Three challenges for 3D TV

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by metalqueen »

by John P. Falcone

CES 2010 doesn't start until later this week, but I can already tell you what the biggest trend will be: 3D TV. While 3D was teased at the 2009 CES, for 2010 we'll be seeing manufacturers tout actual products that consumers will be able to buy by next Christmas (if not much earlier). But my question is: Does anybody actually want to buy it?

The industry thinks 3D is a slam dunk. It's already a hit in theaters--almost half of the top-10 highest grossing movies of 2009 were offered in 3D--so the thought is it should translate perfectly to the home. And the current technology is widely agreed to be superior to the red/blue anaglyph method used throughout the middle-to-late 20th century.
Read the whole story here: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10415690-269.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Three challenges for 3D TV

Post by winlonghorn »

metalqueen wrote:
by John P. Falcone

CES 2010 doesn't start until later this week, but I can already tell you what the biggest trend will be: 3D TV. While 3D was teased at the 2009 CES, for 2010 we'll be seeing manufacturers tout actual products that consumers will be able to buy by next Christmas (if not much earlier). But my question is: Does anybody actually want to buy it?

The industry thinks 3D is a slam dunk. It's already a hit in theaters--almost half of the top-10 highest grossing movies of 2009 were offered in 3D--so the thought is it should translate perfectly to the home. And the current technology is widely agreed to be superior to the red/blue anaglyph method used throughout the middle-to-late 20th century.
Read the whole story here: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10415690-269.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it me or does the author of this article sound skeptical? I wish people would quit being so ignorant about 3D!

crim3
Certif-Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by crim3 »

winlonghorn wrote:Is it me or does the author of this article sound skeptical? I wish people would quit being so ignorant about 3D!
Most people (yes, I mean most and not a few) don't realize that they are seeing in stereo all the time. They don't know that a stereo display is just allowing us to do what we are already doing every single second the eyes are opened. With this in mind, a stereo displays seems like a magical technology to generate a weird and unnatural effect that, for some people, only distracts from the content and label it as a bad thing.
I hear a guy on the radio saying that he wanted to wear the 3D glasses at the street to see the world in 3D!
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760

soundstorm
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by soundstorm »

Although I'm a 3D Freak too and would love the whole world to be in 3D Fever, I can understand the scepticism of the author. I find it hard to believe too that people will be willing to put 3D glasses on just to watch Sports or normal TV stuff. Its just not comfortable... Most of the people I ask reply that they wouldnt like to wear glasses while watching TV. :cry:

Of course, for watching movies maybe there will be some enthusiasts that will like it, but i doubt it will be the vast majority. I hope I'm wrong :!:

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

I hear a guy on the radio saying that he wanted to wear the 3D glasses at the street to see the world in 3D!
yeah this is soon becoming a standard joke - whenever you give anyone 3d glasses they put em on, look around and say "o wow I see in 3d!" while thinking they are original. 80% of people say this exact same thing
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

I think the best option is for 3D to run in conjunction with 2D. Why can't we have both? As a 3D enthusiast I don't want to watch "everything" in 3D preferring to leave it for special events like gaming, or watching a movie or perhaps a big sporting event.

Gae43

craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by craylon »

soundstorm wrote:Although I'm a 3D Freak too and would love the whole world to be in 3D Fever, I can understand the scepticism of the author. I find it hard to believe too that people will be willing to put 3D glasses on just to watch Sports or normal TV stuff. Its just not comfortable... Most of the people I ask reply that they wouldnt like to wear glasses while watching TV. :cry:

Of course, for watching movies maybe there will be some enthusiasts that will like it, but i doubt it will be the vast majority. I hope I'm wrong :!:
hmmm interesting since I see it the other way around:

sports: as soccer fan I would love to see each event in 3d because the feeling of the handling of the ball and the position of the players greatly improve with depth
movies: I'd say at least half of the movies I like are more story and dialog driven so 3d wouldnt improve them so much while on the other hand of course action movies with spectacular visuals would even be better in 3d

I'm hoping on a huge success of 3d tv because for me its a neccessary stepping stone to real immersive 3d with content for hmds i.e. where you could move around in the virtual environment or at least be able to look left and right and change perspective on top of the s3d thats heading for us in the coming years.

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Gae43 wrote:I think the best option is for 3D to run in conjunction with 2D. Why can't we have both? As a 3D enthusiast I don't want to watch "everything" in 3D preferring to leave it for special events like gaming, or watching a movie or perhaps a big sporting event.

Gae43

mm I'd love to watch eeeeeverything in 3d- from family guy to avatar to law&order to al jazeera
Most of the people I ask reply that they wouldnt like to wear glasses while watching TV.
meh that's the initial social knee-jerk reaction - once they see someone with a 3dtv most will instantly want one. Why are headphones- gross things that touch your ears and hair somehow accepted while glasses are not?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “MTBS Newswire”