Microsoft / Intel HMD Analysis

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Microsoft / Intel HMD Analysis

Post by Neil »

Tom's Hardware ran a tremendous summary article of what Microsoft Holographic and Intel have planned for the not too distant future for virtual and mixed reality.

For us, the most important factors include:
  • The most basic models feature 1200X1080 per eye (1440 X 1440 high end).
  • Device refresh rate capabilities range from 60Hz to 120Hz.
  • Varying choice of game controller, orientational, or positionally tracked hand device.
  • Price point beginning at $300 USD.
  • All models feature inside out tracking (i.e. camera based, no external reference points needed)
Read full article...

Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: LCD shutter glasses

Re: Microsoft / Intel HMD Analysis

Post by Dom »

This article has good points for a buying decision in the future. If this headset costs 500 or 600 for the high end model then in Canadian dollars its going to be 800 bucks. You can get the HTC vive for 1100 CAN with gift card deals of 100 or 200 in the Microsoft Store.

Fov has a lot to do with a buying decision too for Vr. If Vr gloves can do the same thing as a 6 dof controller then I'll be happy with some Vr gloves if the price is right and games work with them, like Vr pool.

The only reason I would be looking at getting another headset is to have 6 dof controller support, unless I can get that separately.

Even this basic headset would be worth it if you can get good games on it or use that XR mixed reality software which maybe useful for productivity. The headset would need to be real comfy to wear.

If the htc vive and oculus rift go on sale then they will sell a ton more units. If they can sell their headsets for 500 bucks popularity will heighten. You can get a Vr computer for 500 or 600 bucks now almost the same price as a console system. Most people who buy prebuilt computers can get a custom built Vr computer for 500 - 600 dollars NOW! Easy

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Re: Microsoft / Intel HMD Analysis

Post by Neil »

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pc-req ... 33220.html

AHAH! Tom's Hardware has a new segment talking about required PC performance on the Microsoft platform. Looks like we were right about the requirements and the variability.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “MTBS News”