3D photography: Is there still hope for 3D TV’s stillborn cousin?

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

3D photography: Is there still hope for 3D TV’s stillborn cousin?

Post by metalqueen »

By Sebastian Anthony

Here’s an interesting question for you: Where are all the 3D digital cameras and photos? There are 3D TVs, 3D movies, 3D games, 3D printers, Kinect — but, when it comes to 3D still cameras, the market is almost completely barren. Sure, there’s a handful of 3D point-and-shoot cameras, but they’re not exactly flying off the shelves — but more importantly, the 3D smartphone market basically died a few months after it was created by the LG Optimus 3D.

Read the whole story here.

Read full article...
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: LCD shutter glasses

Re: 3D photography: Is there still hope for 3D TV’s stillbor

Post by BOLL »

I bought the FujiFilm W3 and have greatly enjoyed it, I get spurred to take 3D photos now and again.

My main problem is that the pictures are not very easy to share, which would be the entire point of photos nowadays. Lytro with their service have made it very easy to share pictures, but when I registered for Fujifilm's service I could not even upload images without downscaling them first, which was a show-stopper for me.

In addition their included software could not open a library from a network drive so I cannot even browse my pictures off of my NAS. In the end I use the free StereoPhoto Maker to both edit and browse my pictures :/ Optimally I would love support by Adobe's Lightroom.

So yeah, I love me 3D photos, have been waiting for something akin to a stereo DSLR/mirrorless, but for that to be successful there sure needs to be more focus on support and services >_>

Oh, and I guess I should read the full article too, will do so now, haha :P Came here straight from the forum...

greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

Does anyone here know of any useful books that would help me create 3d photos for browsing in the oculus rift? I know of a program called Vr Player (from this forum) that accepts images as input, but the creation process is kinda difficult if you don't have a 3d camera but only a single camera. One needs to build a beam splitter, or create a rig that can mount 2 cameras.

There are many instructables and hacked together articles on the net, but are there any semi-technical yet introductory books on the topic that anyone knows of for a hobbyist? What are the particular problems with using the rift for this application?

I know of one major problem: field of view and distortion, but not sure how to correct for it at all. There are tons of great free photos on flickr and it would be cool to view them inside VR player in side by side format with the appropriate offset to simulate 3d.

If that is possible...

greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

note to self: try this

http://www.scalari.net/2008/04/22/gener ... n-mapping/

(because I won't be getting a rift until the commercial version releases, so I may want an archived copy somewhere)

Return to “MTBS Newswire”