Star Wars Phantom Menace: Dark Side it is Not?

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by PressBot »

While everyone is patiently waiting for MTBS' maintenance cycle, we'd be curious to know if anyone went to see Phantom Menace in 3D, and what they thought of it?  Was George Lucas able to work his conversion magic, or is the franchise forever plunged into the 3D darkside?
Read full article...

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: LCD shutter glasses

Re: Star Wars Phantom Menace: Dark Side it is Not?

Post by Fredz »

Here's another question worth answering. In this modern day of YouTube 3D, and committed 3D websites and press...where the heck is the official 3D trailer?
Here :

Star Wars Episode 1 in 3d official teaser (English).mp4 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkyYTjtnkfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Star Wars Episode 1 in 3d official teaser in Russian :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ephvwHFmows" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gisabun
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other

Post by gisabun »

Lucas plans to release one episode a year. So don't expect the original trilogy 3D box set until after 2017. By that time, Lucas has probably released the 6 movies again in various other formats again - tacking on a scene, more tweaking, etc. :lol:

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I haven't been to see this one since it is probably my least favorite of them all. Really don't see why they didn't release them in the same order as the originals were released. I guess the grainy film is harder to covert and also, maybe they are experimenting on these ones so they can have the process perfected for the good movies? Keeping my fingers crossed here.
Anyone from the forums here seen it and can let me know if it's worth considering?

Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by Synexious »

Most of the movie is in 2D (I kept looking over my glasses, and saw no separation at all), with some scenes having extremely minimal depth. There is so little depth that the movie should not legally be allowed to be marketed as 3D. It is totally unacceptable. This is not a matter of opinion. Some people hate the prequels, others think they're mediocre, and still others think they're great. I thought TPM was great in 1999, when I was nine. Now, I'm not impressed, though I recognize its importance as background for the original trilogy. Riding on the success of the originals, while undesirable, is not illegal. But what George Lucas and Namit Malhotra have done should seriously be illegal. Again, the majority of the movie, objectively speaking, is not three-dimensional. It's not that it's bad; the 3D, by and large, just isn't there, by any reasonable standard. Tron: Legacy included some 2D scenes, but that was okay, since the film admits this. LucasFilm and Prime Focus need to be sued, because they lied.

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, the preview was "meh" and it looks like the movie is even worse. Really sad for the prospects of 3D conversion in general.

I wonder if Titanic will be any better (or will Cameron roll his name in the dung).

Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Phantom Menace Poster

While everyone is patiently waiting for MTBS' maintenance cycle, we'd be curious to know if anyone went to see Phantom Menace in 3D, and what they thought of it?  Was George Lucas able to work his conversion magic, or is the franchise forever plunged into the 3D darkside?

Return to “MTBS News”