Grey Zone Warfare game

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
alteredstate
One Eyed Hopeful

Grey Zone Warfare game

Post by alteredstate »

Hello world. I just found this resource so i'm a newb with FreePIE.

I play Star Citizen with a Tobi Head/Eye tracker & it works great. It adds such a massive immersive aspect to the game.. i could not live without it now! being able to look around at all the detail is great.

I have been playing another game recently called Grey Zone Warfare.
This title is all about moving quietly, listening, looking around... then moving again.. head on a swivel.
I just figured out by pressing your middle mouse button in, you can free-look. So without moving your gun, or silhouette you can look around by moving just your head.
Tobii has no support for this game currently.

I asked ChatGPT how i might use my Tobii with Grey Zone & it said:

1. Download and install FreePIE.

2. Script the input emulation. You would write a script in FreePIE to detect head movement from the Tobii tracker and translate it into a middle mouse button press. Here’s a simple example of what the script might look like:

if tobii.headPose.x > some_threshold:
mouse.middleButton = True
else:
mouse.middleButton = False

-although i'm impressed that it forwarded me toward this resource, i think it's missing some things.
Has anybody else mapped a "free-look" option into a FPS game like this?
Jabberwock
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Grey Zone Warfare game

Post by Jabberwock »

It is not entirely clear what you mean by 'mapped a free-look option'. Can you describe specifically what you want to accomplish?
alteredstate
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alteredstate »

Sure, while depressing the middle mouse wheel/button, when you move the mouse around this moves your head in-game. When you release the middle button, the mouse goes back to changing your aim or direction. often this is called free-look or mouse-look
Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock »

I know what freelook is, what I do not know is what exactly you want to accomplish and with what means. Your answer does not clear this up much... You want Tobii EyeX to work as a mouse in the game that does not support it (i.e. to replace mouse)? You want Tobii to work as freelook only and still keep using mouse? Again, without a specific description what you want nobody will be able to help you.
alteredstate
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alteredstate »

i want.... the mouse-look option to map to tobii's head tracking.

thats it.

if Grey Zone was supported by default i would not be here eh?
Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock »

You can 'map' Tobii to mouse (and I think there is already such an option in Tobii software), but then it will replace your mouse completely. You cannot have the game to use Tobii as a mouse for freelook and regular mouse for normal movements at the same time, if it has not been designed that way, as it will not be able to distinguish between the regular mouse and Tobii. With some effort you could have switching (i.e. when you press a button, you use Tobii as a mouse and when you release it, you use your regular mouse), but I cannot know whether this is what you are after, as you refuse to describe in detail what you want.

Return to “FreePIE”