MTBS Unveils VR Boost Add-On For Vireio 2.0!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

MTBS Unveils VR Boost Add-On For Vireio 2.0!

Post by Neil »

[youtube-hd]www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuvY0X8Cm7g[/youtube-hd]

Vireio Perception are open source VR drivers that let you take existing AAA games and play them in VR using solutions like the Oculus Rift, castAR, and future products to come.

November 28th, Vireio Perception 2.0's launch day, is inching closer and closer and...CLOSER!  We figured now would be a good time to show another feature that is going to make Vireio Perception stand out from the rest.

"VR Boost" is a freeware add-on, and we firmly believe it will redefine the expectations people will have from virtual reality drivers.  We'l let the video do the talking. ;=)

Yes, we still have even MORE features to reveal.

Read full article...

FR3D
Cross Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Re: MTBS Unveils VR Boost Add-On For Vireio 2.0!

Post by FR3D »

Very well done ! :)

Are the water issues solved too ?
Whats about parallax mapping ?
Is the ENB mod possible ?

I can't wait ! :!:

best regards FR3D

Neil

Post by Neil »

The water should be fine (though we can easily improve those shaders as we discover new water textures).

There is still a pesky bug with shadows, but I don't think we will have enough time to fix before launch - we'll see.

I don't know about ENB Mod yet. You are welcome to try (we just don't have enough time to test).

Regards,
Neil

baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Post by baggyg »

This looks truly playable in VR which may sound not a lot but I have yet to find a solution where I don't feel like it is a compromised experience. I am very excited to give this a try. I think that everyone will accept small flaws in the current state but the amount of improvements is nothing short of fantastic.

Quick question. How readable is the font size (I haven't tried the video in my rift)? Do you find it easily legible at that size?

Neil

Post by Neil »

Yes, the text is readable. However, you have full control to adjust the size of the HUD to personal taste, and there are HUD stereoscopic 3D depth controls too.

The only part I don't like is reading books in Skyrim. They look terrible...though they are hard to read in 2D too (horribly boring literature!).

Regards,
Neil

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by GeraldT »

That is so awesome - thanks for this great work and double thanks for doing it all for free! You guys need to setup a donation box :)

baggyg

Post by baggyg »

GeraldT wrote:That is so awesome - thanks for this great work and double thanks for doing it all for free! You guys need to setup a donation box :)
This was mentioned over on reddit. There definitely needs to be some way of supporting this development. I am happy to make a donation. I would also be happy to gift games to the dev guys or provide testing / VR boost profiles. I think it's been great to see the team get this far. I would hate to see the project stall in the long term for any reason.

Hopefully Neil and the team can get together and provide us with the best options for support. Only 2 days to go :woot

Lark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lark »

This is very exciting. I've been looking for an excuse to start a fresh save in skyrim.

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome news.

PD333
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PD333 »

Big congrats on VR Boost, it looks to be impressive. I've got a question about 0:23 in the video is mentions "Inability to separate mouse control from head tracking", which sounds like it's now been solved. Does this mean head tracking has been decoupled from movement (so you are not forced to move in the direction you are looking)? Or, does it simply mean that you can move the mouse cursor so it is not centered in the view. I ask because the games/demos that force you to move in the direction you are looking (which could be at a 45 degree angle, etc) tend to bring on VR sickness for me. Thanks and congratulations again! I can't wait to download :)

Smith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Smith »

Separating the mouse from the camera is HUGE...that will help enable independent gun control when the Delta 6 comes out. GREAT WORK GUYS!! My suggestions for Rift users:
1. Lower the texture resolution - reduces grain on the low res rift
2. Increase all of your draw distances - decreases jittery experience
3. Slow down the default run/walk speeds a bit - more immersive and less nauseating!
4. Disable gore - I had psychotic dreams of murder after playing Fallout 3 for a few hours...this stuff is seriously realistic and seriously desensitizing - no joke!

baggyg

Post by baggyg »

PD333 wrote:Big congrats on VR Boost, it looks to be impressive. I've got a question about 0:23 in the video is mentions "Inability to separate mouse control from head tracking", which sounds like it's now been solved. Does this mean head tracking has been decoupled from movement (so you are not forced to move in the direction you are looking)? Or, does it simply mean that you can move the mouse cursor so it is not centered in the view. I ask because the games/demos that force you to move in the direction you are looking (which could be at a 45 degree angle, etc) tend to bring on VR sickness for me. Thanks and congratulations again! I can't wait to download :)
I don't believe this is what that means. I agree it would be huge if this was the case but it has been stated various times by various people this is next to impossible since it would introduce graphical glitches since the engine is not actually rendering "non-aim" visible elements. My understand is that head tracking is almost like a separate input. This allows to turn on gamepad support (which would usually stop head tracking working). It is a more direct manipulation of the scene rather than just emulating a mouse which leads to better latency. I also guess it means that your headtracking wont be moving the mouse cursor (on menus) etc, although I could be wrong on this part. Let's not get carried away with an assumption.

baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Smith wrote: 4. Disable gore - I had psychotic dreams of murder after playing Fallout 3 for a few hours...this stuff is seriously realistic and seriously desensitizing - no joke!
I know what you mean - I saw a super mutant in town the other day and just wanted to punch him in the face.

But seriously things like this should always be a players prerogative. No two people experience and are affected by stimuli the same way.

PD333
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PD333 »

baggyg wrote: Let's not get carried away with an assumption.
I totally agree. That's why I was seeking clarification. The statement I was referring to could be misinterpreted.

baggyg

Post by baggyg »

PD333 wrote:
baggyg wrote: Let's not get carried away with an assumption.
I totally agree. That's why I was seeking clarification. The statement I was referring to could be misinterpreted.
Fair enough.

Just tested new version on few games. The head tracking when using VRBoost directly moves the in-game camera rather than moving the mouse then the camera. The latency of this is now minimal and actually excellent what the guys have managed to do. It also means head tracking will work regardless of whether you are using mouse / controller.

It does not mean aim is separate from look however.

PD333
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PD333 »

Thanks for the heads-up :)

Return to “MTBS News”