Math, Not Cameras, Can Create 3D

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by metalqueen »

by Linda Hardesty

3D promises to be a big topic at Cable-Tec Expo in Denver this week. CableLabs and the SCTE are co-sponsoring a 3,400-foot 3D TV Pavilion with demonstrations from some top consumer electronics manufacturers. (For more, click here).

Considering that CE makers such as Sony, Panasonic, and LG Electronics are participating in the 3D Pavilion, there will probably be an emphasis on their 3D-ready TVs.

But the TV set is just part of the puzzle. Video providers need to ensure the necessary throughput to deliver 3D. And programmers need to create more content in 3D. It’s a bit of a stalemate, with all parties waiting for consumer demand to justify the business case.

And the technology itself is costly. It’s expensive to shoot video using two cameras for every view – a left eye view and a right eye view - to create the stereoscopic 3D effect.
Read the whole story here: http://www.cable360.net/ct/news/ctrepor ... 38191.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other

Re: Math, Not Cameras, Can Create 3D

Post by Freke1 »

how wrong :(

BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by BlackShark »

Maths say 2D cannot be converted to 3D automatically because missing data cannot be retrieved out of nothing.
But magic is often more interesting than science... unfortunately
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cool concept.

"maths say pamela anderson from 10-15 years ago will come to my house"

"maths say I can have lucid dreams every time I fall asleep"

"maths say I will be king"
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by PalmerTech »

Theoretical question: Because a football field, for example, is always the same size, with evenly spaces reference points all over the field, it would be possible for a human, by hand, to go through football game footage and give each object, by highlighting either individual objects or entire areas, a specific Z depth and use that to create two different sides? I know it would be absurdlt time consuming, but it is possible, right?

Second, in a highly controlled situation (for example, a footbal stadium again), would it be possible for a computer to do the same thing as the human in the above situation?

It seems possible to me, just absurdly hard. Anybody wanna enlighten me if I am wrong?

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

PalmerTech wrote:Theoretical question: Because a football field, for example, is always the same size, with evenly spaces reference points all over the field, it would be possible for a human, by hand, to go through football game footage and give each object, by highlighting either individual objects or entire areas, a specific Z depth and use that to create two different sides? I know it would be absurdlt time consuming, but it is possible, right?

Second, in a highly controlled situation (for example, a footbal stadium again), would it be possible for a computer to do the same thing as the human in the above situation?

It seems possible to me, just absurdly hard. Anybody wanna enlighten me if I am wrong?
you are correct. What "professional" 2d->3d conversions consist of is teams of 3d modellers make 3d models exactly in the same positions as the actors/objects and use those to create depth by using them for the displacement for the second eye- way too time consuming/redundant when you can just shoot new stuff using 3d cameras
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “MTBS Newswire”