Doom 3 Getting 3D Treatment...Again

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by Neil »

Doom 3 BFG Edition

Some cool news for Doom fans!  Doom 3 is getting re-released on XBOX 360 and PS3 platforms with stereoscopic 3D support.  While tenured stereoscopic 3D gamers were enamored by Doom 3 ages ago, as long as this refresh isn't based on some crappy 2D+Depth cheat, this could mark a serious awakening to what stereoscopic 3D gaming is really capable of.  For the love of all things evil, there is going to be a serious butt-kicking if Bethesda Softworks hides the convergence controls!

While the press release states that it will also be released on PC, our analysis is that the only way the stereoscopic 3D mode will work is if they directly output the left/right image through a fixed standard as modern DDD and Nvidia stereoscopic 3D drivers don't yet have OpenGL support in 3D.

Read full article...

cybereality

Re: Doom 3 Getting 3D Treatment...Again

Post by cybereality »

Well the video shows side-by-side working, and I assume it would be just as easy to support other frame-compatible methods (interlaced, checkerboard). And they also demoed with shutter glasses, but it doesn't look like Nvidia. Not sure really how they did this (quad-buffer OpenGL maybe?). Hopefully they have found a solution that's easy for gamers to use.

ceashure
Two Eyed Hopeful
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Post by ceashure »

I wonder if they used PFD_STEREO/PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER with SetPixelFormat in the Windows API. That's the only thing I can think of, but I'm not even sure that works anymore.

lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

Guess someone saw my posts about resurrecting W98, just to play a handful of OpenGL games. Sure, steal the limelight! Lay waste all my hours of reading/researching! See if I care!:) Now port all of the other OpenGL games.... I DARE YA!!!!!! (oh and, PS3 versions please.... my X360 is the older, sans HDMI version....so.... just sayin). All kidding aside... what timing!

Earmack
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Earmack »

Very good news, beat again DOOM 3 with HD remeastering + 3D....I think it can be too much scary for me ;)

Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Doom 3 BFG Edition Some cool news for Doom fans!  Doom 3 is getting re-released on XBOX 360 and PS3 platforms with stereoscopic 3D support.  While tenured stereoscopic 3D gamers were enamored by Doom 3 ages ago, as long as this refresh isn't based on some crappy 2D+Depth cheat, this could mark a serious awakening to what stereoscopic 3D gaming is really capable of.  For the love of all things evil, there is going to be a serious butt-kicking if Bethesda Softworks hides the convergence controls! While the press release states that it will also be released on PC, our ...

Return to “MTBS News”