First Samsung 3D HDTVs available for pre-order

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

First Samsung 3D HDTVs available for pre-order

Post by metalqueen »

First Samsung 3D HDTVs available for pre-order on Amazon.com
by Sean Portnoy

The good news from Samsung if you are interesting in 3D TVs: The company’s first models will be available in a couple of weeks, and aren’t priced in the stratosphere compared to its usual offerings. The bad news: The new sets aren’t what you’d necessarily call cheap.

Online retailers are already posting details about the new models, which comprise the C7000 line of 240Hz LED-based LCDs. The 46-inch UN46C7000 is available for pre-order at Amazon.com for $2,599.99 with a release date of February 26. Also available on the same day is the 55-inch UN55C7000 for $3,299.99. There’s also a 40-inch set in the series, but neither Amazon nor other retailers have it available yet. The prices are nowhere near the magic $1,000 price point necessary for mainstream success, but there doesn’t seem to be a huge price premium given the prices for Samsung’s non-3D 240Hz LED sets.

Read the whole story here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/home-theater/?p=2690" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: First Samsung 3D HDTVs available for pre-order

Post by DmitryKo »

Samsung UN40B7000 MSRP US $2199, Amazon $1215
Samsung UN40C7000 Amazon $?,???

Samsung UN46B7000 MSRP US $2699, Amazon $1415
Samsung UN46C7000 Amazon US $2,599.99

Samsung UN55B7000 MSRP US $3499, Amazon $1805
Samsung UN55C7000 Amazon US $3,299.99

I'd think these Amazon prices are probably MSRP prices or very close, and will wind down with time, so I see no price premuim at all, especially as these new models feature 3D and 240 Hz interpolation not present in earlier models.

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other

Post by Freke1 »

Will be fun to hear how they are regarding ghosting and input lag.

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Prices sound a bit more realistic and surely will come down with time. I wonder how LED compares to Plasma (which is supposed to be the best for 3D I hear).

winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by winlonghorn »

cybereality wrote:Prices sound a bit more realistic and surely will come down with time. I wonder how LED compares to Plasma (which is supposed to be the best for 3D I hear).
I just bought their 2D LED tv and I can tell you that LED is quite equal to plasma in almost every aspect. However, with my next school refund, I will be selling the 2D version to buy the new 3D one. That is for sure! It will be great to be 3D ready in my living room. :)

craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by craylon »

hmm

I was hoping for prices closer to their standard models.
If I compare the 2 acer projectors h5360 and its non 3d counterpart the difference is around 100$ so I'm wondering if its really that pricey to upgrade an existing model to s3d capabilities. Also IMHO at a pricerange of 1.5k+ they could put in some 150$ shutter glasses to make it a ready to go package deal...

Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

cybereality wrote:Prices sound a bit more realistic and surely will come down with time. I wonder how LED compares to Plasma (which is supposed to be the best for 3D I hear).

LED? there's no such thing as an LED HDTV. they're al LCD's.
So, refresh rate will be up to how fast the LCD panel is.

those LED TV's are using LED back lighting instead of the traditional lamps.

My guess is plasma will probably result in the faster response time images, but we'll see.

winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by winlonghorn »

Kamus wrote:

LED? there's no such thing as an LED HDTV. they're al LCD's.
So, refresh rate will be up to how fast the LCD panel is.

those LED TV's are using LED back lighting instead of the traditional lamps.

My guess is plasma will probably result in the faster response time images, but we'll see.
I am fairly sure that is what they meant lol. Regardless of whether or not it is the backlight and still LCD makes no difference. There is a clear improvement with the technology! ;)

Kimber
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kimber »

Does anyone know if this is HDMI 1.4 or 1.3?

Because one source claims it is 1.3. And that doesn't seem to make sense right now.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/ ... -un55c7000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

You think this board is full of Samsung insiders?

I bet it's HDMI 1.4, and probably supports checkerboard and RealD formats in manual mode as well.

ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

DmitryKo wrote:I bet it ... probably supports checkerboard ... in manual mode as well.
You mean you think it may support existing "computer 3D checkerboard" input (like most DLP 3D HDTVs)? That would be good news even if it is half-resolution. But I got the impression that Samsung wants to have a clean cut from the "old 3D" (e.g. pretend its existing 3D-Ready HDTVs do not exist, no plan to support them).

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

ssiu wrote:Samsung wants to ... pretend its existing 3D-Ready HDTVs do not exist
They just don't do major updates which expand functionality of existing products well beyond their initial advertised specs, and as I said earlier, this is quite characteristic of most consumer electronics which are not nearly as expandable and updatable (and expensive) as many professional products.

ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

DmitryKo wrote:
ssiu wrote:Samsung wants to ... pretend its existing 3D-Ready HDTVs do not exist
They just don't do major updates which expand functionality of existing products well beyond their initial advertised specs, and as I said earlier, this is quite characteristic of most consumer electronics which are not nearly as expandable and updatable (and expensive) as many professional products.
I understand that part, but if Samsung cares about "old checkerboard 3D", it can make the new Samsung 3D Blu-Ray players also output checkerboard 3D (i.e. works with existing Samsung 3D HDTVs without needing modification on the TV side) in addition to all the "new HDMI 1.4 3D" formats. That generates goodwill among existing Samsung 3D HDTV owners, and give them reason to buy Samsung 3D Blu-Ray player over competitor models (which do not support checkerboard 3D -- there is no reason/incentive for other manufacturers to do so), earning Samsung more money. And yet it doesn't seem like Samsung plan to do that.

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

ssiu wrote:make the new Samsung 3D Blu-Ray players also output checkerboard 3D ... yet it doesn't seem like Samsung plan to do that
The problem as I see it, Samsung were mostly marketing checkerboard 3D as an extra feature for enthusiasts. It requires you to buy a "3D starter pack" from DDD/TriDef, install the drivers, and pay $15 per each game license; most users would never get beyond the first step. Featuring checkerboard in a Blu-ray player is whole another story. It's can't really provide the expected "plug and play" experience - you can't just connect a Blu-ray player, insert a Blu-ray 3D title and start playing in full stereo; there has to be some serious menu browsing before you can even use it, and that is not acceptable for a consumer electronics device. And then again, Samsung has started supporting high-definition .MKV and .AVI in their players and televisions only when Chinese/Taiwanese competition flooded the market with cheap media player boxes.

winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by winlonghorn »

Kimber wrote:Does anyone know if this is HDMI 1.4 or 1.3?

Because one source claims it is 1.3. And that doesn't seem to make sense right now.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/ ... -un55c7000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to Sony, 1.3 will be able to do full hd 3d, so I am guessing it might be 1.3. Although, it would be an advanced version of 1.3 as Sony says that the only reason that their blu ray player isn't calling the ports 1.4 is due to a few minor parts of the spec that they don't support yet. :)

Return to “MTBS Newswire”