TV Industry Needs a Standard for 3D Glasses -- Now

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by metalqueen »

by Jeff Bertolucci

After months of buzz, 3D television has officially arrived. Panasonic on Wednesday will launch its new series of 3D-enabled HDTVs at Best Buy, a move that's part of a united industry effort to bring three-dimensional entertainment to your living room.

Samsung may already be selling 3D TVs -- and if not, it will shortly. Sony is gearing up to launch its 3D-ready sets as well, and other vendors are sure to follow. 3D Blu-ray players are arriving too, as are channels of 3D programming from ESPN, Discovery, DirecTV, and other content providers.

Not So Fast, Four Eyes

So 3D is ready for its close up . . . right? Well, maybe not. While the industry players have hammered out technical standards that allow many 3D-ready components to work together -- any 3D Blu-ray player should work with any 3D television, for instance -- they haven't established one for the new type of 3D glasses that work with the sets.
Read the whole story here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/191052/t ... s_now.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

taz291819
Cross Eyed!

Re: TV Industry Needs a Standard for 3D Glasses -- Now

Post by taz291819 »

Too late on this go around. With built-in emitters, and no VESA ports, the cheapest part of the 3D experience (the glasses) may be the downfall.

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

What is sad is there already exists a VESA standard for many years to do this. Why are companies abandoning it?

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

cybereality wrote:What is sad is there already exists a VESA standard
Well, the VESA standard is a very simple protocol for wired shutter glasses (and wireless emitters) - it does not solve the problem of a common wireless protocol.
Why are companies abandoning it?
Because they want to sell you their own accessories at a premium and do not want some cheap CRT-era glasses to spoil the sales of their own accessor; because they don't want cheap CRT-era glasses to ruin your experience on a LCD TV, where mismatched polarization angle can decrease the brightness and contrast; because the VESA port has been used by the built-in emitter; to avoid the confusion caused by Nvidia decision to block their 3D Vision glasses for standalone use; because they can't even implement 1080p60 stereo in native full-resolution... because sh.t happens you know... There are lot of "valid reasons", no need to even make excuses.

At least Sony 3DTVs have no built-in emitters on most stereo 3D-capable models, so hopefully they do feature the VESA Stereo port and not some proprietary interface, so your hypothetical friends could all use the same brand of glasses/emitters so they can organize 3D parties.

Likay
Petrif-Eyed
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by Likay »

Companies are ripping the thing with 3d apart in their greedyness.... Now we soon have a compabilityhell... Not exactly what the birth of 3d needs. :(
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

DmitryKo wrote: At least Sony 3DTVs have no built-in emitters on most stereo 3D-capable models, so hopefully they do feature the VESA Stereo port and not some proprietary interface
No proprietary interface for Sony? I won't try to set myself up to be disappointed :) Sony does eventually catch on but it usually takes them a few years (e.g. they finally start supporting SD/SDHC in their digital cameras this year)

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

ssiu wrote:No proprietary interface for Sony? I won't try to set myself up to be disappointed :)
Well, from the look of the TMR-BR100 transmitter, it most likely does attach itself to the front of the TV with some proprietary plug.

http://www.sony.jp/bravia/products/TMR-BR100/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (in Japanese)

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The more I am learning the more I feel we were better off before this latest wave of 3D HDTVs.

ssiu

Post by ssiu »

Since the OEMs price their glasses so high, perhaps a 3rd party may be able to sell glasses that are compatible with multiple brands yet still cheaper (say, $99 to begin with)?

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Technically, LG, Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic are not OEMs - they are "brands" or "VAR" (value-added resellers); the OEMs are the companies who really design and/or build the generic hardware which the "brands" or "VARs" re-brand and sell as an their own product, though it is in fact an OEM product.

As for multi-protocol solutions, that would only be possible if the branded glasses used some form of open standard, or a proprietary standaed that is free for licensing to third parties. I'd imagine the OEMs have already filed a bunch of patents to prevent copying their proprietary protocol.

I'm afraid the inter-brand compatibility issue will have to be researched on a case-by-case basis. If LG, Samsung etc. simply re-brand some OEM glasses, there is a chance that similar third party glasses will work. However, I'd imagine that most OEMs do not sell directly their products to end users, so it won't be possible to get the glasses much cheaper.

Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: LCD shutter glasses

Post by Dom »

Hi as always brand new electronics that come out are going to cost more and have almost beta type style and funciality. Once folks buy them like family's and find out that their 5000 dollars tv system and glasses can't hook to their computer for a 3d home movie or slideshow they will be writing letters or calling the support lines in masses. Also once people buy these new tv's and are not satisfied with them maybe more than to many will be returning them with the return question of "why it does not work right and I forgot I don't have this plug or my xbox 360 does not show high def and so on. Anyways when all these tv's are on sale like half off for black friday or similar then the time will be right to buy but if you find yourself paying 2000 more than at a sale its your own fault. Even the glasses will go on sale too 300 down to 50 dollars.

Also there is going to be a certain model of tv from one of the companies that will definitly be compatable with all the glasses and players like pc's, blu-ray and emitters. Those companies are just not releasing any technical specs for a tv that is made 9 months from now. I heard that someone said 3d is going to be in all tvs from now on so that only means no premium or only less features and connectors including 3d wifi tv's
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Likay
Petrif-Eyed
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by Likay »

cybereality wrote:The more I am learning the more I feel we were better off before this latest wave of 3D HDTVs.
Then we're two... :(
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

From PCMag article: 3D Glasses - The problem and a solution

Basically, they say Xpand X103 series will interpret 3rd-party signals from IR emitters like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and Nvidia 3D Vision; this may indicate that they are either the OEM provider for these brands, as I said above, or they struck a cross-licensing deal with RealD, who is said to be another OEM, so they will be able to make compatible glasses. I'm unsure what to make of 3D Vision compatibility though, you typically don't game on the PC with two players at once.

taz291819
Cross Eyed!

Post by taz291819 »

DmitryKo wrote:From PCMag article: 3D Glasses - The problem and a solution

Basically, they say Xpand X103 series will interpret 3rd-party signals from IR emitters like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and Nvidia 3D Vision; this may indicate that they are either the OEM provider for these brands, as I said above, or they struck a cross-licensing deal with RealD, who is said to be another OEM, so they will be able to make compatible glasses. I'm unsure what to make of 3D Vision compatibility though, you typically don't game on the PC with two players at once.
Regarding 3D Vision, since the X103s would be compatible, this means people wouldn't have to wear the nvidia glasses for gaming, and switch to another brand for cable/satellite 3D. Plus, I imagine the X103s are better than the nvidia glasses.

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Xpand has one solution, and thats cool, but you are really trading one proprietary standard for just a bunch of proprietary standards. You see, instead of being stuck with just Panasonic glasses, now we are stuck with only this one model from Xpand. Its not like I can buy a pair of Panasonic shutter glasses and use them on my Samsung 3DTV (which is what I want). Most common users will probably buy glasses of the brand of their TV (especially if it comes with one or two they will buy the rest from the same brand) so this doesn't solve the problem. People will still have incompatible glasses. However if it seems everyone is simply buying the Xpand glasses (or other 3rd party universals) maybe the CE brands will wiseup.

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

taz291819 wrote:Regarding 3D Vision, since the X103s would be compatible, this means people wouldn't have to wear the nvidia glasses for gaming, and switch to another brand for cable/satellite 3D.
No. You'd still have to buy 3D Vision since you have to use the Nvidia emitter, and there is no other way to acquire it except bying a full kit. The same is for Sony who are the only 3D TV maker to offer the emitter separately from the glasses, since only one single top model features built-in emitter; most other brands seem to have built-in emitters across the entire model range.

Jadentheman

Post by Jadentheman »

Who would have thought glasses would ruin everything!!! This why I advocate polarized sets. And we need more 3D content asap like now!!!

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well hopefully the people that do buy 3D sets will be impressed enough to stick with it through all the growing pains.

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

I guess it's like asking for a industry standard on universal dirt-bags for vacuum cleaners :)

Return to “MTBS Newswire”