Read the whole story here: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/0912 ... _boxoffice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"Avatar" leads box office, despite blizzard
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Titanic" director James Cameron's "Avatar," a 3-D extravaganza hyped as a giant leap in cinematic prowess, ruled the worldwide box office during its first weekend even as North American sales were hit by an enormous snow storm, its distributor said on Sunday.
The film -- one of the most expensive ever made -- earned an estimated $232.2 million from North America and 106 foreign markets, according to News Corp's 20th Century Fox, provisionally the ninth-biggest opening of all time.
Moviegoers in the United States and Canada chipped in $73 million, far short of enthusiastic forecasts in the $85 million range. Top contributors to the $159.2 million foreign total included Russia ($21 million), France ($19 million) and the U.K. ($14.2 million).
Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- 3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
- Posts: 1981
- Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:31 pm
- Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.