Read the whole story here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 185208bec7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;'Avatar' grosses $3.5 mil since midnight
First-weekend haul expected to exceed $80 mil
by Carl DiOrio
"Avatar" is off and running.
James Cameron's epic sci-fi actioner rang up an estimated $3.5 million in domestic boxoffice from 12:01 a.m. Friday performances.
Toting a running time of more than 2 1/2 hours, "Avatar" unspooled in a mix of 3D and 2D venues amid mostly positive reviews and broad expectations of a first-weekend haul exceeding $80 million. Though nowhere near any records, the solid witching-hour coin will help keep the Fox release on track as it strives to reach that sort of rarefied range.
The current record-holder for midnight openings, Summit Entertainment's "The Twilight Saga: New Moon," grossed $26.3 million in its opening night last month. But the "Twilight" sequel was a fan-driven movie more apt to register a big midnight sum.
"Avatar" -- which until the Summit pic was not based on a book but an original concept and screenplay -- was never likely to set a midnight record.
Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- 3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
- Posts: 1981
- Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:31 pm
- Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.