Box office boost shows 3D is here to stay

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by metalqueen »

by Romain Raynaldy

LOS ANGELES (AFP) — Once regarded as a quirky fad for nerds wearing cardboard spectacles, 3D films are enjoying a mainstream renaissance and this time the medium is here to stay, entertainment industry experts say.

3D has come a long way since its 1950s golden age when films such as "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" thrilled audiences and these technological advances are fueling a box office boom.

From Pixar'**** animated movie "Up" to "Titanic" director James Cameron's upcoming science fiction epic "Avatar", 2009 has seen 3D movies return with a vengeance across North American cinema screens.

The bonanza has even led to talk of classic films -- such as Cameron's "Titanic" -- being reworked in 3D and re-released.
Read the whole story here: http://tech.yahoo.com/news/afp/20091104 ... 1104022202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

gamgamman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Box office boost shows 3D is here to stay

Post by gamgamman »

This is definitely good news, but I wonder why we haven't seen any revival of the stereoscopic classics like Creature from the Black Lagoon, House of Wax and Kiss me Kate. Surely it would be profitable to do limited run (possibly double features) of these films since they wouldn't have to be converted to 3-D. I'm glad 3-D is here to stay and more movies are coming, I just wish we could see some of the classics too!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I hope they DO NOT bring those classics back. They should stick to modern stereo methods and not taint this era with failed experiments from last century. 3D didn't make it for a reason in the 50's, don't mix that up with what is happening today. It would be acceptable if they remastered them and released on 3D Blu-Ray. Thats ok.

gamgamman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gamgamman »

I don' think any of the films I mentioned (especially House of Wax) could be considered a failed experiment. Polarized 3-D failed in the 50's because it required 2 projectors which could easily go out of sync and be misaligned. Cinemascope also contributed to the demise of 3-D in the 50's, it was billed as "the miracle you can see without glasses". I fail to see how releasing anything on Blu-Ray will boost ticket sales at the local multiplex. Showing Creature from the Black Lagoon won't spoil the box office take for the onslaught of CGI & Horror sequels that are "coming soon" from the 3rd Dimension, I promise. ;)

Return to “MTBS Newswire”