Read the original here: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-201 ... 15049.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;No 3D For Initial 'Avatar' DVD Release -News Corp COO
by Nat Worden
NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--News Corp. (NWS, NWSA) Chief Operating Officer Chase Carey said this year's initial DVD release of "Avatar," the company's recent film hit, will not be in 3D.
The box office success of the science-fiction film epic directed by James Cameron has raised hopes in Hollywood that 3D movies will lift the industry's financial fortunes, but Carey said the market for 3D home entertainment is not developed enough yet for a 3D DVD release.
"The market is not there in the short-term," said Carey, though he said a 3D version of "Avatar" could be released sometime in the future.
"It does provide us with another cut at the window," said Carey.
DVD sales, the film industry's most profitable source of revenue, have been declining amid the rise of Internet film pirating, low-cost rentals and digital downloads.
Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- 3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
- Posts: 1981
- Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:31 pm
- Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.