Why PC is a Wasted Opportunity

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by Neil »

[stimg='iGO3D Battlefield 3 Competition at Fan Expo' url=http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... CF1136.jpg]http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... CF1136.jpg[/stimg]
During our iGO3D Battlefield 3 competition at Fan Expo, we were expecting the leading issue preventing participation would have been the 3D glasses, an unwillingness to try 3D out for fear of headaches, or something else.  The most common excuse was that gamers were completely unfamiliar with gaming on PC!  It had nothing to do with the 3D.  It was just a fear of gaming badly because they had little experience with a keyboard and mouse.

It's a sad state of affairs because all these passionate gamers don't know what they are missing!  Today, we put together an editorial talking about the PC market, how console fits in, and what this means (or what it should mean) for the development of future PC games.  While it's a bit out there, and we know droves of people will disagree with what we share, it's a good exercise to ask ourselves the tough questions.  Check it out and be sure to share your own input and comments.

Read full article...

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Why PC is a Wasted Opportunity

Post by android78 »

I don't want to turn this into a PC vs. console discussion, but I tend to agree with you about the PC being a missed opportunity. There seems to be a big divide between the PC players and the console players and I think it comes down to the following:
1. Simplicity of interface - To be competitive (or at least be able to have a decent experience) on games for PC it seems that you must be adept with the keyboard/mouse controls, which aren't designed from the ground up purely for gaming. I'm not saying that you can't use the gamepad for PC games, but it is inefficient compared to keyboard and mouse which leaves you at a huge disadvantage. In a lot of ways, I think this is a failing on both sides since there should be some way to have a console controller that is more efficient then the PC and gamepad that has been designed for gaming from the ground up.
2. Simplicity of configuration - PCs are a complex beast and you have to take into consideration the hardware/OS/configuration requirements for games. To a lot of people (myself included) this really is a huge turn off. The obvious up side of this for PCs is that you are able to get the absolute best experience if you are willing to put in time and effort to get the system right.
3. Perception of gamer type - If the general public think about PC gamers, the image of the WOW 'nerd' or some hardcore COD kid (you know the ones who can't communicate without every second word being an expletive or something about your mother) locked away in a dark basement is hard to ignore. If you think of console gamer, it is more a lounge room activity which can be enjoyed by people in a fairly casual environment, even when playing hard core games. You just have to look at the popularity of face book and the amount of time people spend grooming their public social appearance to realize why this could be more important then any other point.

Ultimately, what I would like to see in the future is for everyone to get along. And for this to happen, what we need is:
1. Further development of interfaces - There must be a better control then the keyboard and mouse that doesn't require you to be sitting at a desk, but is more accurate then the joypad. If they develop this, then both PC and console users could be familiar with the same control scheme, removing this barrier.
2. Once the above is achieved, we can all move our PC into the lounge room and hook them up to the TV. Giving the best of both worlds.
3. Have Rift compatibility implementation in all games both on console and PC. This also requires a common user friendly control scheme. I think the Razer Hydra is currently closest to a good control fit for both lounge room/couch and/or HMD use.

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

During our iGO3D Battlefield 3 competition at Fan Expo, we were expecting the leading issue preventing participation would have been the 3D glasses, an unwillingness to try 3D out for fear of headaches, or something else.  The most common excuse was that gamers were completely unfamiliar with gaming on PC!  It had nothing to do with the 3D.  It was just a fear of gaming badly because they had little experience with a keyboard and mouse. It's a sad state of affairs because all these passionate gamers don't know what they are missing!  Today, we put together an editorial talking about ...

Return to “MTBS News”