Check Out The Augmented Reality Ideas!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Check Out The Augmented Reality Ideas!

Post by Neil »

While the past year has marked a major craze for VR technologies like the Oculus Rift, the potential of augmented reality is grabbing hold of a lot of imaginations as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEDpdtan1tM

IEEE and Epson recently hosted a contest for students to come up with exciting ideas and share them online via YouTube video. $16,000 in scholarship money is up for grabs, and we look forward to seeing who the winners are.

Read full article...

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Re: Check Out The Augmented Reality Ideas!

Post by GeraldT »

Pretty much the most standard use ever - how many games actually do that already?

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by PalmerTech »

The main problem with this submission is that the Moverio hardware is not capable of doing what he wants to do. It has no motion tracking system, no camera to view the AR markers, and no way to connect to external devices that can do either of those things.

Neil

Post by Neil »

PalmerTech wrote:The main problem with this submission is that the Moverio hardware is not capable of doing what he wants to do. It has no motion tracking system, no camera to view the AR markers, and no way to connect to external devices that can do either of those things.

Everybody knows that the Moverio glasses are not equipped to do AR without some fancy hacking and webcam add-ons: http://scopear.com/ (sample of AR Moverio in action)

The purpose of the contest was to come up with ideas for the next generation of Moverio and AR, and I think it's really cool that students invested their time to come up with some great ideas and put these videos together.

A few of these students are going to be showing their Oculus Rift ideas to some tier one press on Friday.

Regards,
Neil

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Neil I am all for people going out and doing revolutionary stuff. But the video above is the YouTube equivalent to the "I have great game idea" posts on forums from people that state in the second sentence "... I'm not a programmer (artist/musician/person who can contribute anything but ideas) ...".

There is zero new content in that video. I love the basic idea and I liked to toy with my AR cards on the PS Vita. But they evolved NOTHING. Just gave examples of how it can be used that have been discussed on forums for ages.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here

Neil

Post by Neil »

We are debating two separate things. Palmer's remark was about the hardware itself, and that's a non-issue for this contest.

As for the AR, there were multiple submissions. I showed this one because I enjoyed their sense of humor and it's a practical application. Here is another one:

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lo2ACv ... -&index=12[/youtube-hd]

There are several to go through, and they are linked to from the article.

Regards,
Neil

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

okay, I was only talking about the one video you used as an example

I personally think AR will first come in smartphones and much later with HMDs. But seeing the ideas is certainly interesting (as long as there are ideas - the first one does not qualify for that imo).
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here

Return to “MTBS News”