Sony's Blu-ray players do 3D in 1080p even with HDMI 1.3

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by metalqueen »

Thanks to winlonghorn for this story!!
by Richard Lawler

More than a few commenters were confused to see Sony's first 3D Blu-ray players sporting HDMI 1.3 outputs when they were announced recently. Rumors circled that we would see some sort of lower res, even "3D-Lite," experience (similar to the quality of DirecTV's side by side compression) as a result of a lack of bandwidth in the connector. We went straight to the source to find out what buyers can expect from the BDP-S470, BDP-S570 and other hardware when they receive those MVC encoded discs later this year. Luckily, Sony's Greg belloni has responded and informed us that will definitely not be the case:
Read the whole story here: http://hd.engadget.com/2010/02/16/sonys ... -hdmi-1-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Sony's Blu-ray players do 3D in 1080p even with HDMI 1.3

Post by winlonghorn »

No problem. :) I just figured everyone would like the good news. :)

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

What good news? These players are essentially v1.3.99 since they fully support HMDI 3D - older stereo displays will still be unable to work with them, and not because of bandwidth issues in HDMI 1.3, but because they need to support HDMI 3D as well.

eric3dee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eric3dee »

I have been on the edge of my seat lately dying to know how Sony's 3D Bluray and PS3 might support my older "3D-ready" Mitsubishi DLP. It uses HDMI 1.3a and I have recently been enjoying the Avatar and Invincible Tiger games on it. Any clue if this confirms support or if it in fact does not if some sort of converter/hack might soon become available to support the tech?? I'd love for a Samsung or Mitsubishi rep to visit these forums and let us know what is up (though I realize they may very well be in the dark on this too :/ )

ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

eric3dee wrote:I have been on the edge of my seat lately dying to know how Sony's 3D Bluray and PS3 might support my older "3D-ready" Mitsubishi DLP. It uses HDMI 1.3a and I have recently been enjoying the Avatar and Invincible Tiger games on it. Any clue if this confirms support or if it in fact does not if some sort of converter/hack might soon become available to support the tech?? I'd love for a Samsung or Mitsubishi rep to visit these forums and let us know what is up (though I realize they may very well be in the dark on this too :/ )
Mitsubishi will sell a converter to make it work; see for example http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/mits ... th-blu-ra/

(Be glad you have a Mitsubishi; Samsung on the other hand doesn't plan to support their old 3D-Ready TVs.)

taz291819
Cross Eyed!

Post by taz291819 »

ssiu wrote:
eric3dee wrote:I have been on the edge of my seat lately dying to know how Sony's 3D Bluray and PS3 might support my older "3D-ready" Mitsubishi DLP. It uses HDMI 1.3a and I have recently been enjoying the Avatar and Invincible Tiger games on it. Any clue if this confirms support or if it in fact does not if some sort of converter/hack might soon become available to support the tech?? I'd love for a Samsung or Mitsubishi rep to visit these forums and let us know what is up (though I realize they may very well be in the dark on this too :/ )
Mitsubishi will sell a converter to make it work; see for example http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/mits ... th-blu-ra/

(Be glad you have a Mitsubishi; Samsung on the other hand doesn't plan to support their old 3D-Ready TVs.)
They both use identical TI chips, the Mits converter should work just fine with Samsung displays.

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

taz291819 wrote:They both use identical TI chips, the Mits converter should work just fine with Samsung displays.
Would this include Samsung 720p 3D Ready plasmas, which feature non CEA-861-standard native resolution of 1360x768? I don't think so.

eric3dee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eric3dee »

ssiu wrote: Mitsubishi will sell a converter to make it work; see for example http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/mits ... th-blu-ra/

ssiu- you just made my week :) So glad to hear this news!

taz291819
Cross Eyed!

Post by taz291819 »

DmitryKo wrote:
taz291819 wrote:They both use identical TI chips, the Mits converter should work just fine with Samsung displays.
Would this include Samsung 720p 3D Ready plasmas, which feature non CEA-861-standard native resolution of 1360x768? I don't think so.
I don't think so either.

winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by winlonghorn »

DmitryKo wrote:What good news? These players are essentially v1.3.99 since they fully support HMDI 3D - older stereo displays will still be unable to work with them, and not because of bandwidth issues in HDMI 1.3, but because they need to support HDMI 3D as well.
We have no idea whether or not they will allow the older displays yet lol. Sorry for being excited about technology advancing a little bit. geez lol. I just wish that they would have timed it a bit better so that everyone would buy the newer TVs. I know that I will be buying the new Samsung 3D display in the spring, but I am still disappointed that they timed it wrong. :(

dreamingawake
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dreamingawake »

I'm pretty sure one could just play an ISO of a 3d blue ray (provided
you've purchased it first of course) with a computer and Samsung
3d ready plasma over HDMI 1.3 I don't see why not :D So it doesn't
really matter if the older Samsung Plasmas work with the new 3d blue
ray players, as there will still be ways to make those 'older' t.v's usable :D

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

winlonghorn wrote:We have no idea whether or not they will allow the older displays yet
Surely Sony will take anything to support these older non-standrard 3D TVs from Samsung and Mitsubishi, their competitors, and will not require you to buy a new Sony 3D TV for $3000. I can see that. (Sarcasm).

Return to “MTBS Newswire”