"Avatar" closing in on "Titanic" record

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by metalqueen »

by Carl DiOrio

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The four-day Martin Luther King Day weekend features a box office smackdown between "Avatar" and the tag-team pairing of two new pictures.

If James Cameron's behemoth manages to beat the newcomers, it would be the first to top the rankings for five consecutive weeks since "The Sixth Sense" in 1999.

It will also keep tongues wagging over its prospects for cruising past Cameron's "Titanic" in the history books.
Read the whole story here: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/1001 ... _boxoffice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

Neil

Re: "Avatar" closing in on "Titanic" record

Post by Neil »

Has anyone captured 3D footage of James Cameron laughing his way to the bank yet? Anyone?

Just for fun, where do you think James Cameon makes his deposits? What is "the official bank of Avatar"?

Regards,
Neil

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

For Cameron I think its more about creating a movie that people love. I mean, he was already rich. Its not like he needed the money.

BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by BlackShark »

I'm confident avatar will break the Titanic record but i think it won't represent the same achievement due to
-inflation : 1.8Bn$ of today don't represent the same as 1.8Bn$ of 10 years ago
-the higher ticket prices of big multiplex cinemas + 3D surcharge
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501

koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by koshien »

BlackShark wrote:I'm confident avatar will break the Titanic record but i think it won't represent the same achievement due to
Those are valid reasons, but we have to say Titanic did not have piracy problems due to the internet, while AVATAR might have some problems with it (at least, for people who do not care of missing out the 3D experience).

BlackShark, can I ask you a question...? I have just seen AVATAR here in Italy and I wanted to enjoy it again in IMAX 3D in France (no AVATAR in IMAX 3D here in Italy)...could you suggest me and share some info?
I was thinking to watch it here: http://www.cinemasgaumontpathe.com/cine ... 2010-01-14
If you have suggestions on theater-quality or other IMAX 3D theaters, that would be really useful as I am going to go with a friend of mine during the first days of February.
Thank you :wink:

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Those are valid reasons, but we have to say Titanic did not have piracy problems due to the internet, while AVATAR might have some problems with it (at least, for people who do not care of missing out the 3D experience).
yeah hopefully this will be fixed soon
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

koshien

Post by koshien »

ops, my bad.

BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by BlackShark »

koshien wrote:
BlackShark wrote:I'm confident avatar will break the Titanic record but i think it won't represent the same achievement due to

BlackShark, can I ask you a question...? I have just seen AVATAR here in Italy and I wanted to enjoy it again in IMAX 3D in France (no AVATAR in IMAX 3D here in Italy)...could you suggest me and share some info?
I was thinking to watch it here: http://www.cinemasgaumontpathe.com/cine ... 2010-01-14
If you have suggestions on theater-quality or other IMAX 3D theaters, that would be really useful as I am going to go with a friend of mine during the first days of February.
Thank you :wink:
The only non-theme-park imax 3D cinema i have gone to is the one from "La Geode" in downtown Paris, which is I think the biggest or second biggest screen in europe. but i don't thnik it shows Avatar, it's mainly a documentary cinema.

So I have never been to the Gaumont cinema you mention but i've walked in front of it a few times. It is located in the disney Village, right in front of the entrance of DisneyLand Paris.
Basically when you get out of the train station, it's right in front of you next to the unmissable planet hollywood restaurant.
I do not know the trains timetables at the Disney train station (right in front of the cinema) but i guess there are no trains anymore after the movie ends, i think you may be able to catch one of the last RER trains (which go to downtown paris), so you'd better go there by car or have a night at the hotel (but i know the disney hotels are very expansive). so you'd better plan an entire trip DisneyLand + Avatar week end.
I guess the movie you want to see is the english version. In French cinemas, the english versions of movies are labelled "VO" (version originale) or "VOST" (version originale sous-titrée). all of them have french subtitles. I have never seen any cinema playing english versions without subtitles.

I meh! at the piracy argument.
The link between piracy and cinema ticket sales are very difficult to analyse, according to the industry the more piracy the less sales but there have been many occurences where the exact opposite happened. It is also very disturbing that even with the ever growing piracy, the french cinema association announced that the absolute record of entries in french cinemas has been beten two years in a row.
For example in 2008, the french film "Bienvenue chez les chtis" was the most pirated french film of all time, and yet it managed to equal the sales of Titanic (in france only). It's not a blockbuster film, it's not an action film, not even a love story, just a simple comedy.

There are mutual influences between the amount of film piracy and the number of entries in cinemas but they are very complex : no study yet has been able to determine how they work together, so i would not dare to try and put it into the Avatar revenues, since i do not know whether piracy diminishes or participates in the success of Avatar.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501

koshien

Post by koshien »

BlackShark wrote:[The only non-theme-park imax 3D cinema i have gone to is the one from "La Geode" in downtown Paris, which is I think the biggest or second biggest screen in europe. but i don't thnik it shows Avatar, it's mainly a documentary cinema.

So I have never been to the Gaumont cinema you mention but i've walked in front of it a few times. It is located in the disney Village, right in front of the entrance of DisneyLand Paris.
Basically when you get out of the train station, it's right in front of you next to the unmissable planet hollywood restaurant.
I do not know the trains timetables at the Disney train station (right in front of the cinema) but i guess there are no trains anymore after the movie ends, i think you may be able to catch one of the last RER trains (which go to downtown paris), so you'd better go there by car or have a night at the hotel (but i know the disney hotels are very expansive). so you'd better plan an entire trip DisneyLand + Avatar week end.
I guess the movie you want to see is the english version. In French cinemas, the english versions of movies are labelled "VO" (version originale) or "VOST" (version originale sous-titrée). all of them have french subtitles. I have never seen any cinema playing english versions without subtitles.
Thanks a lot! :wink:
I am writing them right now to know if I can buy tickets for this Saturday :wink:

Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

cybereality wrote:I mean, he was already rich. Its not like he needed the money.
I doubt he shares that opinion, a lot.

The proof is in the PG-13 rating, this is a movie about war (among other things) and yet it's rated PG-13 and i guarantee this isn't for artistic reasons.

Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

koshien wrote:
BlackShark wrote:but we have to say Titanic did not have piracy problems due to the internet
I disagree. If it wasn't for the internet this movie wouldn't have been nearly as big as it is, so that more than compensate the piracy.

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by PalmerTech »

I wish the pirates would use a proper dual camera job with proper polarization filters. Then make something I could watch on my IZ3D monitor. :P

cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

PalmerTech wrote:I wish the pirates would use a proper dual camera job with proper polarization filters. Then make something I could watch on my IZ3D monitor. :P

Just wait for the 3D blueray rips... If they become popular. Pirates will find a way to cam-rip the 3D show... It is only a matter of time.

Its is the same thing as Rule 34 and Rule 35. (encyclopediadramatica tells you what it is)

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by PalmerTech »

Why use ED? Go straight to the source. ;)

I remember reading that Avatar would launch on normal Blu-Ray first, then eventually get to 3D when 3D displays have decent penetration. In that case, there might not be a 3D avatar Blu-Ray till 2011. :(

Return to “MTBS Newswire”