DS firmware update has gone live.  For those wondering what the big deal is, the new firmware gives 3DS users the ability to record 10 minute 3D videos (instead of just taking pictures).  It also features new StreetPass puzzles, and a new dungeon for StreetPass RPG-Lite.
Read full article...

LeeN
Cross Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Re: Nintendo 3DS Firmware Out!

Post by LeeN »

The video file appears to be a multilayer AVI. When I open it in VLC it opens 2 separate video windows. I will have to try it in the triple-D media player, to see if it supports the format, when I get a chance. It seems like it is going to be a pain to convert to and from that format :/

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice.

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I've found the 3DS cameras lacking to the point of being virtually pointless. Nice idea, but putting in cameras equivalent to those in phones almost a decade ago suddenly takes away any potential they have... even for the VR games, they aren't really good enough.
The Street pass is actually a pretty cool idea. It's fun to see if you've passed anyone else that is carrying a 3DS with them in the street. And the games give those achievement Whor... ummm... hunters something fun to do.
As for the rest of the features in this patch, I find not much really worth writing about.
I only got my 3DS recently and am still playing through zelda and have to say that I'm loving it. The 3D works wonderfully with the brightly coloured game. I've also played splinter cell, and I just wonder why they made the maximum depth so shallow. I would have thought that the point of the slider is so that you can make the 3D go from barely visible through to headache inducing, not from not on through to barely there... I just don't get it.
From the 1st party titles, I am now convinced that nintendo do actually get 3D, but they 3rd party developers don't. Nintendo titles (I've see Mario, Zelda, Starfox) all actually have a reasonable depth (I would prefer the option to go a bit further, maybe another 25%), but the others may as well be played flat.
One thing to note with the 3DS is that the 3d works really well for the nintendo games partly BECAUSE of the dolls house effect that you get with low separation. All of the characters appear like little toys running round in the virtual world, and you can tell where they are in relation to the world really well. It DOES NOT (and don't think it's intended to) give an immersion of any kind, so developers need to think about what they're going to create for this.

I seem to have gone slightly off topic here.... sorry.

Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Andrew Oliver, CTO of Blitz Games Studios at E3 3DS Launch Event

Ahah!  The talk has finally been converted to action, and the Nintendo 3DS firmware update has gone live.  For those wondering what the big deal is, the new firmware gives 3DS users the ability to record 10 minute 3D videos (instead of just taking pictures).  It also features new StreetPass puzzles, and a new dungeon for StreetPass RPG-Lite.

Return to “MTBS News”