Is Frostbite and Battlefield Getting Rifted?

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Is Frostbite and Battlefield Getting Rifted?

Post by Neil »

It's obvious that the independent game developers see the light with the Oculus Rift and the close proximity we are to getting affordable, practical, and effective VR experiences in the home. In contrast, it's always a challenge to get the AAA game developers to take a passionate interest and adopt brand new technologies unless you have the right people at the helm. VR is in luck, because Electronic Arts has just the right people.

We first got wind of this in our discussion forums when "VietNOM" posted an intern job posting by EA's DICE. Fortunately, since EA is an S3DGA member, we have the home team advantage of getting down to the heart of the VR matter...

Read full article...

cerulianbaloo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Is Frostbite and Battlefield Getting Rifted?

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Excellent to get some confirmation from one of the main muckety mucks over there. DICE makes some of the best engines out there, some of the best performance and scaling I've seen, and that's across most of their games over the years. I hope they treat VR right and implement it well, my hope is they will make an experience tailored for VR, not just simply adding support for an existing title. Of course I wouldn't object to BF4 support in addition to a full VR title either ;)

norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

Very great new. I go to share the link on Facebook

greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

This is great news. Maybe in 3-5 years we will see some triple A titles come come down the pipe built with the oculus rift. Doom 4 will be rifted, but that game has been in development for awhile now. I somehow found a blog of a former team member for Doom 4 that was responsible for map making whom was no longer working on the project, guess his part was done.

Anyway, EA has a great next gen engine, so who knows? Maybe the next console refresh will include rift support from xbox? I think sony will come up with their own solution if they go down the VR rabbit hole. Probably still to risky, but they will be looking for ways to extend the life cycle in 4 or 5 years.

Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

Some people think that DICE = EA = Bad, but DICE has been around for over 20 years and it wasn't until the last few years they were bought by EA. And even since then EA has left them largely independent in their game development.

At heart, they are still just a bunch of computer geeks who loves cool things, I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

vietNOM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vietNOM »

Even if just experimental stages it is great they are looking into it :D and nice lil tidbit about the internal community having 4 rifts on order. good read!

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by GeraldT »

Sounds awesome - I love to play Battlefield 3 in 3DVision and so it might be an ideal candidate for the Rift ... oh how much i would love to replay the game with the Rift (but I think the risk of PTSD might be an issue).
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here

MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Very cool news! I'm glad that some of the biggest developers out there are taking serious interest in the Rift (or at least seriously considering it for now). If the Rift is as good as the press and some of the early devs make it out to be, then it's going to take off like a wild fire, and the new VR revolution will be at our front door faster than anyone would have ever imagined! :D

Return to “MTBS News”