Oculus Rift Kickstarter LAUNCHED

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by Neil »

Palmer Luckey's Oculus Rift Kickstarter Campaign is officially launched and already features endorsements by the likes of Epic Games, Valve, Id Software (of course), Gaikai, and more.  The first SDKs will be based on Unity and Unreal Engine.  Something to remember is that this Kickstarter campaign isn't for launching a consumer product, it's for getting Oculus developer kits in the hands of programmers and game creators.

Backing options range from $10 to $5,000+ to meet just about every budget.  Oculus Rift aside, Palmer and his team did a great job with making their presentations look super glossy and polished.  They've already raised over $45,000 US on their first day, and a Kickstarter success is a realistic expectation.

Of course, Palmer Luckey and all the related Oculus Excitement can be found in our discussion forums.  Have fun, and good luck to all!

Read full article...

DigiMagic
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter LAUNCHED

Post by DigiMagic »

Hmmh, compared to Panasonic's active 3D glasses, it's about 10 times heavier, 1/2 resolution, 3 times more expensive... ok of course it's different and it's not fair to compare only some of the features instead of whole product, but still it doesn't look like optimal choice...

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

DigiMagic wrote:Hmmh, compared to Panasonic's active 3D glasses, it's about 10 times heavier, 1/2 resolution, 3 times more expensive... ok of course it's different and it's not fair to compare only some of the features instead of whole product, but still it doesn't look like optimal choice...
HA HA HA HA... Really, aren't you missing the point of this? It's VR, not looking at a TV with a little depth.

DigiMagic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DigiMagic »

I stand corrected... It's only 1/4 of full HD resolution, and requires some special preprocessing of graphics due to extensive internal optical distortions. Also, no HDMI 1.4 input and may not accept any video other than games at all (at least not without distortions).

android78, I agree VR is different than some generalized viewing of 3D contents. I would contribute to kickstarting similar project if it's at least compatible with current technology (i.e. blu-rays).

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

DigiMagic wrote:I stand corrected... It's only 1/4 of full HD resolution, and requires some special preprocessing of graphics due to extensive internal optical distortions. Also, no HDMI 1.4 input and may not accept any video other than games at all (at least not without distortions).

android78, I agree VR is different than some generalized viewing of 3D contents. I would contribute to kickstarting similar project if it's at least compatible with current technology (i.e. blu-rays).
I think that the TV is probably best for non-interactive media. John Carmack made some really good points regarding wearable displays for film viewing in an interview recently. When using a wearable display, because the scene doesn't move proportional to your head movements, you get a weird and somewhat uncomfortable disconnect. From the HMDs that I've used, it works well if you keep your head really still, but just weird if you move at all. The only way to get around this is to use head tracking to keep the picture in the same spot, as if you're watching a fixed display (TV). In short, if you want to watch a film, you're better off watching a TV.
I think that HDMI 1.4 will be great in a future, consumer version of the product. I love standards like that. But I don't think that a developer kit really needs this. The main attraction of this product is that it will demonstrate what is possible. The gaming press all seemed to be really harsh with regards to reviews of 3D movies when they were first released (sometimes for good reason), yet every single reviewer of the early rift prototype have been really wowed by it, so I think it's something you may have to use (or understand better) before you get it.

Remember that this is not a consumer product at this stage, but a development kit so that developers (and excited enthusiasts) can get games to start playing with what is possible in their games.

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Oculus Rift Palmer Luckey's Oculus Rift Kickstarter Campaign is officially launched and already features endorsements by the likes of Epic Games, Valve, Id Software (of course), Gaikai, and more.  The first SDKs will be based on Unity and Unreal Engine.  Something to remember is that this Kickstarter campaign isn't for launching a consumer product, it's for getting Oculus developer kits in the hands of programmers and game creators.   Backing options range from $10 to $5,000+ to meet just about every budget.  Oculus Rift aside, Palmer and his team did a great job with making their presentations look super glossy and polished.  They've ...

Return to “MTBS News”