Don't Date Robots! Use AR Instead.

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by Neil »

[youtube-hd]www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jpWiTVR0GA[/youtube-hd]

Ok, we all know where this is eventually going.  We can't ascertain the source (because we don't speak Japanese), but this is an awkward date with Hatsune Miku in an Augmented Reality environment.  The system works by capturing the real environment with Kinect cameras, feeding the interaction through the computer, cross-processing with Hatsune Miku's rendering, and outputting the joint experience through a Wrap 920VR  HMD.

You know...if we bath, brush our hair, and move out of our parents' basements, I'm sure real girls aren't that hard to find!

Read full article...

brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Don't Date Robots! Use AR Instead.

Post by brantlew »

Not necessarily what I would do with it, but there are a lot of impressive technologies coming together there. I hope they can address the latency when the Kinect 2 comes out because this type of thing has a lot of potential.

- I can imagine combining satellite imagery and GPS for character tracking, and Kinect-technology for AR rendering to create a sort of AR laser-tag.

- Person-to-person communication could be greatly enhanced with a sort of AR-Skype that projected each party into the other parties real environment - sort of like the hologram phones in Star Wars.

- I'm not sure what the point of virtual companions in a real-world setting would be. Simply visiting them in the virtual world seems equivalent except at least then it's a private experience. Communicating with fake entities in the public real world setting seems borderline crazy to me.

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

DON"T TELL THE JAPANESE NOT TO DATE ROBOTS!!!!!

JohnF30
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JohnF30 »

That's exactly how I envision the future, except with ultra realistic 3d models of strippers giving you lapdances while you're in bed

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

JohnF30 wrote:That's exactly how I envision the future, except with ultra realistic 3d models of strippers giving you lapdances while you're in bed
+1

brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Well if we're headed down this path...then I think a likely scenario would involve a form of phone s*x with one or both of the participants using an HMD and some sort of erogenous network haptic device. The s*x worker could be anybody just sitting at their home just like webcam and chat girls do, but they would have some sort of motion capture system and the control end of the remote haptic device. At the receiving end, the s*x worker would be displayed in VR in whatever form was pleasing. And via remote control the haptic device would be used to "complete the transaction". All of this is actually possible with current technology and I'm surprised it hasn't moved in that direction yet. You wanna talk about a "killer app"? If VR equipment was marketed this way, then the industry would explode! I think it would be hilarious to watch lawmakers wrestle with the slippery legality of this. At what point does remote sensing and telepresence become prostitution ??

;)

Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok, we all know where this is eventually going.  We can't ascertain the source (because we don't speak Japanese), but this is an awkward date with Hatsune Miku in an Augmented Reality environment.  The system works by capturing the real environment with Kinect cameras, feeding the interaction through the computer, cross-processing with Hatsune Miku's rendering, and outputting the joint experience through a Wrap 920VR  HMD.   You know…if we bath, brush our hair, and move out of our parents' basements, I'm sure real girls aren't that hard to find!

Return to “MTBS News”