Wireless VR HMD For PC

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Wireless VR HMD For PC

Post by Neil »

Last week, we gave mention to a new VR HMD prototype we are going to be adding Vireio Perception support to.  As proud as we are, that was the smaller story.

While the brand name will remain anonymous for now (they are a very reputable brand), we have been given the go ahead to share these specs of the early wireless prototype featuring positional tracking. So why is this a big deal, you ask? Multiple brands have been promoting the importance of room scale virtual reality. The catch is with the wires following you wherever you go, it's a distraction - maybe even a risk if you aren't careful and accidentally trip or a wire gets caught.Read more: Wireless VR HMD For PC
Read full article...

Neil

Re: Wireless VR HMD For PC

Post by Neil »

Just a heads-up that there was a typo at the end which didn't make it clear that the battery pack is for the HMD versus being connected to the HMD and the PC. The unit is completely wireless.

Regards,
Neil

peteo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by peteo »

Wow! didn't think I would see any thing wireless this soon. 120hz!! Wonder the what the latency is. 120hz it has to be ridiculously low. Probably needs to be LOS, since any thing in the way of the wireless signal most likely wood drop the speed. Man I hope they come out with an add on kit that works with any HMD.

ORParga
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ORParga »

First of all, congrats for the archivement. The results of a long and hard work of investiment, programing and developement. Whe I read this I thought it was refer to another smartphone- based HMD. But this Headset is advanced to our time. I'm future al VR headsets will loose their cable limitations.

I got a lot of QUestions; Hardware requeriments, software compativility, but one of them is over all: the price..¿ have you thought about Kickstarter?

Neil

Post by Neil »

ORParga wrote:First of all, congrats for the archivement. The results of a long and hard work of investiment, programing and developement. Whe I read this I thought it was refer to another smartphone- based HMD. But this Headset is advanced to our time. I'm future al VR headsets will loose their cable limitations.

I got a lot of QUestions; Hardware requeriments, software compativility, but one of them is over all: the price..¿ have you thought about Kickstarter?

It's not my place to answer these questions; the hardware isn't ours. :D

It's just that we are getting early development access to make Vireio Perception compatible with this. It's a big brand attached; it's not a start-up in the traditional sense.

I did receive more information on the wireless support, but I need clearance to reveal it.

Regards,
Neil

barroudjo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by barroudjo »

Wow ! This is great news ! I'd be curious to see how much latency is added by going wireless.

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Hmmm.. lemme see
A small part of the blacked out logo remained- twaz of the red color

let's see what red color logos there are:

Nintendo is there as a plausible suspect - since the color of their logo is red and as the article said - "they are a very reputable brand" - so not some new/unheard of company

let's do some googling is Nintendo plans to do VR:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/2/108932 ... -vr-return

(article from last month - February 2nd 2016)
Nintendo is reportedly exploring a return to virtual reality, with the company's president Tatsumi Kimishima describing VR as "interesting technology" in a recent earnings calls. According to a report from the Financial Times, the Japanese firm says it's researching virtual reality but has no specific plans to launch any products any time soon. Nintendo famously released one of the first ever commercial VR devices in 1995, but the Virtual Boy (above) was a significant failure, with consumers turned off by the console's high price, monochrome display, and its tendency to cause headaches and nausea.

"Nintendo has more tricks up its sleeve before it turns to virtual reality"

yup, so it does

CONFIRMED - NINTENDO WILL DO WIRELESS VR!!!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Neil

Post by Neil »

Yuriy, you are the king of hype, and that's why we love you.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “MTBS News”