SFVR Update, Mobile 3D Movie News!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

SFVR Update, Mobile 3D Movie News!

Post by Neil »

We are FINALLY back in town with regular Internet access. The San Francisco VR Meetup was great, and MTBS has several video presentations to share from the event. MTBS has never been to a VR meetup before, and it was really cool to share and discuss ideas amongst like-minded individuals who actually play with this stuff.

Combined with Q&A, each presentation is lengthy, so we are going to start publishing them next week.

Read full article...

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: SFVR Update, Mobile 3D Movie News!

Post by Fredz »

Duh, releasing a 3D movie distribution service for mobile and failing to support the only two that are available (LG Optimus 3D & HTC Evo 3D). No, seriously ?

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Fredz wrote:Duh, releasing a 3D movie distribution service for mobile and failing to support the only two that are available (LG Optimus 3D & HTC Evo 3D). No, seriously ?
It's new times. These things happens constantly. Just get used to it. :lol:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Isn't the LG Optimus 3D and HTC Evo 3D discontinued? I would venture that's the reason they didn't chase down those markets.

If I'm not mistaken, it may actually work for these devices if you upgrade the firmware to version 4 or later of Android. LG did release an Ice Cream Sandwich firmware update, so this may open up the compatibility once installed. Someone out there want to try it and share your findings?

Regards,
Neil

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Discontinued or not, they are the only 3D mobile phones available at this time and I find it quite odd (to say the least) to not support them when announcing a 3D movie distribution service for mobile.

That's the same situation for the Fuji W3, no further support by the maker doesn't mean than no one is using them, don't you think ?

I own a HTC Evo 3D running Android 4.0.3, and despite their claim of unofficialy supporting it starting with Android 4.0.X, it's not the case. The app does run but is unable to display videos in 3D, although there are already other apps by amateurs able to do that.

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

The LG Thrill (The US version of the Optimus 3D) is still available on ATT. Might not be in production, but they are still selling them.

EmerJency
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EmerJency »

Hmmm.. I was able to play the 3D trailers on my Evo 3D with the app. Funny though, I had to try three before I could see the video playing. After that, all the video played without issue.

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Nice, which version of Android have you installed ?

I tried several times, killed the application and retried, rebooted, but it still doesn't work. At first launch it always shows this message : "Sorry, no Evo3D permissions". Seems it's an in-app message and not related to HTC since I didn't find any occurrence of it on the Web.

I really don't see any why playing 3D videos wouldn't work, there is a very clear documentation about it on HTCdev that I already used to convert some videos to the format supported by my Evo 3D. They must be doing something wrong on their side.

My initial message was probably a bit harsh, but I really fail to understand how a company that has been specialized in 3D for so long can't do what amateurs are easily able to do in a matter of minutes. No wonder if S3D is slowly dying in the years to come with such a support...

EmerJency
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EmerJency »

Just the last Rogers ICS OTA I got last year. I don't think there has been any updates for my phone for a while.

EJ

Return to “MTBS News”