Is Nvidia Entering the HMD Market?

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Is Nvidia Entering the HMD Market?

Post by Neil »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwCwtBxZM7g

Just when you thought there was only one big player in the modern HMD space, it's becoming clear that we are indeed moving towards a diversified market.  Nvidia has revealed details of a new HMD prototype they are developing that is based on a light field display.  In addition to being a lot more compact than what has been previously marketed, sharp images are depicted from out-of-focus elements by synthesizing light fields corresponding to virtual objects within a viewer's natural accommodation range.

Think of it as a series of adjustments that compensate according to what is being digitally looked at so you always have a crisp image in 3D form without the discomfort of accommodation-convergence conflict (i.e. a conflict between your eyes, the physical screen, and the depth your eyes are perceiving). The above video and attached paper give a clearer description.

Read full article...

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Is Nvidia Entering the HMD Market?

Post by geekmaster »

We can possibly make a DIY version, using some interesting details here:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... 589#p35577
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... 589#p35589

Likay
Petrif-Eyed
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by Likay »

Still just research only. I hope they stay away since i'm not looking forward to yet another "great" proprietary f***-up by nvidia.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

iarehuuman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iarehuuman »

This technology looks very promising, however with new entries to the HMD market I fear there will be many tradeoffs when choosing which HMD to buy. (I.E. One has more support but less quality, where other has extreme quality and is cheaper but only a few mainstream games support it.)

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

geekmaster wrote:We can possibly make a DIY version, using some interesting details here:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... 589#p35577
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... 589#p35589
Here's something cool to do. Look 'through' this picture so that your left eye is looking through one of the lenses to the left of where the right eye is looking and you can actualy see the scene depth:
http://cameramaker.se/images/LightField.jpg

WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I must be missing something, don't see anything special really :(

WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

This looks great - am thinking that since it has variable depth of field, could it possibly be used to alleviate eye strain, by changing the focal point? Or is the focal point always the same, and its really the perceived imagery that changes?

One issue is that I imagine the resolution will be very low (basing this on the Lytro lightfield camera). That means that this tech probably wont be appearing in HMD's any time soon, especially given the increase in horsepower required to run it. However, give it time...

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

@WiredEarp - The light field display will have multiple focal points. Basically, the lenses provide a series of 'rays' of light with direction and colour, rather then a plane of scattered light coming from a fixed plane.
I'm thinking that combining one of these with a light field camera could actually work well too. Got me thinking.

WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I'm thinking that combining one of these with a light field camera could actually work well too
Good idea! Would avoid most of the high processing horsepower requirements.

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Also... My understanding is that basically the same can be achieved with a high maginfication lens and an aperture that sits half way between the source and the lens, so that each section of the lens only captures the light that is coming from a certain direction. I think this requires more processing though.

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

The plenoptiic microlens array effect for HMD use may be similar to pinhole eyeglasses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6waA9b9kDo

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

geekmaster wrote:The plenoptiic microlens array effect for HMD use may be similar to pinhole eyeglasses:
I think it's somewhat different. The pinhole effect is because only light from a single direction can pass through the hole, so you don't actually have to focus the light. The microlens array as shown by nvidia will direct the light from a pixel in a certain direction. For the one source, more then one pixel may light up, giving the same light coming from several angles. This means that you also have more then a single focal plane too. You still have to focus though.

EDIT: I'm sure that geekmaster already knows this, so maybe I misunderstood what he meant. Is that right?

comham
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by comham »

I was going to make a thread about this, asking whether there was any other interesting VR-relevant stuff coming out of this years SIGGRAPH, but I'm a layperson and I wouldn't want to mess up a professional forum.

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

android78 wrote:
geekmaster wrote:The plenoptiic microlens array effect for HMD use may be similar to pinhole eyeglasses:
I think it's somewhat different. ... I'm sure that geekmaster already knows this, so maybe I misunderstood what he meant. Is that right?
I know they are different. I was just thinking pinhole arrays may be worth experimenting with in HMD designs, if a pinhole can focus on a display close to the eye. Different optics but perhaps similar usage? That experiment is way down on my "To Do" list though...

EDIT: Ok. Simple experiment: I just poked a pinhole in a piece of aluminum foil, and viewed this page through it with my nose almost touching the LCD display. I could see focused letters, and when moving closer I could see individual sub-pixels (though a bit blurred). My experiment showed that pinhole lens arrays may indeed work in place of aspheric lenses in a tiny lightweight HMD. Not sure about any plenoptic effects though. That would need more experiments (a pinhole array aligned to an array of tiny shifted images). I still think my idea of using pinhole arrays in an HMD may be useful for something.

WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ g33kmaster: I have a set of those 'pinhole' glasses that are supposed to improve your vision (probably will, if you wear them regularly, the concept seems ok). However, the big problem is they reduce brightness greatly. Not sure if that could be solveable by a brighter backlight or similar though...

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I was thinking about the use of pinhole lens sheet for a light field display, and one problem is that a hole through a thin sheet wouldn't limit the angle of light passing through it, so you would see some of the next lens' group of pixels through it at a certain angle. What I think you need is either a panel with reasonable thickness and holes drilled in it to make it more lens like. One thought I had was that you could get transparency sheet and print it black with white (see through) dots on it, placing one of these on each side of a thin piece of glass or plastic and lined up on both sides, which should give a little more limit to the directionality of the light.
Too much thinking. I wonder what the maximum pixel size would be to create a reasonable display would be. The HMZ has tiny pixels, but I wonder if something like an iphone would be ok for testing this out.
My thinking is that the lenses would need it be in the range of about 2mm apart (or closer), so that you would see multiple of them when looking any direction. This would give a group of pixels of about 27*27 per lens.

FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

@android78

Good idea with the transparency sheet printing; it reminds me of the DIY parallax barrier people used to do.

FMPrime
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FMPrime »

Return to “MTBS News”