Avatar's 3D planet leaves moviegoers 'depressed and suicidal

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Avatar's 3D planet leaves moviegoers 'depressed and suicidal

Post by metalqueen »

SERIOUSLY?
Avatar's 3D planet leaves moviegoers 'depressed and suicidal'
What do you mean it's not real?
by Marc Chacksfield

James Cameron's opus Avatar may well be the kick-start 3D needs to take over the AV world, but the director has made the planet of Pandora so lifelike that moviegoers leaving cinemas are feeling 'depressed' and 'suicidal' over the thought of not actually being able to visit the planet in real life.

The web has been awash with slightly delusional fans who have gone on to the 'Avatar Forums' where there are subjects such as: 'Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible,' which has over 1,000 posts so far.
Read the whole story here: http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/ ... al--663355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

cybereality

Re: Avatar's 3D planet leaves moviegoers 'depressed and suicidal

Post by cybereality »

I know, I couldn't believe it when I read the article. I mean, I've seen the movie 3 times but some people just take it too far.

Neil

Post by Neil »

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qalNX5G94[/youtube-hd]

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe...just maybe...they didn't like the movie? I mean, it's almost three hours long!

Regards,
Neil

budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

Discussion about Avatar seems to come up often in general conversation with people I've met casually.

Some have seen it in 2D unaware there was a 3D version.

Some have seen the 2D version and now want to go see the 3D version.

Others whom I thought weren't avid movie goers, let alone 3D fans, have startled me when they told me they have seen it already and it was their first 3D movie. This was common.

A friend who I saw it with, initially complained that she had a long day and the movie was - surprise .... 3 hours long. She is the type that can doze off easily. Well, she stayed fully awake through the movie. Days later she still vividly remembers the complete movie and reports flashbacks in her dreams of Pandora.

In relation to this thread, two people have told me outright they wish to take a travel vacation to Pandora.

I have an idea which may offer temporary relief to sufferers.

The scenery in these beautiful 3D movies and video games should be made into a video travelog, for 3D displays.

We have seen those swimming tropical fish as screen-savers on monitors, but why not go further.

Developers just need to take out all the unnecessary distractions from their content, and just make a dreamy 3D virtual tour from the existing scenery. Think of it as an advanced version of Far Cry.

This could be considered an artform in itself. Why not have 3D video pictureframes showing these luscious out-takes.

They could be wall mounted in the office and may even appear at the hairdressers, the dentist, the psyche, or the doctor's waiting room.

Personally, I would like to see Venice from Assassins Creed 2 done this way too.

Thanks.

Likay
Petrif-Eyed
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by Likay »

James Cameron's opus Avatar may well be the kick-start 3D needs to take over the AV world, but the director has made the planet of Pandora so lifelike that moviegoers leaving cinemas are feeling 'depressed' and 'suicidal' over the thought of not actually being able to visit the planet in real life.
Have it occured to anyone this might be the most ultimate flattering lines ever! :D
The web has been awash with slightly delusional fans who have gone on to the 'Avatar Forums' where there are subjects such as: 'Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible,' which has over 1,000 posts so far.
If i've seen a topic like this and had to fill in i would agree that i surely miss the oppurtunity to go to Pandora once in my lifetime. And that would make it 1001 posts even if i don't fully agree with the topic itself. Some read sentences like the devil reads the bible... :roll:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Post by Okta »

More proof that companies are totally missing the opportunity for VR to be THE BIGGEST THING EVER. Its mind boggling that its been totally ignored this long.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

GordoSan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GordoSan »

I think that the suicidal thing sounds completely made up, or taking somebody's ramblings out of context.

Hey budda, sounds like they should bring back those Viewmaster vacation discs like they had with many of the world's travel destinations, with Pandora instead. Speaking of Viewmaster, a tie-in (maybe like this) is a sorely missed opportunity.
Neil wrote: [snip]youtubemovie[/snp]
Has it occurred to anyone that maybe...just maybe...they didn't like the movie? I mean, it's almost three hours long!

Regards,
Neil
I don't get it. They want to go back and stay there, which would be the opposite of Elaine's reaction to The English Patient or whatever the movie was.

crim3
Certif-Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by crim3 »

GordoSan wrote:I don't get it. They want to go back and stay there, which would be the opposite of Elaine's reaction to The English Patient or whatever the movie was.
A neverending movie that you don't like can make you feel depressed and suicidal :)
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

I was sure depressed, though not exactly suicidal, when I came to watch Avatar in IMAX 3D, for the second time, and learned that I needed to buy tickets 2 days in advance to get on that day's sessions. It was one of only two IMAX theaters in the town and I had to drive a full hour on a highway.

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

mm I don't wanna be stuck on a planet, no matter how beautiful where everyone and their grandma is trying to kill/eat me.

Maybe it's cause I also have an iz3d at home and everyone else was returning to their boring monoscopic lives
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “MTBS Newswire”